BWBK Gromen's review of PPUSA XI

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
ProgPower XI – The Year That Glenn Would Soon Forget!

Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 14:33:48 EST

by Mark Gromen

After ten shows, Glenn Harveston has an excellent track record, running impeccably timed, first rate showcases. Offering many bands their lone opportunity to play these shores, under the best lighting/sound conditions, to a rabid fanbase, ProgPower USA has become THE model on how to operate a small scale, multi-day music event. That said, 2010 isn’t likely to be remembered all that fondly by its creator, though no fault of his own. A virtually spotless track record doesn’t matter to first time attendees when lengthy breaks between acts crop up. Despite finger pointing between tech crew and band members (spoken to after the fact, seemed dismayed roadies couldn’t handle in-ear monitors), such incidents taint the virgin’s experience, at least somewhat (judging from post-concert online postings). Turisas pulled out, to concentrate on recording a new album and 80s German thrashers Paradox broke up. Thus two of my reasons for attending were rendered moot, yet there was still the headliners, both friends: Kamelot (even with the last minute cancellation of vocalist Roy Khan) and HammerFall, plus a rare chance to catch Nocturnal Rites, the female fronted Delain (having met Charlotte Wessels at Wacken), fun, straight ahead Deutsche metal from Stormwarrior and Tarot (Marco Hietala doubles in Nightwish, with whom I’ve toured). There were also bands witnessed elsewhere, with varying degrees of affection, like Tyr and Leave’s Eyes and a host of prog acts completely unfamiliar to these ears: DGM, Oceans Of Sadness, Illusion Suite and Seventh Wonder. Oh yeah, there was the reunited Accept on Thursday’s pre-show. After the marvelous opening night in NYC, couldn’t miss seeing that again!

For much much more....
http://www.bravewords.com/news/146697

ProgPower Preshow, Plenty Of Power!

Posted on Monday, September 13, 2010 at 09:52:38 EST

By Mark Gromen

While the Thursday pre-show isn't actually part of the two-day ProgPower USA festival, there were many early arrivals who entered Atlanta's Center Stage Live to see/hear for themselves the rejuvenated/reunited German metallers ACCEPT. Much like the NYC debut back in May (see report here), the set was long on classics, from the opening 'Metal Heart' through to the concluding 'Balls To The Wall', which received a standing ovation. Some called it the greatest ProgPower performance ever. However, many in the less than sold out crowd were only casual fans, unaware of 'Bulletproof', 'Son Of A Bitch' or 'Demon Night'. Onstage, the band was all smiles, particularly guitarist Wolf Hoffman and bassist Peter Baltes, who played off each other throughout the night.

For more...
http://www.bravewords.com/news/146253

I love Mark to death. I consider him a dear friend and would do anything in the world for him. That's one of the reasons I will call bullshit on the following:

"(spoken to after the fact, seemed dismayed roadies couldn’t handle in-ear monitors)"

Sorry bro. We can handle anything. I can also take the heat with the praise when warranted. However, you either have to submit the information as requested in advance so we can be prepared or follow the rules to participate in the festival setting by the terms and conditions that we outline six months in advance. You can't just show up and change things on us without delays occuring. I made the decision to not cut any sets even so. In hindsight, I still believe that is the right call.

Thanks Glenn -
Plus - when things are mislabeled..... can't fix a mix that YOU CAN'T hear. With in ears - try wearing an ipod with phones, then asking someone standing 6 feet away from you "hey - did you like that guitar lick"?
And if you THINK you are turning up the guitar because that is what THEIR patch line was labeled.... can't fix errors like that

We worked through it as best as we could.. considering that, and one band had no tour manager or stage guy of their own.. we did the best we could.

Would also have helped if they had it set up where you could listen to the mixes (many stage managers or monitor guys that travel with the band have that ability - so we could have heard that the mix was messed up and mislabeled). Also - in theory - this wouldn't have been the first show if they had been on tour, and that may have been ironed out before they got to Atlanta. NOT pointing fingers, but willing to share blame.

So - yes - we hated the delays too - I was pissed - as we have NEVER run that long due to glitches , but we worked with the cards we were dealt, the best we could as fast as we could.

