Bulb - Testing out Superior 2.0 (live drums!) and Bareknuckle Warpig

bulb

Jan 4, 2007
Sup dudes, so i have been messing with a new mix template for Superior 2.0 since the sounds are so drastically different from Dfhs.
Im really happy with the way S2 sounds and even moreso how well it hooks up to my Roland TD-20, so i decided to jam around this groove (kinda goes of the deep end towards the end haha) and make a mix around it.
The playing is sloppy because im not the tightest drummer and i didnt bother editing or quantizing the drums because im a lazy babby.

I also figured this would be a good chance to test out my BKP Ceramic Warpig that i installed in my Ibby RGA 121, and its just such a great pickup to record with! Super djenty!

Anyways here are the clips:
I exported two versions, one with the GMS snare and one with the Nir Z snare, as they both sound good but drastically change the feel of the mix.
So here are the links:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6751139 (gms)
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6751134 (nir)

Enjoy!

[UPDATE] Mixed it a tad and programmed drums: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6751664

At work. Will definitely check it out later. Spent like 4 hours today working on my template for S2. Interested to hear what both of these sound like. I love how the Nir Z snare sounds on it's own but for some reason I lose what I like in a mix.

wow that sounds sweet to my ears! (the Nir Z snare)

Are you guys using a map to run the Roland TD-20 or just set up and go?

Bulb can you explain what post processing you did after superior or was it all done in superior? Those drums jump out and sound real punchy!

thanks dudes! i updated it a tad!
jauernis: actually not that much to be honest, its really just all in the program!
and i just used the e-drums preset and it worked great right off of the bat!!

I'd say Nir Z but perhaps with a little less ambience. It seems to go a bit too deep into the back. The focus really has to be on the rhythmic 'popping'. Good stuff on the whole. I look forward to your future exploits with Superior 2!

thanks dudes! i updated it a tad!
jauernis: actually not that much to be honest, its really just all in the program!
and i just used the e-drums preset and it worked great right off of the bat!!

Dude, to be honest ... I've never really been into all that Meshuggah-Math-Metal-allbut4/4-stuff. You really made me listen to all that stuff and appreciate it. That beeing said - this song is just great.

On your drumsound. I'm not really diggin the GMS-snare. So my vote goes for the Nir-snare. And just because I'm still behind all you other guys with my drum-sound: Would you share your preset? PLEAAASE :D

I think if the GMS snare had more room ambience, you'd have a winner. The NirZ has a bit too much depth, almost sounds vintage sounding to me.

Ack, I HATE the ringing of the GMS snare, dear god - it sounds good attack wise, but that "KHONG," :puke: I definitely think the NIR snare has more potential, though I agree about it needing to be brought a bit more forward. Still, the ringing on that one bothers me too, albeit not as much - are there envelope controls for the samples in S2.0? Cuz I would clamp down like CRAZY to get rid of that ring...

Otherwise, though, sounds bitchin'! You really went nuts with the fills, I like - gives a good impression of what all this thing can do. Still prefer your DFHS stuff, though - to me, this may be more "realistic" sounding, but the snare and kick don't have that same "KA-POW!!!" action, and that's more important to me than a ridonculous amount of room mics to futz around with

metaltastic, yeah it definitely needs a lot of work to get to the point where it will sound great in the mix, but its already sounding good after a days work, i mean thats compared to my dfhs sound which i spent years on haha, so i hope to make good progress with this and surpass the dfhs sound soon!