Building a new PC for 'studio' workflow, recommendations?

MartijnPaauwe

Mar 11, 2008
Dutchieland
www.mirdyn.com
Hey dudes!

I'm gonna save myself some money to 'frankenstein' a new PC for studio purposes, creating a glitch/bounce-less workflow. Starting from scratch with a new motherboard,tower,processor etc.

I've been looking around here and there and might have an idea where i'm working on, but i wanted to hear your opinions/recommendations :)

I'm sorry if there is already a topic about this subject, but i searched for some time but i couldn't find it!

Quad core processor
4gb or more RAM
Dedicated graphics card for dual monitors (and so you aren't taxing the motherboard by using the integrated graphics)
Nice motherboard (DDR3, plenty of SATA ports, PCI-E slots, etc - Gigabyte and Asus are popular)
1TB storage drive for your audio
Another drive, doesn't matter what size really, for the windows install
A 64-bit OS to utilize all of the system RAM (32-bit Windows will not read more than approx. 3gb) - Windows 7 64 has run reasonably well for most people on the forum I believe

That would probably do it.

Quad core processor
4gb or more RAM
Dedicated graphics card for dual monitors (and so you aren't taxing the motherboard by using the integrated graphics)
Nice motherboard (DDR3, plenty of SATA ports, PCI-E slots, etc - Gigabyte and Asus are popular)
1TB storage drive for your audio
Another drive, doesn't matter what size really, for the windows install
A 64-bit OS to utilize all of the system RAM (32-bit Windows will not read more than approx. 3gb) - Windows 7 64 has run reasonably well for most people on the forum I believe

That would probably do it.

+1

1. get quality components, do not save money on the motherboard, RAM etc.
2. do not save money on the case! get a chieftec, with a "quiet PC kit"
3. go 64 bit (RAM is cheap atm, so why not putting in 8GB instead of 3)
4. get windows 7
5. get a quad core
6. get a passive cooled GPU
7. get a PCI audio interface (if it fits your needs)
8. get two or more HDD's
9. get it built by "professionals"
10. have fun, fot that money you'll get a power machine!

cheers
S.

1. get quality components, do not save money on the motherboard, RAM etc.
2. do not save money on the case! get a chieftec, with a "quiet PC kit"
3. go 64 bit (RAM is cheap atm, so why not putting in 8GB instead of 3)
4. get windows 7
5. get a quad core
6. get a passive cooled GPU
7. get a PCI audio interface (if it fits your needs)
8. get two or more HDD's
9. get it built by "professionals"
10. have fun, fot that money you'll get a power machine!

cheers
S.

this
+ an additional cpu cooler

I think with that budget you can go for a Core i7 with 6 / 12gb RAM
If solid state drives would be cheaper I'd recommend you to buy one for your OS and DAW partition, but they are still pretty expensive

Not wanna hijack, but:
64bit?
Be sure that your plugs support 64bit, I'm waiting for the UAD update, so maybe is the change a bit early?!

I don't know, but I#m affraid to jump on 64;)

this
+ an additional cpu cooler

I think with that budget you can go for a Core i7 with 6 / 12gb RAM
If solid state drives would be cheaper I'd recommend you to buy one for your OS and DAW partition, but they are still pretty expensive

oh fuck, how could i forget the CPU cooler, my brain's fucked up!:lol:
ZALMAN, expensive but worth any cent!

cheers
S.

Not wanna hijack, but:
64bit?
Be sure that your plugs support 64bit, I'm waiting for the UAD update, so maybe is the change a bit early?!

I don't know, but I#m affraid to jump on 64;)

that's a sequencer thing, a 64 bit OS has NO (negative) effect on plugins!!! :)

cheers
S.

Keep in mind that a couple of companies offer 4U rackmount PC cases. Might be worth looking into if you've got rack space to burn.

