Buying Guitars from Japan?

Arystar

Kissing In The Shadows
Sep 26, 2010
Belgium
HI,

Does anyone here have experience buying a guitar from Japan store?

I am looking into buying an Edwards Pink Sawtooth, however I am really concerned about having it break during shipping.

anyone advice or experiences to share?

Don't remember on which shop I bought it, but I bought an Edwards E-AL-128 Sawtooth from Japan. Took extra long to be delivered, but arrived in perfect condition. I think Japanese people are very careful with their customer service, and they know that if it's going to travel all the way across the world, they have to make sure the packaging's solid and the content safe.

Reactions: Works0fheart
Don't remember on which shop I bought it, but I bought an Edwards E-AL-128 Sawtooth from Japan. Took extra long to be delivered, but arrived in perfect condition. I think Japanese people are very careful with their customer service, and they know that if it's going to travel all the way across the world, they have to make sure the packaging's solid and the content safe.

to me it is also weird since I see alot ofthe same pictures with different sellers.

You can also buy an Edwards through some European sellers if you want to feel safer. I have a friend who bought an Edwards on Thomann, don't know if they still seel those though.

I bought my ESP from Finland, but they ordered it from Japan. Took a while for it to arrive, but everything was in perfect condition once it did.

I bought my Jackson Stars from Japan direct from the shop.

It arrived in perfect condition. I've had an RR1 from the USA, an Ibanez PGM from Sweden. All ok!

What you're describing about is something I experienced too. I wanted to buy a Kevin Bond in green and there were 5/6 sellers all selling the same guitar for different prices. I googled it and it's common as apparently a lot of guitar and music stores don't want to deal with posting overseas so normal people with eBay accounts try to sell them for more money than they can buy them in store and then if it sells on their account, go buy it from the shop and post it to the buyer. I never went ahead with mine as the cheapest one was more than my Paypal Credit would allow at the time but I probably would go for it as you're covered as a buyer on eBay anyway with full refunds available if it doesn't turn up etc.

Bought a Jackson back in '09 straight from Thomann (I think they have a factory in Germany, but the guitar was from Japan), it arrived within a week, they brought it tidy in its case and cardboard packaging (and styrofoam mold in between unless my memory fails me), paid them on the street. On a sidenote, only bitch about the ordeal was before I sold it away a couple years ago, I'd dropped the open travel case from my sofa while playing, and once it's open the two shitty wedges are prone to damage, so one of them got bent. Took it to this depressed cobbler who couldn't figure what the hell to do about it for a month, then took it to an ironmonger past the street and he hammered it straight so it didn't bother that much. It was impossible to find a new wedge like that, which was insane, it's just a piece of scrap metal but still too unique to replace, so I figured that's the weakest link in the whole item, so be careful not to drop that thing while it's open.

Last edited:
I bought my Jackson Stars from Japan direct from the shop.

It arrived in perfect condition. I've had an RR1 from the USA, an Ibanez PGM from Sweden. All ok!

What you're describing about is something I experienced too. I wanted to buy a Kevin Bond in green and there were 5/6 sellers all selling the same guitar for different prices. I googled it and it's common as apparently a lot of guitar and music stores don't want to deal with posting overseas so normal people with eBay accounts try to sell them for more money than they can buy them in store and then if it sells on their account, go buy it from the shop and post it to the buyer. I never went ahead with mine as the cheapest one was more than my Paypal Credit would allow at the time but I probably would go for it as you're covered as a buyer on eBay anyway with full refunds available if it doesn't turn up etc.

It arrived in PERFECT condition, the guitar was NEW. I figured it was a shop returner, but it is NEW. <3<3<3
I asked double cushioning materials. and ofcourse Paid 150 euros shipping, Fedexinternational priority airmail.
seller on ebay: https://www.benl.ebay.be/usr/oisii-japan

BTW: Can anyone tell me the MM04 settings?

@mitchD21, it might be a good idea to put the JE1000k settings and the MM04 settings in the first post of the Gear thread since I cant find it there.

1Oc84D1.jpg

Reactions: <Arcane>
Nice! I was looking at one of those myself as they're a bit cheaper than the ESP versions.

Glad it arrived safe!

@mitchD21, it might be a good idea to put the JE1000k settings and the MM04 settings in the first post of the Gear thread since I cant find it there.

Why? What's so difficult about to just switch 1,2 or 3 mini switches on or off? If you only switch the 3rd on, you have that typical mid-boost. 1+3 is mid + treble, 1+2+3 is... don't know. The most aggressiv one for me. All off is simple that typical wha tone.

BTW: Can anyone tell me the MM04 settings?

Musamaailma says on their website about the MM-04: "Alexi’s signature setup is created with an EMG HZ humbucker pickup and the following settings: Dip switches 2 and 4 are on, gain boost around 50 to 80%"

Hey guys. Sorry for OT, but does anyone know why the hell all Alexi sigs comes with F-H2 + MM-04 instead of his actual signature pickup, the ALX + ABQ?

Why? What's so difficult about to just switch 1,2 or 3 mini switches on or off? If you only switch the 3rd on, you have that typical mid-boost. 1+3 is mid + treble, 1+2+3 is... don't know. The most aggressiv one for me. All off is simple that typical wha tone.

Because I want my pink sawtooth to have alexi's tone, So currently I am still unsure what the correct MM-04 settings is lol.

Musamaailma says on their website about the MM-04: "Alexi’s signature setup is created with an EMG HZ humbucker pickup and the following settings: Dip switches 2 and 4 are on, gain boost around 50 to 80%"

Huh, I never looked at the settings on my guitar and the previous owner had it set up exactly this way. Did the guitar ship this way? It's an edwards e-al-116.

Huh, I never looked at the settings on my guitar and the previous owner had it set up exactly this way. Did the guitar ship this way? It's an edwards e-al-116.
At least mine did, or they dialed those settings in the store without asking. The EMG ALX set also comes dialed that way right from the box. I got my AL-166 about a month ago. These new ones have all black hardware instead of black chrome.

At least mine did, or they dialed those settings in the store without asking. The EMG ALX set also comes dialed that way right from the box. I got my AL-166 about a month ago. These new ones have all black hardware instead of black chrome.
I got lucky with mine being new, I just bought via ebay as mentioned above. but where can you buy a certified new one? are they still being produced?
I ask because I want to expand some more to the collection on Alexi models...:D

I got lucky with mine being new, I just bought via ebay as mentioned above. but where can you buy a certified new one? are they still being produced?
I ask because I want to expand some more to the collection on Alexi models...:D
Ask a certified ESP dealer. At least Musamaailma told me they can order any ESP model by request. You should be able to get Edwards Scythe, Greeny, Pink Sawtooth, Katakana and Blacky at the moment. Espguitarsjp doesn't show the Katakana-model but somehow Musamaailma has added them on their website.

The current Katakana run on Musamaailma is rapidly selling out apparently, so if anyone is considering going for one I'd suggest pulling the trigger now. Delivery is in June.