Cabinet/Speaker Comparison (MP3)

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
Thought I’d share this with y’all in case anyone would find it interesting. I was testing some tones, and recorded the “Gears of War” riff through a couple of different cabinets: a Mesa with Celestion Vintage 30s and a Marshall with 75 Watt Celestions. There’s no post-anything, so you can easily hear the difference between the speakers.

Mesa Cab Celestion Vintage 30s

Marshall Cab 75 Watt Celestions

Wow! What a difference. The Marshall sounds pretty crappy compared to the Mesa. Now if you put the 30's in the Marshall, do you think it would also be a big difference or close to the Mesa?

Both sound pretty good IMO, but the mesa has more "air" and punch. However, they both sound good in their own way. It would be cool to hear these in a mix w/drums & bass. Also a quad tracked mixture of mesa & marshall cabs would be nice :).

the mesa is the brighter more alive one...but my question is were your setting anywhere comp....i mean it seems to me that with a little work you could have gotten the marshall closer...but hey i am a bassist

Well, since Keith asked if it was a Krank I decided to do a couple of small clips. If anyone's interested, here's my loose take (I only know half the riff, but you get the idea :heh: ).

2 samples, one with gain on 4 with a higher Sweep (4) and more mids (4), one with gain on 5 with Lower (darker) Sweep (2)and less Mids (2) and more Bass (6). These are RAW, as recorded, no post anything other than raising the Level. Quad-tracked EMG81 into OD808 into Krank Revo into Mesa Traditional Rectifier 4X12 (smaller Mesa cab).

Matt, I am not trying to hijack, if my samples are not cool to post here, let me know and I will remove them.:) Just thought it might be an interesting idea to post them for comparison of amp/cab sounds. I know there are a lot of variables so it's not a brilliant comparison. But it might be useful to someone. I know I learnt quite a bit from your 5150 and Krank into Mesa Trad, Mesa Standard and Krank Revolution Cabs samples (in your old thread). As I told you before, I chose the Krank and Mesa Traditional based a lot on your recorded sample (as well as trying it in the store of course).

Might be useful.:zombie:

http://www.keepmyfile.com/download/758a2e1385564

EDIT:

Just for fun, I EQ'd the "Gain on 5" sample to dig it out a bit and tame the low end also.

http://www.keepmyfile.com/download/20b7491385748