Kamelot WILL perform at PPUSA XI as scheduled

It is sad when someone places their entire emotional investment in one band like this. Obviously they just don't get it:
ProgPower USA is not about one band. It is not about a group of bands. It is about a community of good people coming together for one weekend a year to listen to music and create memories that last a lifetime.

For you, maybe. I know I didn't spend $700 to fly up to Maryland this past May for Maryland Deathfest to see "good people coming together"...I went for the bands. And I suspect that many people share the same attitude towards ProgPower.

Now, with that said, nb just seems like he's bitching. While he might not intend for it to come off this way, it seems like he's blaming Glenn for Kamelot's tour problems. I'm sure that Glenn is THRILLED that that star singer of his headlining act is now sick and has to cancel their entire headlining tour due to the illness. I'm sure he loves having to wonder whether or not both his headliner and one of the support bands will even be playing less than one week before the festival starts off.

Every single music festival ever has setbacks. It's not really smart to shell out hundreds and hundreds of dollars months in advance expecting one single band to perform because so many things can happen. Illness, broken limbs, deaths, the almighty visas, etc.

Oh, and for the record.....Eriksen > Khan.

Also, nb, you do know that Epica's replacement singer was Simone's vocal coach, right? I don't even like Epica really, but she's far from 'ok'....she's miles ahead of Simone. And Simone is talented herself.

I totally understand that dude being upset. I'd be pissed if I was making a trip to see Kamelot for the first time only to find out the singer wouldn't be performing. Prog Power is not exacly an inexpensive venture. Tough break ... life sucks.

I do hand it to Kamelot for continuing on with the show. Michael Ericksen is a high quality fill in ... more than likely he'll do the songs justice.

Britt

Oh, for fuck's sake, why do people keep doing this? Comparing the vocalists? It's missing the whole goddamn point of everything.

Anyway, I'm not going to ProgPower, and now I admit I'm extremely jealous of those who do, as this seems like it's going to be very special. As for the cancellation of the rest of the tour... I really don't know. I'll just assume that Kamelot know what they're doing and know the details of the situation better than anyone.

With that kind of attitude you are not going to enjoy anything, but I have to ask you what good does it do either of you to wallow in pity. All the crying in the world is not going to change the situation with Kamelot. I know you are upset, the only time I have ever seen Kamelot was last tour and they had the worst sound system ever. I was really looking forward to hearing Roy in a proper arena, so my initial response was "this sucks".

Having said that, I have seen Circus Maximus play and I know that Michael is a powerhouse vocalist, that sounds fantastic live. So, my advice to you is to suck it up...make the most of a bad situation. Accept the fact that Roy is not going to be there, make the trip anyway and try your damndest to enjoy the show. What good does it do you to be upset over something you or Glenn has no control over? Ask yourself that question. It's a matter of attitude here, and yours is bad and you can ruin a potentially good time for yourself by waxing poetic over "what could have been".

Just accept the situation, come to the show, and try to enjoy it. Life is to short to let things like this destroy you. Or sit at home and cry over spilt milk...

<shakes head>

It truly astounds me the closemindedness of some people. I understand Khan not being there disappointing but give the replacement a chance. Not to mention in specific to ND, it sounds like you like some other bands on the list so just enjoy your time. And I can almost guarantee if you go in with an open mind, there will be at least one more additional band that blows you away. Always happens to most of us every year.

I disagree with nb's statement about Kamelot sucking before Khan joined. I will say that they're better with Khan, but they weren't terrible in the beginning. Eternity is still a listenable album. I'ved played it at least two or three times just in 2010.

This is my 1st and last post on this forum

My wife and I are coming to PP for the first time, and I can honestly say this news just about ruins the trip for us. I quit going to metal festivals years ago b/c of all the last-minute changes and cancellations, which inevitably seem to only affect the headliners. My wife and I decided we would try PP this year b/c there are a handful of bands we both like (Leaves, Eyes, Noc- Rites, 7th Wonder, Stormwarrior), plus Kamelot, whom we both love and have never gotten to see live, living as we do in the metal-desolate Southeast. So of course it was only a matter of time until Kamelot's performance got F#$%ed up :(

As for the band soldiering on with a replacement singer; sorry, but I wouldn't pay $5 to watch that. This band was AWFUL before Khan joined, and his voice is an integral part of their sound. I know illness is beyond everyone's control, but I honestly could not care less about watching someone else sing with Kamelot, trying to pad things out with whatever other singers want to jump on stage and help out rather than hit the bar early. That's not a concert, that's karioke. I find it interesting that so many people have responded saying how 'exciting' they find this idea; I think it's far beyond lame and I have absolutely zero interest in watching some cobbled-together act of 'Kamelot Members Plus Some Other Guy' take the stage. Screw that! :( We went to see Epica a few years ago and Simone cancelled last minute with illness; no disrespect to whoever took her place, but afterwards I wished we had just thrown the tickets out instead of wasting gas driving to the show. The replacement singer was ok, but really, who wants to see Epica without Simone singing? Same goes for Kamelot and Khan in my opinion.

