Speaker cabinet designs

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
Hey guys.

Lately I've been thinking alot about the different types/ brands of speaker cabinets and how different they sound. I know that the wood and construction make huge differences as to how a cab sounds, but I'd like to know in more detail. Do you guys have any sites that help explain cab design in a bit of detail?

I've also been wondering if it's possible to mod cabs to get some more desired/ custom sounds? Say, so that you have a cab as with a huge Mesa lowend, but not quite as dry/ scoooped as a Marshall.

Cheers for any help offered. :kickass:

Daniel

I don't know dude bu real good question. I have contimplated making a guitar cab just for practice or maybe in the studio if it came out good. Honestly I think I could make one better than most companies because the thought of weight doesn't affect how I would build it. I don't know if it's worth the time or money though.

I've been thinking about 1X12" cab with 2 inch of rockwool attached to each side. I wonder if that would eliminate that 'small' sound that 1X cabinets have. If it sounds better (and I'm almost sure it will for some reason) I'd prefer it to a huge, heavy and expensive 4X12".

I've been thinking about 1X12" cab with 2 inch of rockwool attached to each side. I wonder if that would eliminate that 'small' sound that 1X cabinets have. If it sounds better (and I'm almost sure it will for some reason) I'd prefer it to a huge, heavy and expensive 4X12".

I have played a few small cabs in the past. I bought a 4*12 in the end. The Engl/Mesa/Marshall 2*12's might sound good, but I haven't played them. Some people around here have also had good results using a smaller cab for recording. I guess it all jsut coems down to how you can make it sound.

One thing that I want to find the answer to which might be worth asking here: is it true that the more air tight a cab is, the more forward projection it has?

I have played a few small cabs in the past. I bought a 4*12 in the end. The Engl/Mesa/Marshall 2*12's might sound good, but I haven't played them. Some people around here have also had good results using a smaller cab for recording. I guess it all jsut coems down to how you can make it sound.

One thing that I want to find the answer to which might be worth asking here: is it true that the more air tight a cab is, the more forward projection it has?
yes, a closed baffle keeps the speaker from emitting as much energy from the rear (lol) thus the remaining energy is transferred to the front. This effects low frequencies drastically more than high frequencies