buying a used 5150

topsoul182

Dec 18, 2009
I'm going to buy a used 5150 off craigslist for $300 and this is going to be my first tube amp. What should i look for to see if its gonna break down in two weeks?

I'm going to buy a used 5150 off craigslist for $300 and this is going to be my first tube amp. What should i look for to see if its gonna break down in two weeks?

Play it, first of all. Man that's a fantastic deal in theory but it could backfire. Make sure it sounds like it should first, check the tubes while it's on to see if anything looks odd, obviously make sure you have a cab hooked up. play it loud, try all the channels. tap the tubes with a light plastic object while it's on. Worst case, if it works that is, is that you'll need new tubes. Eventually you'll have to do that anyway.

The only other thing to worry about is if the guy pulls a weapon on you and wants the 3 bills. Meeting in a neutral location is probably the best but you cant really hook a cab up in most places...maybe try to meet up in a guitar shop and bring your cab with you, tell the clerk you're just trying a head out and that you will buy something like a few sets of strings or something small if they let you use the store as a safe place to do the transaction? I dunno, not alot of easy ways to do this.

You could get the guy to do a demo video with the amp, just an idea.

Sounds like a scam. Don't buy it. Whats the guys phone number BTW? I'll call him and make sure he takes the ad down so no one gets ripped off.

Just buy it dude, get his phone number and all that and phone him to make sure he is real haha, but just the pieces of this amp would mak eit worth those $300!

it's not hard dealing via C-LIST. just don't be a fucking dumbass. tell him to meet you at a gas station.

when he gets there, "OH FUCK I ONLY HAVE $250 cash dude, is that cool? or i could just wait a week for this check i just put in to clear and then meet you again."

having driven far (because you said you lived another city away and drove just as far to meet 'halfway'), he will reluctantly agree to knock $50 off.

BUT WAIT THERES MORE....

upon closer inspection, the tube amp guru inside you busts out some fucking knowledge that says "DUDE THIS AMP IS FUCKED, i will give you $150 for it since it's gonna cost at least $400 for new tubes and parts to get it running".

BOOOM

Busted 5150 for $150.

it's not hard dealing via C-LIST. just don't be a fucking dumbass. tell him to meet you at a gas station.

when he gets there, "OH FUCK I ONLY HAVE $250 cash dude, is that cool? or i could just wait a week for this check i just put in to clear and then meet you again."

having driven far (because you said you lived another city away and drove just as far to meet 'halfway'), he will reluctantly agree to knock $50 off.

BUT WAIT THERES MORE....

upon closer inspection, the tube amp guru inside you busts out some fucking knowledge that says "DUDE THIS AMP IS FUCKED, i will give you $150 for it since it's gonna cost at least $400 for new tubes and parts to get it running".

BOOOM

Busted 5150 for $150.

Wow... just WOW...
I am disgusted, but at the same time I am strangely jealous of your dubiousness. o_O

+1 more to doing it, even if it's in shit-ass condition

and seriously, craigslist is the best shit ever. i got my 6505+ for $350 from some dude who was about to head off to the navy. he posted his ad a month before he was leaving, asking for $350...i hit him up a few days before he was leaving, and offered him half - he had no choice but to accept! :Shedevil:

I picked up the amp yesterday. It works perfect and sounds amazing! I asked him why he was selling it so cheap and he said it had a few scuffs and cigarette burns and that cuz it was painted green and orange. But none of that bothers me cuz now i got a 5150 in my basement!

+1 more to doing it, even if it's in shit-ass condition

and seriously, craigslist is the best shit ever. i got my 6505+ for $350 from some dude who was about to head off to the navy. he posted his ad a month before he was leaving, asking for $350...i hit him up a few days before he was leaving, and offered him half - he had no choice but to accept! :Shedevil:

All I have to say is THANK GOD for that ... cause I got a nice Krank sitting in my studio now :)

But ya I scored my 5150 for $450 on Craigslist. Scored a Mesa OS for $500 and a Saffire Pro 40 for $300