A little story of my cabinet of doom.

PD-Baraka

Feb 12, 2010
Sorry for a long story about nothing really :D Thought i would share this anyway.

We have all have the thought.

I wanna build my own guitar cabinet.
Some of us have actually done it.

My story is that i have tried some cabinets through my 10 years in several bands playing rock and metal ( mostly metal ;) ).

You have your standard marshall 75x75 cm and the slightly bigger engl xxl/mesa rectfier and krank cabinets, atleast thats the most used "bigger" ones.

I have tried out many speaker units from the likes of Eminence/mesa black something/celestions and scumback.

I fell in love with Celestions, mainly the greenbacks and the V30`s chinese.

When you play with your band being 195cm tall as i am this presents some problems with the speakers and where they are in terms of a cab being 75-90 cm in height, they where never quite in my face :D

Also i dont like slants at all, they have a funny thing about the sound that i dont like and i have heard im not alone in this.

Also at loud levels closed small cabs ( even the rectos ) sound congested and scratchy, its hard to explain, but i was done living with that.

So....

I said, let me build my own:

4x12, TALL!, sturdy meaning both in road use and in contruction so it wont vibrate like marshalls do, the back door should be tight to the cab, the speakers should be able to breathe so the sound stays open and lastly i wanted a design resembling the Port City cabinets with their baffles projecting the sound out of a front facing port.

I sat down and drew something on a napkin that i liked and got to my step fathers wood shop, knowing that im by far not a brilliant craftsman.

I build this monster of a cabinet, both in terms sound and size. Its heavy, its big in all dimensions and it has a sound projection like anything i have heard.

Though not as heavy as you might think, just a bit unwieldy compared to a standard marshall, but worth it, this one cab will smash any full stack on all levels, bring yours for a challenge, i have tried it. It even records amazing.

It has every inch of every panel reinforced on the inside, dampened with soft metarial on the parallel sides and it takes every combination of speaker units without compromise from 25w to 250w.

I have now used it for a few years to make sure it would stand the test of time, and surely it has.

I will change some things like a better jack plate of metal and soldered thicker wires and put wheels on it that i have had lying around since build day. Solid wood for panels. Then build a magnetic front grill and paint it matte black with thick rubber paint.

I plan on building 4 more now that i know exactly where to begin, i can build in the same time as this one.

Also it cost me half that of a standard marshall from Thomann.de.

Here are some pictures of it, not sanded or painted beside a 2x12 framus cabinet:

wp201305080081.jpg

wp201305080061.jpg

wp201305080011.jpg

wp201305080021.jpg

wp201305080051.jpg

wp201305080041.jpg

wp201305080091.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Looks awesome man! Love the DIY's, bet it sounds great. I might have to do this as well, Im thinking a 15" thrown in for da lowz, in the the same cab but in its own "chamber". :kickass:

Looks awesome man! Love the DIY's, bet it sounds great. I might have to do this as well, Im thinking a 15" thrown in for da lowz, in the the same cab but in its own "chamber". :kickass:

Sounds cool with the separate chamber for the 15.

I have tried a few 15`s but it was never my thing.

But yeah, with DIY you can get what you want and experiment for small money.

Hope to see pictures of your cab one day. :headbang:

I wouldn't say it's exactly a looker (no offense), but goddamn, I bet it sounds GIGANTIC.

Non taken.

I agree, its butt ugly.

But it was never the point to sway the ladies, more so blow them to atoms.

I wanted to show a different design and philosophy in cabinets, stepping off the path of the big names in that business.

I moved not long ago, so everything is all over the place, but i will try to make something with a sound this weekend. ;)

Also it will be with my new VGS guitar.