Sorry for the rant/tantrum, but we've invested hundreds of dollars in this trip and are taking time off from work, and now a few days before the show the main band that we both wanted to see is such a shambles that I don't know if we'll ever bother staying for their set. Now if we can have Stormwarrior cancel b/c their drummer's back is too messed up for travel, then yet another metal festival will be a complete and utter failure in my eyes. If that happens we may just hit the aquarium and the zoo for the weekend and feed our PP tix to the fish.

Again, I realize the situation is nobody's fault, but we're now stuck spending > $500 on a festival we probably would have passed on if Kamelot wasn't on the bill. We like some of the other bands, but not enough to spend this kind of money on w/ Kamelot headlining. And as far as we are concerned Kamelot are no longer on the bill. :cry: I should have known better than to try the metal festival circuit again, always ends in disappointing cancellations.

That's my 2 cents; I won't be checking back. The only reason I posted this is that every other reply seems almost giddy at the prospect of Khan being replaced by someone else, and I wanted at least one post to register severe disappointment with the way things have changed. If everyone else at the show loves having Roy sidelined for some other guy, then y'all enjoy the show and I'll go get some extra sleep.
Nice going. Shitting on a lot of people's hard work is beyond ignorance. Bad things do happen, but a lot of people are trying to make this situation a bit better for all of us and you still bitch. There is NO ONE to blame. Come to the show anyway and see how much more there is to offer. If you'd still rather piss and moan, then good riddance.

I just got an email from Mike (Eriksen) regarding the issue and he is stoked about being a part of ProgPower once again. He said to not worry cause everything is fine between him and Kamelot (about the last minute cancelation) and, to quote him:

"Boy, are we gonna sound awesome on Friday..."

I really hope the disappointed ones give a chance to Kamelot on Friday, and from the bottom of my heart, hope that everyone at ProgPower this year enjoy their set (as well as all others).

I think Michael will do a fine job. I am debating whether to go to a music clinic that some of the Kamelot members (Casey, Oliver, Sean) are doing at USF. I have no clue what happens at music clinics. I gather that they will play some bits, but I could be wrong. Could be them talking about their craft.

The only reason I posted this is that every other reply seems almost giddy at the prospect of Khan being replaced by someone else, and I wanted at least one post to register severe disappointment with the way things have changed. If everyone else at the show loves having Roy sidelined for some other guy, then y'all enjoy the show and I'll go get some extra sleep.

I think you miss the point. Nearly 100% of the Kamelot fans here are disappointed not to see Khan perform with them. However, they (the band and fans alike) are making the best of a bad situation; Circus Maximus, like Kamelot, is one of the crowd favorites around these parts. If you want to bitch and whine and be Mr. Negativity, then that's 100% your own problem. It's not Khan's fault, or Kamelot's fault, or Glenn's fault, that Khan took ill. These things happen.

Really... what would you rather have them do? Cancel? You'd be out the same amount of money either way.

ANd, for the record, Kamelot are a talented group of musicians, who were perfectly fine before Khan joined.

I just hope Roy's condition isn't serious. The vagueness of the announcement scares me. That is what is most important. Not who the Fuck is singing.

That guy doesn't deserve the insults being slung at him. Kamelot is his favorite band, and he wouldn't be seeing the most recognizable member live.

If I was driving down to the States as I often do - a 16 hour roundtrip, usually with work the next day - to see Blind Guardian, and Hansi was sick with Mats Leven as his replacement, I would be completely frustrated to hear that after spending lots of money. Not because I'm saying "Leven is shit", but because I'm not getting what I committed the time and money for. You're an elitist bunch at times who need to lighten up lest you drive away the regular fan, the fan Glenn has been trying to attract by promoting the festival online and off, the kind of fan that makes up a decent chunk of the attendees, even though they might not have talked to their best friend Matt Barlow from ICED EARTH the day before or what have you.

I could understand the harsh replies a bit better if this was someone who hadn't bought a ticket and was bitching from the sidelines, as posters are wont to do.

I wish I could make it this year, but I have a limited time off work and allocated it for Metalcamp in July and 70k Tons in January...I'm eagerly looking forward to the '11 announcement to see if it will draw me like PPIV-VI did. As I mentioned earlier, M.E. with Kamelot would actually be more of a draw for me than regular Kamelot, so I'm more disappointed now.