EDIT: As Glenn alluded to - many bands have their own input/patches set up when on tour. We sent out a FESTIVAL setting patch list showing the way our sound (and monitor) board were set up - and most bands were able to adhere to that. That keeps it easy for fast swapouts each year, and allows their (Band) sound guy time to learn what we are providing. The LONG technical delays in past years have been when bands have wanted to rewire/repatch the entire board... and then we have to either deal with that or re-patch for the next band. Other glitches (mic batteries, stage left blowing out during Epica, etc) happen, but they are fixed far faster when we can accurately track down problems and aren't stuck chasing our tails.

We will see what 2011 brings

Last year was my first PPUSA and I thought this year would be hard pressed to be as memorable for me since it wouldn't have that new car smell. I was wrong. This year was just killer. I had two friends with me this year that were PPUSA virgins and despite the technical issues, they had the time of their lives. And anyone here who's never been to a single concert that had technical issues give a shout... *crickets*.

I have several issues with things Gromen wrote that I posted on Jen Harveston's Facebook page about this article. I will say this, except for a couple of times seeing him briefly in the pit area for photographers, every time I saw Gromen when a band was playing he was in the lobby. Kind of damn hard to be objective and write this article if you aren't there to witness the band first hand, don't you think???

hey all things considering, this year was great, sure there were some problems, but they happen everywhere, the crew did a great job. I would rather wait for an awesome show than see something half assed and rushed. and the waits are not bad PPUSA has the coolest attendees in the world, the breaks give you a chance to meet some awesome people.

Thanks Glenn -
Plus - when things are mislabeled..... can't fix a mix that YOU CAN'T hear. With in ears - try wearing an ipod with phones, then asking someone standing 6 feet away from you "hey - did you like that guitar lick"?
And if you THINK you are turning up the guitar because that is what THEIR patch line was labeled.... can't fix errors like that

We worked through it as best as we could.. considering that, and one band had no tour manager or stage guy of their own.. we did the best we could.

Would also have helped if they had it set up where you could listen to the mixes (many stage managers or monitor guys that travel with the band have that ability - so we could have heard that the mix was messed up and mislabeled). Also - in theory - this wouldn't have been the first show if they had been on tour, and that may have been ironed out before they got to Atlanta. NOT pointing fingers, but willing to share blame.

So - yes - we hated the delays too - I was pissed - as we have NEVER run that long due to glitches , but we worked with the cards we were dealt, the best we could as fast as we could.

EDIT: As Glenn alluded to - many bands have their own input/patches set up when on tour. We sent out a FESTIVAL setting patch list showing the way our sound (and monitor) board were set up - and most bands were able to adhere to that. That keeps it easy for fast swapouts each year, and allows their (Band) sound guy time to learn what we are providing. The LONG technical delays in past years have been when bands have wanted to rewire/repatch the entire board... and then we have to either deal with that or re-patch for the next band. Other glitches (mic batteries, stage left blowing out during Epica, etc) happen, but they are fixed far faster when we can accurately track down problems and aren't stuck chasing our tails.

We will see what 2011 brings

+1,000,000 Thanks Glenn (& Wayne)

This was my 5th ProgPower and every year I say "this was the best ProgPower ever"....

I've come to the conclusion that one isn't worse or better than another but that each one has it's own batch of great memories, great music and an awesome group of friends I get to share it with every year...

I'm looking forward to next year's 'batch' :)

ProgPower is probably one of the few fests that allows bands to setup their own way, as opposed to saying, 'this is our line, you use it, or you go home.'

I didn't like Mark's review. But it seems like he was stating that the band's roadies couldn't handle the in-ear monitors, not the PP crew.

ProgPower is probably one of the few fests that allows bands to setup their own way, as opposed to saying, 'this is our line, you use it, or you go home.'

I didn't like Mark's review. But it seems like he was stating that the band's roadies couldn't handle the in-ear monitors, not the PP crew.

I thought his review was ok. Considering it was Mark, I was expecting a bit more. I remember some of his past ProgPower reviews to be more enjoyable. Needless to say, the guy can write.

you know glenn covers his tracks and the rest. If a band shows up ill prepped for this with ample info in ample time then its on them.....