Buying a desk for Mic Pres! Pros and Cons?

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
Right now I'm using my Soundcraft K-1 16 channnel as a live desk and use it for extra pre's when I'm doing drum tracking on location. It's been pretty handy having a load of extra pre's ready for as many inputs as I need. I've got like 14 line ins free without mic pres ( 6 on my Fireface, 8 on my Behringer ADA8000. I use a Mackie Onyx 800r for 8 more channels with pres.

I want to sell the K-1 as I don't like it for live stuff as it has a few annoying quirks ( only 4 proper auxes, channel mute doesn't mute auxes mainly). I'd also like a jump in quality to get some pretty nice pres and plenty of them. I'm thinking of replacing it with another desk. I also want to replace it with something with 24 channels for when I do bigger gigs that need more than the usual 16 the K1 and my other desks offer.

I'm thinking of getting an Allen and Heath Saber as there are some available for around 1k€ both 24 and 32 channels in what looks to be good working condition. The desk came as both a live and recording desk so has all the functionality I'd need for the gigs I'd be doing and has tons of pres for recording. From what I read the pre's are pretty nice and have been used on some great sounding records like Coldplay's and Carcass's Heartwork guitar tracks.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? I was looking at getting some outboard pre's and the BLA Api clones are 600ish€ for pair. If I sell my desk and buy the A & H it'd run me about the same. I know it's how alot of places used to run things but isn't the norm anymore but the price of analogue desks has really plummeted the last few years as everyone makes a shift to digital gear.