For you, maybe. I know I didn't spend $700 to fly up to Maryland this past May for Maryland Deathfest to see "good people coming together"...I went for the bands. And I suspect that many people share the same attitude towards ProgPower.

Now, with that said, nb just seems like he's bitching. While he might not intend for it to come off this way, it seems like he's blaming Glenn for Kamelot's tour problems. I'm sure that Glenn is THRILLED that that star singer of his headlining act is now sick and has to cancel their entire headlining tour due to the illness. I'm sure he loves having to wonder whether or not both his headliner and one of the support bands will even be playing less than one week before the festival starts off.

Every single music festival ever has setbacks. It's not really smart to shell out hundreds and hundreds of dollars months in advance expecting one single band to perform because so many things can happen. Illness, broken limbs, deaths, the almighty visas, etc.

My point is that if I tied the PP experience to "the bands" I would only have gone to a couple of shows, not 8. And I would have missed meeting a lot of cool people and seeing a lot of great music. Of course "the bands" is a big reason why you go, but in this type of event, with this much lead time (a year?!!?! who gives you a YEAR of lead time??) you are bound to have roster changes. For you to tie yourself to a SINGLE band and then get pissed if something happens means you miss the true meaning of this event.

In my opinion.

That guy doesn't deserve the insults being slung at him. Kamelot is his favorite band, and he wouldn't be seeing the most recognizable member live.

If I was driving down to the States as I often do - a 16 hour roundtrip, usually with work the next day - to see Blind Guardian, and Hansi was sick with Mats Leven as his replacement, I would be completely frustrated to hear that after spending lots of money. Not because I'm saying "Leven is shit", but because I'm not getting what I committed the time and money for. You're an elitist bunch at times who need to lighten up lest you drive away the regular fan, the fan Glenn has been trying to attract by promoting the festival online and off, the kind of fan that makes up a decent chunk of the attendees, even though they might not have talked to their best friend Matt Barlow from ICED EARTH the day before or what have you.

I could understand the harsh replies a bit better if this was someone who hadn't bought a ticket and was bitching from the sidelines, as posters are wont to do.

I wish I could make it this year, but I have a limited time off work and allocated it for Metalcamp in July and 70k Tons in January...I'm eagerly looking forward to the '11 announcement to see if it will draw me like PPIV-VI did. As I mentioned earlier, M.E. with Kamelot would actually be more of a draw for me than regular Kamelot, so I'm more disappointed now.
He most certainly does deserve the shots at him. I remember last year or the year before the guy bitching and accusing Glenn of bullshit nonsense because VANDEN PLAS wasn't allowed into the country. That guy made false accusations among other silliness. Now, we get bitching from this new individual even though the band is trying their best. Perhaps, it's not what you say, but how you say it. If someone wants to voice frustration, that's fine. But don't accuse, whine about the money you spent because some people spent way more than this guy to be here, join the forum just to bitch, and then run away. Especially, on this forum where it's a tight-knit community.

I was pretty tied to one band on this one. Some other bands I sorta like and wanted to see, but I personally bought tickets for Kamelot and it wasn't -missing the point-. Kamelot doesn't go to Atlanta often and it was my first real chance to see them and took me most of the past year to get the money together for it. My first reaction was probably similar to the angry people and the bummed people both, which is why I didn't post anything either though...I know stupid stuff gets said when upset. lol But point is, that for some people going for one band can be the main reason for going.

I'm still going, but I did go through a brief want my money back period, but I am sure it'll be fun anyways and I couldn't get all the money I put in anyways. lol

I will still be bummed a bit missing my chance to see Khan. I've wanted to see him sing for soooo long. Hopefully they make a pass through again soon though. Just hope I can afford it this time.

Perhaps, it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Yup.

I don't think anyone would give someone grief for being disappointed about the turn of events. Where it went wrong was when he moved from expressing anger about Roy not being there to dismissing Michael Erikson (who we know to be a superb talent) and belittling the effort Kamelot is putting into the idea that "the show must go on". It isn't karaoke, it's a group of capable musicians making the best of a bad situation. Karaoke would be if *I* got up there and tried to sing Center of the Universe.

Frankly, the "cobbled together" acts such as previous All Star Jams have provided some of the most memorable moments of the festival and I'm expecting no different from this set.

If NB is still lurking and he and his wife still come to the festival, I hope that they'll move past their initial reaction and treat this as an opportunity to get to know and love other musicians they might not otherwise be exposed to.

Kuroshi (his post is one or a couple above this one) has it right - the situation may suck from your personal standpoint, but make the best of it!

Ken