Kamelot WILL perform at PPUSA XI as scheduled

That guy doesn't deserve the insults being slung at him. Kamelot is his favorite band, and he wouldn't be seeing the most recognizable member live.

If I was driving down to the States as I often do - a 16 hour roundtrip, usually with work the next day - to see Blind Guardian, and Hansi was sick with Mats Leven as his replacement, I would be completely frustrated to hear that after spending lots of money. Not because I'm saying "Leven is shit", but because I'm not getting what I committed the time and money for. You're an elitist bunch at times who need to lighten up lest you drive away the regular fan, the fan Glenn has been trying to attract by promoting the festival online and off, the kind of fan that makes up a decent chunk of the attendees, even though they might not have talked to their best friend Matt Barlow from ICED EARTH the day before or what have you.

I don't think any of us have any problems with people complaining and being upset that Khan isn't playing. That's perfectly understandable. But these last two that have joined the forum and posted, did it for a pity party and it was more their attitude and selfishness that annoys me. As I said to the previous one, Khan being sick is an act of God and there's nothing anyone could've done to fix the problem. What Kamelot is doing, is fixing the problem as best it can. The band, sponsors, etc. are taking such a bigger hit than these people.

While I'll agree that on this forum, we can be a bit elitist, this isn't one of those cases. We're not the ones with the bad attitude of the situation (and by no means am I implying that you have a bad attitude). These new posters are. The majority of the forum are moving on and trying to make the best out of the situation. I don't see how a "we need to lighten up" quote applies here.

It is sad when someone places their entire emotional investment in one band like this. Obviously they just don't get it:
ProgPower USA is not about one band. It is not about a group of bands. It is about a community of good people coming together for one weekend a year to listen to music and create memories that last a lifetime.

Favorite parts of this festival:
  1. Hanging out with my closest friends
  2. Hanging out with my extended family of ProgPower listeners
  3. Meeting Glen and shooting the shit, if only for a couple of minutes
  4. Enjoying the great city of Atlanta
  5. Lifting a glass with the talent. The bands that come here are the most approachable, nicest people in the business. Guys you see on stage one hour could be standing right next to you an hour from now. Try to hang out with Disturd at lunch, see how far you get.
  6. Discovering bands you would never have heard of had it not been for ProgPower.
  7. etc. etc.
  8. Coming to see a specific band: #100 on the list...

Yeah, all festivals have setbacks--but the positive way to handle it is to say that the money will be well spent no matter what, because it is the WHOLE EVENT we come to see, not just one band.

Oh and NB we know you are reading this. Slamming you only perpetuates the kind of attitude that really is not the norm here. So I would like to extend an olive branch: go to the poster thread, find my picture, and say hi at the show. Lets hang out. I think I can convince you that you don't need Kamelot to have a good time!

Finally, someone on this thread who understands what the Progpower experience is all about. I've gone to half the PP's and every year it's like a party with 1000 of your best friends. The commroderie, the friendships, the stories are something you don't get at other metal shows.

Sadly I'm not coming down this year but if I had Kamelot would have been one of the bands that drew me. Regardless of them playing without Roy or even cancelling I would have still had a great time.

I'm super disappointed about being unable to see Roy with Kamelot the first (and maybe only) time I get to see them, as I posted in another thread. But I'm glad that even though everything else in the US tour is postponed, PP will go on as planned. I've never been to PP (and to be honest, Kamelot was my main reason for going. Sorry guys, I just don't go to concerts to hang out) and though I almost sold my tickets out of disappointment, I've decided to go anyway and I'm glad I will at least get to see Thomas and the guys play. I'm hoping to meet them at the signing session and pass along a get-well-soon card for them to give to Roy when they get back. I'll only be around for Friday, but I'm hoping for a great time... (even on no sleep *crosses fingers*)

As for other people disappointed like me, I understand very well. I've also put more than I can really afford into this. But attitude is everything, and you have to look at how sad and disappointed Roy and the guys are, too. He has performed while sick in the past from what I understand, so for it to be so bad that he outright bails on the whole tour, it's GOT to be pretty damn scary for him.

what do you guys mean about Leaves Eyes? is there so kind of trouble? I haven't heard

LE and Blackguard were to tour North America with Kamelot.

usa2010new1.jpg

~Jen

I think you miss the point. Nearly 100% of the Kamelot fans here are disappointed not to see Khan perform with them. However, they (the band and fans alike) are making the best of a bad situation; Circus Maximus, like Kamelot, is one of the crowd favorites around these parts. If you want to bitch and whine and be Mr. Negativity, then that's 100% your own problem. It's not Khan's fault, or Kamelot's fault, or Glenn's fault, that Khan took ill. These things happen.

Really... what would you rather have them do? Cancel? You'd be out the same amount of money either way.

Absolutely right, here. The people who really have a legitimate gripe are the ones who didn't come to PP for Kamelot because they'd be touring....then ProgPower sold out, and now the tour has been cancelled. This may be why Glenn convinced the venue to release an additional 25 tickets for Friday.

I just hope Roy's condition isn't serious. The vagueness of the announcement scares me. That is what is most important.

This.

Coming so swiftly after the news of Nergal's illness (from Behemoth), it makes me shiver.

I'm hoping that now that they don't need to leave for a show at Jaxx the next day that Kamelot and Mike can hang out, relax, and have some fun with the rest of us knuckleheads this weekend.

Last year was my first PP and I have to say the Crimson Glory set with all the guest vocalists paying tribute to Midnight is something I will probably remember for the rest of my life. Completely different situation as this, but I think it will be a unique and memorable experience just the same.

A few of my friends are coming with me to PP this year, and their decision was based almost solely on Kamelot. With a small percentage of the decision based on my ranting and raving about how awesome the fest is, and perhaps a bit (okay a lot) of nagging to get them to commit. Kamelot without Khan was a bit of a downer to them, but this will be a unique experience, and now that the full tour is postponed they can easily go to a show with Khan at the helm when it starts back up again (assuming he's okay :erk:). Wouldn't have been possible if Mike was doing the whole tour. Bonus!

I would not worry, nor be upset at the knuckleheads who posted to just bitch. They are not real fans. Kamelot's fans would accept them in any incantation, for it is the music that makes the band. I am just disappointed that Kamelot will not be going through with the tour.

Anyone else besides me hear the fact that Leaves Eyes is carrying on the tour, regardless of Kamelot cancelling? I think this is a bad idea considering they don't exactly have a following and from what it seems all the venues are the same.