Kamelot Status for the Festival

When Mac was the vocalist for Threshold, I did indeed see him looking through a little black book of lyrics on stage!

Though it didn't detract from the performance, he was fantastic. Mac is quite well known for being forgetful with his lyrics I think...

Dan Swano did it with Nightingale too, but i am not even sure if they had ever played a live show before that one. so it's understandable.

IMO, no two guys have worked harder in metal the past decade than Thomas Youngblood and Roy Kahn. The touring and writing schedule they keep is insane, but the quality of their product is still top-notch. That they have been able to keep the pace they have w/o either being sidelined with an illness until now is quite remarkable.

Best wishes to Roy for a strong recovery!

this is really a total bummer but thanks to Kamelot for pressing on. Get well very soon Kahn. thanks to Mike for filling in should still be a kick ass show.:headbang:

The one thing I wonder is, how long does he have to memorize all those lyrics? If he does it with no help at all, he will be king.

It's Kamelot. Don't you know all the lyrics?:)

Seriously though, I have a gut feeling that one of the reasons they chose him was that he's probably a fan of the band and already knows all the songs. Rehearse a few times with the band, bang, he's got it down pat.

Kamelot's MySpace status today reads, "Rehearsing Nights of Arabiaaaaa! Long time since we played this one."

kamelot.png

~Jen

Kamelot's MySpace status today reads, "Rehearsing Nights of Arabiaaaaa! Long time since we played this one."

kamelot.png

~Jen

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE! Probably my fav Kamelot song, it's what got me into the band in the first place way back when.

All my best to Khan for a speedy recovery. Excited to hear Michael with the K-tunage!!

They played Nights of Arabia on the tour before last. Is time moving that slowly for them?:p

If they wanted to play some songs they haven't played in awhile, how about Fourth Legacy, or Shadow of Uther, or Wings of Despair?

I've never understood bands that only play from the last couple of albums live, and I hope Kamelot doesn't do that, as I heard they did on the Ghost Opera tour. Hammerfall won't be neglecting Glory to the Brave or Legacy of Kings, why would Kamelot neglect Fourth legacy or Karma?

As always, I'm late to the party. Although I'm a big Kamelot fan and am disappointed that Khan won't be a part of this tour, I'm more than intrigued at the thought of Michael Eriksen singing with the band. He's an extremely talented singer and a hell of a guy for stepping in at the last minute to help them out.

I can only shake my head at the naysayers, especially our new forum member. For one thing, why not give Michael a chance before writing him off? In addition, where does one live in order to put them in a situation whereby they have to pay $1,200 to see a band like Kamelot? If you live within the U.S., no airfare and hotel combination short of first class and the Hilton would add up to this amount. If you live anywhere else in the world other than Antarctica, Kamelot has most likely played near you, so why would you make such travel arrangements? Don't blame the band for taking the necessary steps to continue touring. Blame yourself for being stupid with your money.

As for Khan's health, I get the feeling that this has been a long time coming. The last two times he performed in Chicago, he sounded absolutely horrible. The first time around, I figured he just caught a nasty bug and that it affected his voice. When he came back a year later only to sound the same as he did the last time, I became suspicious. I sincerely hope that Khan will recover swiftly and that his voice will come back stronger, but I'm worried that he's losing his gift. I'm just going to hope that I'm being crazy here.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Hammerfall won't be neglecting Glory to the Brave or Legacy of Kings, why would Kamelot neglect Fourth legacy or Karma?
Because fewer people have heard those albums and songs from them generally get a much more lukewarm reception apart from certain classics (such as Forever, or indeed Nights of Arabia). Among Internet Experts(tm) Kamelot's middle-era output is often considered better than their latest albums, but in reality, they started selling FAR more from The Black Halo onwards. So I understand them completely.

Ardras was selfish, but WOW, you guys ripped him a new one so fast that I'm almost reluctant to voice a different opinion.

I'm one of the apparent few here who has never seen Kamelot before, and Roy is my favorite metal vocalist, period. I've always wanted to see Kamelot (with Roy) live, but honestly where I live there has never been an opportunity. Sorry, but I can't afford to fly across the country to see any band. This time, it just so happens that I'm working a job where I'm staying within a couple of hours of the venue, so I was unbelievably excited over this. I was going to go with absolutely no rest the night before (work, gotta love it) and of course almost none the night of the show, but it was going to be worth it. Now, "disappointed" doesn't even begin to explain how I feel, as next year I'll likely be working in the ass end of nowhere or doing a set that gives me no time off. So this was very likely my only shot at seeing them.

