Brutal recordings :)

Thornspawn

Jul 27, 2005
Split, Croatia
First let me say hello to everyone because I'm new to this forum. So, hello! :)

I don't know if this topic came up before, but I am having problems recording my death metal vocals. I use an old and crappy Dixon mic (payed about 60 euros for it a couple of years ago) and my recorded growls end up very muddy and with lot of bass and not enough sharpness and edge. I was wondering is there any way, software wise (I use CubaseSX, btw) to clean up the recording to make it sound better.
Also i have noticed some bands use multiple layers of vocals (to make them sound fuller), and I think the effect is produced with a pitch shifter or simmilar software. If that is true, how do I set up the layers and the pitch shifter (or whatever effects thet are used) to get the before mentioned fullness.

Best regards,
Dave from Croatia

Your best bet would be to look into EQing...get some plugins and such. I'm no expert but you'd mess around with the graphs and toggles that come with the program to minimize lower frequencies, maybe bring out some mids and highs, that sort of thing.

Or it could just be that your recording setup in the first place isn't producing an adequate enough sound quality...or maybe your growls are overloading the levels or something...

Could be a range of things. Look into EQs I'd say.

Hello,
I think you should try with a popfilter and then record the same voice twice - it will give a fuller sound
Add a highpass filter - start cutting of low freqs until it sounds good to you
I believe you dont need all that bottom in the voices
for presence i think you should increase between 2-4 khz

i dont know about the pitchsifter - it depends on your music but i think you can try some small amound of distortion
hope that helps