+1 for the "do not save money on the case"
Also, get a decent PSU.
I'm amazed at how many people spend loads on HD, graphics cards etc and buy a cheap ass PSU and wonder why they have problems.

intel i7-920 with a Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler. You can OC it to around 4ghz safely on air cooling. My new comp has a i7-950 at 4 ghz easily. Didn't have to raise the voltage at all! If I had it to do over again I'd save the $ and get the i7-920 truthfully.
A Cooler Master HAF case is a good idea. I have a Cooler Master Scout. I like the handle on top and matte black finish! It's ominous looking.
The gigabyte UD58 motherboard has a Texas Instruments Firewire chipset. I have an Asus Revolution P6T6 WS mobo. no firewire :-/
+1 on a good PSU. At least 850 watts I'd think. Should get something CrossfireX or SLI ready if you want dual monitors with good graphics if you are ever going to game on it. 2 decent video cards as well.
You gotta have DDR3 Three Channel RAM with any socket 1366 (i7) cpu or your probably wasting your $. Dual channel will work but is not optimal. You can go with the i5's or i3's at a discount. I believe that's dual channel only. I would not go i3 or i5 personally.
i7's are warm processors. Maximum cooling is your aim. Plenty of case fans in a full tower case I'd say.
SSD's are very high still, but I'll upgrade when they come down. 2 150gb Velociraptors in RAID would be decent for OS and apps. 1TB or larger 7200rpm 32MB cache drive for files.
Add a fast esata external drive for samples/back ups too.

Good luck!

Should get something CrossfireX or SLI ready if you want dual monitors with good graphics if you are ever going to game on it. 2 decent video cards as well.

I don't agree on there, multiple video cards are a waste of money in my opinion. The new ATIs (5xxx) can run up to 6 displays at once (eyefinity technology) (also, even with my other 3 years old nVidia 2 displays are no problem). Apart from that, a second video card just takes more space and heats the whole tower even more up.

+1 for a good power supply

I suggest to get a huge tower and a decent mainboard (also huge) with enough PCI and PCIe slots, USB3 and SATA3 support, 1000 times more comfortable if you have space while working on the PCs inside.

I don't agree on there, multiple video cards are a waste of money in my opinion. The new ATIs (5xxx) can run up to 6 displays at once (eyefinity technology) (also, even with my other 3 years old nVidia 2 displays are no problem). Apart from that, a second video card just takes more space and heats the whole tower even more up.

+1 for a good power supply

I suggest to get a huge tower and a decent mainboard (also huge) with enough PCI and PCIe slots, USB3 and SATA3 support, 1000 times more comfortable if you have space while working on the PCs inside.

You are right. Probably overkill for a DAW but good for gaming. I have lower end ATI XFX Radeon HD5750 cards set up Crossfire for gaming. They are DirectX 11 ready and have the eyefinity crap. The only game I have is Crysis run on 1 24" HD Monitor. Looks good.
That gigabyte mobo I mentioned earlier has support for USB3. Is probably a good choice for OC'ing, 'future proofing' and durabilty.

What s/w do you use? are you using an existing interface or are you adding another one as well?

I have no issues recommending 64-bit if the 2 above items are happy with it. (ie SONAR + Echo Audio under x64 is great)

Hey dudes!

I'm gonna save myself some money to 'frankenstein' a new PC for studio purposes, creating a glitch/bounce-less workflow. Starting from scratch with a new motherboard,tower,processor etc.

I've been looking around here and there and might have an idea where i'm working on, but i wanted to hear your opinions/recommendations :)

I'm sorry if there is already a topic about this subject, but i searched for some time but i couldn't find it!

You are right. Probably overkill for a DAW but good for gaming. I have lower end ATI XFX Radeon HD5750 cards set up Crossfire for gaming. They are DirectX 11 ready and have the eyefinity crap. The only game I have is Crysis run on 1 24" HD Monitor. Looks good.
That gigabyte mobo I mentioned earlier has support for USB3. Is probably a good choice for OC'ing, 'future proofing' and durabilty.

I don't recall anyone asking for a gaming PC in the thread though :)