Now, that said, I completely understand them replacing Khan for this tour. It's too late to outright cancel, and forcing Roy to sing while ill would just make him feel worse and possibly threaten his long-term health. I would never, ever want that. I want him to get well and rest while he can.

I like Michael alright... but he's no Khan. What is one person's "once in a lifetime experience" is another's deep disappointment. I may still go, or I may try to sell my tickets. I haven't decided yet. But I just wanted to say all this because I'm sure while many, many fans are stoked for Michael, an equal number of us feel like the universe just sodomized our little hearts with a chainsaw. (I'm ignoring those who are selfish and stupid enough to slam the band, as they aren't worth counting.)

I know Kamelot have been playing some more songs that aren't usually in their setlist recently.

For example on the last tour they played Wander, The Black Halo, and also A Sailorman's Hymn from the fourth legacy (I vaguely remember somebody saying they definitely wouldn't play this!)

As for Khan, he did a fantastic job on both. You can find out for yourself in the usual places.

Ardras was selfish, but WOW, you guys ripped him a new one so fast that I'm almost reluctant to voice a different opinion.
Differing opinions are welcome. It's the attitude it's presented with that tends to start flame wars. And when you join a board (as he did), for the sole purpose of complaining, you should expect to get torched by the regulars. That's just the way it is on message boards.

I like Michael alright... but he's no Khan.
You mentioned you've never seen Khan perform live. I've been lucky enough to see him perform on four different occasions over the last nine years. I've also seen Mikael three times over the last few years. Preferences are one thing... we all like what we like. And if you prefer Khan, than you prefer Khan. However, as far as live vocalists go, there's no comparison. Mike is the better vocalist in a live setting. During Khan's last two performances, he began to fade half way through the show. Don't get me wrong, I love him on disc and he's one of my all-time favorite vocalists. He's also an excellent front man. However live, he's simply not as good as Mike. Which isn't to say that seeing Mike like will necessarily make you a fan. However, Mike's ability to reproduce live, what he does on disc, is very impressive.

What is one person's "once in a lifetime experience" is another's deep disappointment.
Understood. Assuming Khan recovers, hopefully you'll have a number of chances to catch them live.

I may still go, or I may try to sell my tickets. I haven't decided yet.
It will still be an excellent show. And I think it's good to come out and support the band.

Kamelot has done what, 5 US tours? There's still people who didn't get to see them?

I wonder if the people complaining that their "dream of seeing Kamelot live" or their "once in a lifetime opportunity to see Khan singing (lol)" are newer fans to the band and style. It just seems weird to me, since it's not that impossible to catch Kamelot live...

If you're a true fan, I think you'll go support the band instead of not showing up or selling your ticket... just my two cents..

He's also an excellent front man.
To be fair, I think this, more than his voice, is what most people really take away from a Kamelot show. He has a very special kind of frontmanship that makes standing close to the stage on a Kamelot concert an amazing experience. No wonder many people are disappointed by Kamelot after big outdoor festivals like Wacken, their whole show is made for small-to-middle-sized indoor venues.

That really does suck for the Roy and the band to have make such a drastic last-minute change, but SERIOUS kudos out to them for such professionalism. I hate hearing anyone is sick with something unknown, I hope Roy has a speedy recovery.

With that said... I CAN'T WAIT to hear Michael with Kamelot! He is one of my favorite, if not favorite, singer out there right now and this show just got WAY more interesting to me! Of course I've seen Kamelot 3-4 times now (even opened for them once), so I've had the multiple opportunities to see them with Roy.

Personally, I think people will be blown away by Michael!! Not only is he one of the best, he's also a super nice guy! :worship:

Another analogy Nightwish Siinger Anette Olsen leaves the band two weeks before a 50 city US tour, Floor Jensen steps in as a last minute replacement.

Now that would be an improvement! Needless to say I was sad when Tarja left Nightwish although Anette is ok. Floor is fantastic. ReVamp for PP XII?!?

On topic: Kamelot is one of the 4 bands I'm coming out to see so very disappointed that Khan won't be there. He was sick last time I saw Kamelot live. But also a huge CM fan, so Michael filling in should be AWESOME! Definitely hope Khan recovers quickly and completely.