bussing

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
now if i take like all my guitar tracks and want to add say c4 to them on a master buss for guitar. Do i want just guitars coming out of master buss or do i want the individual guitars before master buss to be playing still??

Let's say you have the mono guitar tracks G1, G2, G3 and G4. Pan them how you like and send them all to a stereogroup channel called "Electric Guitars" (or whatever). Then put the C4 on an insert in the group channel and send that group channel to the 2bus. Voila!

when you say stereo group is that a stereo audio track or a stereo aux track and then after the stereo track you must also have a master bus and send to that or would the master buss be like the master fader?

Man, that reads confusingly...

The master bus is just like a channel that everything gets squeezed through right before you hear it - the master fader is part of that. The stereo group SMY1 said about is a completely seperate stereo bus that you create for the guitars. On the guitar tracks, there will be a menu or list or something saying where the sound is sent from that channel - it will probably read master by default, but you need to change it to point to the new bus ("Guitars" or whatever). Then in the "Guitars" bus, there will be the same menu/list/etc, which tells that bus where to send the audio next - again it will probably default to master, so you don't need to change it.

Steve

ok in protools i can pick audio track, mono stereo

or aux track , mono or stereo

and master which is stereo

and midi but thats beyond this

Now what im saying is i need 1 aux stereo track for guitar to buss all mono guitar tracks to it and put c4 on that

then another aux stereo track to be the master buss which everything runs too including drums and bass and vocals?? Probly throw a l2 on this or whatever ?? or am i still geting this wrong?

Then a master fader :loco:

broken81 said:
ok in protools i can pick audio track, mono stereo

or aux track , mono or stereo

and master which is stereo

and midi but thats beyond this

Now what im saying is i need 1 aux stereo track for guitar to buss all mono guitar tracks to it and put c4 on that

then another aux stereo track to be the master buss which everything runs too including drums and bass and vocals?? Probly throw a l2 on this or whatever ?? or am i still geting this wrong?

Then a master fader :loco:

I normally have 3 (basic) Groups (3 Stereo Aux Tracks) wich are:

Guitar_Aux (G1 - G4) ->BUS1-2
Drum_Aux (Drums *hoho*) ->BUS3-4
Bass_Aux (DI&Mic) ->BUS5-6

Just send the OUTPUT of the guitars to BUS1-2
DRUMS-OUTPUT to BUS3-4
and so on

I have 1 Stereo Master Fader. Typically "(Master)OUT1-2"

If all else fails the manual is a big weapon... and the DUC!

boom got it thank you thank you!! :loco:

Got confused for some reason but no master buss for vocals?

what if you have clean and screaming vocals would you need 2 vox busses if used at all?

sorry for the questions just trying to figure things out before i dive into my first full recording project with my band! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

broken81 said:
boom got it thank you thank you!! :loco:

Got confused for some reason but no master buss for vocals?

what if you have clean and screaming vocals would you need 2 vox busses if used at all?

sorry for the questions just trying to figure things out before i dive into my first full recording project with my band! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Really depends on you goals.....I am assuming though that you will not be smacking the screaming vocals with the same compressions as the singing vocals or and other post production for that matter. So with that in mind try setting up two busses and then sending them to a comped buss of the voxs.