Building a 1960a replica with better wood and straight design

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
I noticed my Marshall 1960a is really bad builded, with lot of free space between the wood, plastic handles, broken screws, poor woods, etc...
What I'm planning is to build a new empty cab with the same measures of my 1960 but with straight design instead of slant, using better woods, metal handles, good sealing and then, putting the g75t's in the new cab.
I don't like very much the slant design because is a little limitative regarding the micing options.
I've already build my own 2x12 so I know what I do.
Does it worth the effort in your opinion?

Go for it! I might build a cab someday, too, but I'm not sure I can find suitable plywood around here.

The only thing I'm curious about is how much of a difference the type of joints between the sides makes in terms of sound; how are you planning on doing it?

I will not do finger joints. I'll use screws and glue for every side (like in my 2x12). The important thing is that the glue have not to touch the screws because Vinavil (for example) destroy the screws during the time.

What bothers me is if it worths the effort. I hate the slant design but lot of awesome sounds were done with slants (also old Mesa's) and of course, if I'll do it, I'll have an empty 1960a cab :D
And if it'll sounds the same it would be a big delusion ahahah

Well I highly doubt a slant would sound any better than a straight (probably about the same, though the top speakers would sound worse IMO), and a straight would be easier to make (one big baffle), so why not? ;)