Burzum's Varg Vikernes busted

Sure. If California decides to let Charles Manson out of jail I'd have no problem with Mexico doing whatever they want with him. In fact, I'd encourage it.

25908307.jpg

And not surprisingly, 1994 (Hvis Lyset Tar Oss) was the last time he put out anything worth owning. Essentially, he's a douchebag racist who once had some very cool musical ideas.

Belus is a great record, and Fallen has some great tracks. Umskiptar isn't my cup of tea but it's decent.

The piece of shit should still be locked up. I got no problems with a nazi murderer being inconvenienced from time to time.

Let's get a few things straight here -- it's really not accurate to call Varg a nazi. While the Jews are the targets of many of his blog posts, he has verbally attacked many other races too. In fact it's something more along the lines of "this is what is good, everything else is shit". But that doesn't grab quite as many headlines as "NEO NAZI BLACK METALLER!!!!!" does it?

Second, he served his debt to society for the crimes he committed before he was even of legal US drinking age. He served his prison term. Whether or not he served out the full term is not the concern of you, me, or anyone else on this board. He paid his debt.

Third, "inconvenienced" isn't exactly what I'd call it when you are arrested for some purchases your wife made, on the grounds that you are a sympathizer for a terrorist who you publically condemned just a few months ago.

I am not a Varg sympathizer by any means. He is a great musician but far from a great person. But his kids should not have to grow up fatherless because of some 'suspicion'. His wife should not lose her husband because of an overreaction.

Sure, I used nazi as a catch- all term. My bad. How about fucking aweful racist filth instead?

I won't argue legal semantics nor get ruffled over you telling me how I should think. I think the system that freed him is a joke as well.

And sorry, we are just going to have to disagree. You calling a despicable racist murderer simply " far from a great person" shows just how far apart we are on our views. I'm not going to tell you how to think though simply because of differing views.

While I acknowledge his contribution to the foundation of black metal and musical genius early on, I find it irrelevant in the discussion.

Let's get a few things straight here -- it's really not accurate to call Varg a nazi. While the Jews are the targets of many of his blog posts, he has verbally attacked many other races too. In fact it's something more along the lines of "this is what is good, everything else is shit". But that doesn't grab quite as many headlines as "NEO NAZI BLACK METALLER!!!!!" does it?

Ehh, this where I disagree. He's openly supported Hitler's Germany on many occasions. That is by definition, a neo-nazi. Where I agree though is that I don't think that's grounds for imprisonment, beliefs are beliefs.

Hmm, I don't believe I told you how to think. I didn't intend to, anyway. Would be kinda backwards given the spirit of my last post, yeah? Unless you are referring to the "whether or not he served out the full term is not the concern of you, me, or anyone else on this board" line, in which case I directed that at everyone, myself included. You know as well as anyone that I have no problem with differing views on this board, or at least arguing with them.

Ehh, this where I disagree. He's openly supported Hitler's Germany on many occasions. That is by definition, a neo-nazi. Where I agree though is that I don't think that's grounds for imprisonment, beliefs are beliefs.

I don't think I've ever seen any of that support, then. Link (PM if you'd like)?

Unless you are referring to the "whether or not he served out the full term is not the concern of you, me, or anyone else on this board" line, in which case I directed that at everyone, myself included

I am indeed referring to that. It simply felt that you came out guns blazing at me over the incorrect use of the word "nazi" when my intent was clear as opposed to dissecting Mein Kampf.

Yeah...I am from the old southern eye for an eye justice belief and make no apology for that. I am liberal otherwise if that helps!

And I do know you have no issues and I respect that and your opinion.

I am indeed referring to that. It simply felt that you came out guns blazing at me over the incorrect use of the word "nazi" when my intent was clear as opposed to dissecting Mein Kampf.

Ah ok, sorry for that. I was being literal when I was talking about it being headline grabbing, not directing it at you -- see every news article written by a journalist who wiki'd black metal 5 minutes before writing about Varg's recent incarceration, every news article regarding his initial release from prison, every article about his escape attempts, every article ever really written about him by outsiders. I have a feeling that you have better things to do with your time than sit around and read his writings and watch interviews with him...

It's a powerful word that is thrown around too easily these days and it creates some serious problems for the music I like -- see Nyogthaeblisz and Chaos in Tejas 2012, Death in June in Chicago (2003?), Boyd Rice in Philly 2013, etc. Usually first thrown by people who know very little, if anything about the artists in question and it unfortunately catches on and becomes accepted 'fact'. This is the reason I even mentioned the bit about not being a Varg sympathizer in the first place, because all it takes is some dork with a tumblr to see you not immediately incriminate someone with a sketchy past, and all of a sudden you are a 'Nazi'.

Yeah... he's a world class douche. Honestly, I think that so many bands have expounded on his sound and taken it to better, more intriguing places, that I'm considering just tossing my Burzum discs.

I don't think I've ever seen any of that support, then. Link (PM if you'd like)?

I won't link or copypasta because I don't want to get in trouble for doing so, but most recently on his December 14th 2012 post he talks about how Hitler was right for trying to "expel" the Jews, and that the Jews systematically prevented the Nazi's brave and valiant effort to warn the world about the dangers of smoking. Wish I could make that up.

Yeah... he's a world class douche. Honestly, I think that so many bands have expounded on his sound and taken it to better, more intriguing places, that I'm considering just tossing my Burzum discs.

This is where I don't agree. Even his post-prison metal albums in my opinion are better than what the modern bands are doing these days, and "Det som engang var" and "Filosofem" are untouchable.

Can't we just call him a "racial purist"? I thought he was all about preserving the Norwegian heritage or something along those lines (not unlike the Nazi's in Germany I know). I have never followed him too closely because of his views, but he is entitled to have them. I also agree, he served his time.

Those of you saying "good" etc really need to get your heads checked.

Sorry, but it is a good thing that a guy with his extreme past and extreme beliefs gets some extra scrutiny if the police believe there is a potential threat. It turned out to be nothing, so he was released. The system works.

Substitute radical Islam for his neo-Nazi sympathies. Is it still unreasonable for them to take a closer look at the guy?

Sorry, but it is a good thing that a guy with his extreme past and extreme beliefs gets some extra scrutiny if the police believe there is a potential threat. It turned out to be nothing, so he was released. The system works.

Substitute radical Islam for his neo-Nazi sympathies. Is it still unreasonable for them to take a closer look at the guy?

Because his wife bought some guns? Still yes.