Kamelot Status for the Festival

I am i little disappointed because I have not seen Kamelot before and was looking forward to seeing well them(Khan included). However, I under stand how important health is and I know he must hate it more than anyone. I love Mike's vocals and this should be a treat, and I am sure I will get another chance to see Kamelot again with Roy.

As a sponsor for CM last year, hearing that Michael will be doing Kamelot's singing is great news!! But I have 2 questions:
1. Will Michael be borrowing Roy's leathers?? (or else it just won't be the same...)
2. Can Michael also sing Nocturnal Rites: Till I Come Alive?? (practically sounds like him anyway!!)

Course, the best news ever is that ProgPower's just A WEEK AWAY!!!!! :)

I just need to point out how different the opinions of this forum compared to Blabbermouth.

Yeah, that's unfortunate. But at the risk of having us in the PP crowd do like Barry Horowitz and start patting ourselves on the back, it may be good for Kamelot that the PP stop is only second on their tour - hopefully, playing to a friendly and understanding crowd will give them more confidence and let them work out any kinks that will probably be involved with moving Mike in quickly. I hope we can give them as stress-free an event as possible.

Ken

It happened with Firewind and Epica on thier US tours before....look at it as a rare show with a different edge. The music is still the same but with some different vocals. You are able to get a rare glimps of a band you love doing something that will never happen again. Live with it and enjoy it. I am not even a fan of Kamelot but if I was going to see this show I would take it as something different and just look at the positive side of it. it isnt like this is the only show this is happening on...it is thier whole tour. You are going to a fest that has many other great bands playing. Enjoy the damn show and relax. Kamelot will be around again.

Exactly.

I just have to chuckle at the immature, selfish, narrow-minded, and just plain dumb replies over on Kamelot's facebook. I completely understand their disappointment, but they are not looking at the big picture. I have not seen one post where someone explains that actual benefit of cancelling the tour. Can someone please explain that to me? There is a big difference between cancelling a tour two months in advance to one week week in advance. Let's look beyond Roy's obvious health concerns and the fact that if he does not rest, he may not return.

Kamelot has already spent...

1. At least $10,000 in visas (my personal guess) that are not-refundable nor can you simply switch the dates on.
2. Hired a full crew who are counting on the wages from the tour. I would assume that most folks understand the value of a job and that you simply cannot go get another anytime you want.
3. Collected deposits from promoters and re-allocated those funds towards tour logistics. It's not simply sitting in a bank ready to be refunded instantly. It could set Kamelot back years to try and and recover from that.
4. Paid non-refundable deposits on gear/bus/etc. rentals.
5. The promoters have spent thousands of dollars on promotion. If the band cancels, they DON'T get that money back. They have also held a date at the venue that could have went to another band. The trickle-down financial effect in this should not have to be explained regardless of neanderthal some of the Khan fanboys are. These same promoters will not welcome Kamelot back with open arms the next time they try to book a tour here in the States.
6. The opening bands would have faced very similar circumstances and probably been hurt even more by a cancellation.

The band is literally working their asses to pull this off. It's the heighth of true professionalism and class in my book.

Amen.

The combination of already seeing Kamelot several times, Roy being fairly hit or miss live, and Mike being awesome actually makes this more of a draw for me. I can certainly see how a big fan seeing them for the first time would be heartbroken though. Hope Big Khan gets better soon.

Alright, we don't all have to jump on the bandwagon and tell the lone dissenter what we think. He's upset and unhappy, said his bit, let him go. But, dude, if you registered in this forum just to complain, you're in the wrong place. There are many people here involved in the music industry in many ways as well older, long-time music fans that have more of an appreciation for what goes on besides the obvious in any tour. Your better off on Blabbermouth for a personal vent.

I was just about ready to give the guy my $.02 on the whole matter as well. I mean, come-on, the guy signed up an account to this forum specifically so he can rant off about it, like as though he was expecting some kind of pity party here. Obviously, he found out real quick there is no sympathy from this crowd! I do agree that everybody pretty much said what was needed to say and we should just let it be.

However, I want to clarify to those that replied to that dude thinking he is coming to ProgPower. The fact that he mentioned "Buying a VIP Meet & Greet" ticket right there tells me he is not coming to ProgPower and going one of the other shows. As 'J-man' correctly pointed out, those "VIP Meet & Greets" is basically paying the extra money to be able to run through the equivalent of one of those "signing tables" that we have here at ProgPower. However, in the case of Kamelot, you do get a nice t-shirt, a signed poster and a few other goodies, which if you went and bought anyway, would've made up the difference of the cost of the "VIP" ticket vs one of the regular admission tickets. Unfortunately, the Jaxx Kamelot date is the same Saturday as ProgPower itself, thus not able to go. If I was going, I may have sprung for the 'VIP' ticket in this case as I'd like to have that T-shirt and poster as well. Anyway, back to ProgPower. The only way you "Buy a VIP" at ProgPower itself is if you become a sponsor. I imagine and hope that anybody that is willing to lay out the money for ProgPower sponsorship would be far more understanding of what actually goes on and not come off so selfishly about this whole thing as this dude was.

Yes, I am also sorely disappointed that there will be no Roy Khan. However, as was already pointed out time-and-again, we would be in a much bigger hurt if Kamelot just said "fuck it!" and cancelled everything. Postponing the tour will also wreck just as much havoc, especially in this short of notice. The only other option is if somehow they managed to force Roy to continue anyway. But as was pointed out as well, if that was the case and he somehow managed to get up enough to go on, we will most likely end up with sub-par performances at best, and I don't even want to think of the worst case scenario. :erk: A man's health and well being is just not worth it.

