Built-in interface mic preamp vs. high end comparison clips?

BrettT

Aug 29, 2006
Austin, TX
Has anyone ever done a direct comparison between a built-in mic preamp from say, an M-Audio interface and a high-end mic preamp such as an API? I'm curious how much audible difference there is. Can't find anything when searching.

IMHO, You need to record a whole band to do a fair comparison. ONly this way shit will pile up and you'll notice how good/bad something is. Thus, I dont know if anyone ever will do this

IMHO, You need to record a whole band to do a fair comparison. ONly this way shit will pile up and you'll notice how good/bad something is. Thus, I dont know if anyone ever will do this

True enough...still would like to hear some simple comparisons, though.

I did a preamp shootout with a buddy a while back comparing his Project Mix I/O pres to my SCA's (plugged into the line in's of the Project Mix). We used an AT4040 (I think, his mic) and his acoustic and bass. It wasn't very scientific but the differences were audible. Even compared to the T15's, which are the low-end pres of SCA, the Project Mix sounded lifeless. I've yet to do a comparison with my Focusrite or Fireface, though.