Building a home studio

metatronatra

New Metal Member
Jul 3, 2008
www.myspace.com
Hello Neil,

I am currently attempting to build a respectable home studio on a modest budget. You're my favourite producer both in terms of your recording philosophies as well as the finished products you turn out, and I figured if I were to get advice on what sort of equipment to get, I would want your opinion above all others. I've already scoured your message board searching for as much info as I can as to what gear you prefer, but I figured getting the firsthand advice from the man himself would be the best way to go about this.

My goal in this endeavour is to be as self-sufficient in recording as possible, at least as far as demoing goes. I'd like to get the best equipment possible in my price range, but I'm not below spending a little extra to make sure the the item in question will still work well as I amass more and better gear.

Right now I have around $11,000 in savings, although I don't intend on spending all of that at once if it can be avoided. In that price range, what would you recommend as being the best pieces of equipment? I need to be able to record 2 guitars, bass, keyboards, drums and vocals, although not necessarily simultaneously.

At the moment, my setup consists of a Line 6 PodXT Pro into a MOTU 828MKII firewire interface which I record direct into my PC with Cubase SX3. I have Alesis M1 Active MK2 reference monitors as well. Obviously, this is not the ideal setup, but it works relatively well for arranging songs.

I apologise for the lack of brevity in this post, but I like to be thorough haha :lol:

If you could perhaps find the time to listen to a bit of what I've recorded with
this setup, it would be an honour. My band's MySpace profile URL is http://www.mypace.com/theenderband

The drums on these songs were done with Toontracks' EasyDrummer software, as I do not have the equipment to record a drum set yet. I'm still pretty new at this, as the tracks on our profile are the only songs I've recorded. "London By Gaslight" is the most recent and the closest I've gotten to attaining a sound I'm happy with given what I have at my disposal.

Any critiques, suggestions etc. would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
-Alex

ok you have got to get a peavey 6505+ amp - thats a must for a nice huge crushing tone, some active di boxes, about 3 sm57 mics, 1 sm58 mic, a cheap drum mic set (you can trigger all your drums instead of trying to get a decent sound from a mic) get a few condenser mics for picking up the room sound for recording guitars. a line 6 toneport ux8 is also sweet. its all virtual so you can change your tone at any time to whatever you wish, be it a 1920's vintage amp to a tripple rect. modern amp.

check out the m-audio site and look for firewire desks - they have a nice one that could record your drums and perhaps more inputs at the same time and its all digital so it will go straight into your DAW in protools or logic or whatever you use.

EBAY is also a great place to pick up some cheap recording gear - check it out