As disappointed as I was in not getting to see Roy again (and I remember having spent quite a bit of time behind Jaxx after a recent show just shooting the shit with him as well), but I am actually stoked to see how Michael from CM will do. This will be very interesting indeed. I am very glad to see Kamelot to decide that the "show must go on" and find a suitable replacement on such short notice. From my own experiences with Circus Maximus, I honestly think Michael could very easily pull it off. I am actually excited to see this, since I've already seen Kamelot some 5 times (and enjoyed every one of them). Thus, it will be really cool to see something "different" and truly unique for once with these guys.

Despite AMBR's admonishment, I do want to make one direct comment to that "Andr" dude (or whatever his name was).

Look dude, what you do with your own money and time is your right. I do feel for you as I am also a big fan of Roy. But think about what you are saying for a second. I can guarantee you are not likely to get any of that money back that you already spent for this, except maybe the hotel. Good luck on the airline and I know for a fact you will not get a refund on the show ticket itself. I honestly think you should just go ahead and go to this anyway. You may be pleasantly surprised at what you will see. But hey, you do what you want as you are the one who has to live with the decision.

For me, I am still going to this ProgPower thing, which is where I will be seeing Kamelot, this year, despite there also being a show at Jaxx in Springfield, VA, which is only about 40 miles from my place. And I can guarantee that I laid out WAY more money than you did for this, especially as I am one of the sponsors for ProgPower. After seeing this, it make me respect Kamelot as a band that much more. I wish other bands could take a page from this (thankfully, other bands, such as Epica, has. As much as I like Simon Simons, I still very much enjoyed the Epica shows with her replacement (forget off the top of my head what her name was).

With that, I said what I wanted to say here and done with this - take or leave it.

Look dude, what you do with your own money and time is your right. I do feel for you as I am also a big fan of Roy. But think about what you are saying for a second. I can guarantee you are not likely to get any of that money back that you already spent for this, except maybe the hotel. Good luck on the airline and I know for a fact you will not get a refund on the show ticket itself. I honestly think you should just go ahead and go to this anyway. You may be pleasantly surprised at what you will see. But hey, you do what you want as you are the one who has to live with the decision.

For me, I am still going to this ProgPower thing, which is where I will be seeing Kamelot, this year, despite there also being a show at Jaxx in Springfield, VA, which is only about 40 miles from my place. And I can guarantee that I laid out WAY more money than you did for this, especially as I am one of the sponsors for ProgPower. After seeing this, it make me respect Kamelot as a band that much more. I wish other bands could take a page from this (thankfully, other bands, such as Epica, has. As much as I like Simon Simons, I still very much enjoyed the Epica shows with her replacement (forget off the top of my head what her name was).

With that, I said what I wanted to say here and done with this - take or leave it.

+1

I was going to comment, but you did it so well.

Remember - Firewind did the same thing back in 2007 timeframe. Apollo could not make it, but subbed with Henne Besse from Metalium. He did a very good job considering. I hope that Michael from Circus Maximus can step up to the plate.

Heck - the more I explore metal, the more I see that some bands change singers more of than some people change their socks (so to speak). So changing singers - get used to it cuz it ain't gonna change any time soon.

First off, I hope Khan gets well. That is paramount.

Second, it shows Kamelot's commitment to their fans that they will soldier on.

Thirdly, I love Circus Maximus. I love Kamelot. To have CM's frontman fronting Kamelot is going to be a sight to behold. :kickass:

Yeah, man, fuck these fans doggin' Kamelot on Facebook and Blabbermouth. Blabbermouth guys suck serious loads anyway...but I wish there were more people into the scene as there are on this forum and the MDF forum and the Metal Archives forum for that matter. These casual fans are very loyal to a select few bands, but won't take the chance to look up Michael and find out that the guy's pipes are on par with the elite (including Khan)? It's silly. Michael sold Circus Maximus for me. I saw them live (here) before hearing them on CD, and I bought it as soon as I could. He's incredible. And he will kill these Kamelot songs.

The one thing I wonder is, how long does he have to memorize all those lyrics? If he does it with no help at all, he will be king.

I wish other bands could take a page from this (thankfully, other bands, such as Epica, has. As much as I like Simon Simons, I still very much enjoyed the Epica shows with her replacement (forget off the top of my head what her name was).

Amanda Somerville, Simone's vocal coach.

The one thing I wonder is, how long does he have to memorize all those lyrics? If he does it with no help at all, he will be king.

Well, he can just use a teleprompter like some other "metal gods" do. Saw that recently and was amused.

Amanda Somerville, Simone's vocal coach.

I was blown away by how well Amanda replaced Simone. And while I like Khan a lot, the song is the thing for me--a great performance is a great performance no matter who sings the material. I am sure we will get that on Friday!

Well, he can just use a teleprompter like some other "metal gods" do. Saw that recently and was amused.

Didn't the lead singer for Circle II Circle reference lyric sheets on the floor the last time they played PP? He did juuuuust fine!

funny enough for me now i WANT to see the Kamelot set because it's going to be very different experience. i wasn't interested at all to see them this year having seen them before, but this is going to be fun! i applaud them for carrying on and i agree with glenn on all his points. so much is already riding on this that the "point of no return" has long since passed.

When Mac was the vocalist for Threshold, I did indeed see him looking through a little black book of lyrics on stage!

Though it didn't detract from the performance, he was fantastic. Mac is quite well known for being forgetful with his lyrics I think...