Kamelot Status for the Festival

Ardras was selfish, but WOW, you guys ripped him a new one so fast that I'm almost reluctant to voice a different opinion.

As Zod already pointed out, differencing opinions are one thing, but when they come on with such a snotty attitude as well as signing up an account for the sole purpose of whining and expecting a pity party, that is 'nother story. As was found out real quick, that dude did not find any sympathy here. At least you are keeping it civil and do bring up a valid point.

I'm one of the apparent few here who has never seen Kamelot before, and Roy is my favorite metal vocalist, period. I've always wanted to see Kamelot (with Roy) live, but honestly where I live there has never been an opportunity. Sorry, but I can't afford to fly across the country to see any band. This time, it just so happens that I'm working a job where I'm staying within a couple of hours of the venue, so I was unbelievably excited over this. I was going to go with absolutely no rest the night before (work, gotta love it) and of course almost none the night of the show, but it was going to be worth it. Now, "disappointed" doesn't even begin to explain how I feel, as next year I'll likely be working in the ass end of nowhere or doing a set that gives me no time off. So this was very likely my only shot at seeing them.

That is certainly understandable. Sounds like you live somewhere in BFE and don't have the luxury, such as myself, that can just take a 1/2 hour ride up the interstate to see Kamelot. I am guessing that you seem to be a relatively long-time fan of Kamelot but just never got the opportunity to actually see them.

I guess I am seeing this from a different perspective. Like Zod, I've also seen Kamelot something like 5 times over the past 10 years. In addition, I've also seen Circus Maximus with Michael Erickson something like 3 times as well (would've been 4 if that one show did not get canceled). Of the five times or so of seeing Kamelot, I've gotten plenty of opportunity to just spend time and shooting the breeze with Roy. Therefore, I was looking forward to seeing him again as friend, thus my utter disappointment from that regard. However, I seriously think Michael will slay here! If you truly are a fan of Kamelot and this may look like the only real opportunity to see them for a while, than I would seriously recommend to show the band the support and check out the show anyway. I honestly don't think you will be disappointed at all (other than the whole "not seeing Roy" thing).

I like Michael alright... but he's no Khan. What is one person's "once in a lifetime experience" is another's deep disappointment. I may still go, or I may try to sell my tickets. I haven't decided yet. But I just wanted to say all this because I'm sure while many, many fans are stoked for Michael, an equal number of us feel like the universe just sodomized our little hearts with a chainsaw. (I'm ignoring those who are selfish and stupid enough to slam the band, as they aren't worth counting.)

Like I said above and I also agree with Zod's assessment as well in that I think Michael will be an excellent (and arguably a superior) replacement. Again, if you really are a fan of Kamelot, than I think you should do yourself a favor and support the band anyway and go see them at the show like you originally intended. Obviously, you have the right to do whatever you wish, but that is my sincere recommendation.

They played Nights of Arabia on the tour before last. Is time moving that slowly for them?:p

If they wanted to play some songs they haven't played in awhile, how about Fourth Legacy, or Shadow of Uther, or Wings of Despair?

I've never understood bands that only play from the last couple of albums live, and I hope Kamelot doesn't do that, as I heard they did on the Ghost Opera tour. Hammerfall won't be neglecting Glory to the Brave or Legacy of Kings, why would Kamelot neglect Fourth legacy or Karma?

I'm guessing with Michael coming into the fold, they may very well be playing fewer older songs than before. They already know there will be some fans going into the show disappointed, so they are going to try to appease the fans with the most popular songs I would guess.

Ardras was selfish, but WOW, you guys ripped him a new one so fast that I'm almost reluctant to voice a different opinion.

I'm one of the apparent few here who has never seen Kamelot before, and Roy is my favorite metal vocalist, period. I've always wanted to see Kamelot (with Roy) live, but honestly where I live there has never been an opportunity. Sorry, but I can't afford to fly across the country to see any band. This time, it just so happens that I'm working a job where I'm staying within a couple of hours of the venue, so I was unbelievably excited over this. I was going to go with absolutely no rest the night before (work, gotta love it) and of course almost none the night of the show, but it was going to be worth it. Now, "disappointed" doesn't even begin to explain how I feel, as next year I'll likely be working in the ass end of nowhere or doing a set that gives me no time off. So this was very likely my only shot at seeing them.

Now, that said, I completely understand them replacing Khan for this tour. It's too late to outright cancel, and forcing Roy to sing while ill would just make him feel worse and possibly threaten his long-term health. I would never, ever want that. I want him to get well and rest while he can.

I like Michael alright... but he's no Khan. What is one person's "once in a lifetime experience" is another's deep disappointment. I may still go, or I may try to sell my tickets. I haven't decided yet. But I just wanted to say all this because I'm sure while many, many fans are stoked for Michael, an equal number of us feel like the universe just sodomized our little hearts with a chainsaw. (I'm ignoring those who are selfish and stupid enough to slam the band, as they aren't worth counting.)

I think what you said is totally reasonable and understandable. It was going to be the first time seeing Kamelot and you've never really had the chance to see them prior, and you wanted the first time to be with their natural singer in Roy. You also understand the reasoning and aren't being selfish like Ardras. It's a forum, people are allowed to voice their opinions of something, but when you're rude and join this forum only expecting pity from others, that's another thing and is what Ardras did.

Kamelot has done what, 5 US tours? There's still people who didn't get to see them?

I wonder if the people complaining that their "dream of seeing Kamelot live" or their "once in a lifetime opportunity to see Khan singing (lol)" are newer fans to the band and style. It just seems weird to me, since it's not that impossible to catch Kamelot live...

If you're a true fan, I think you'll go support the band instead of not showing up or selling your ticket... just my two cents..

Heh, in all fairness, the only non-ProgPower show in Atlanta they've done (to my knowledge) happened to be on the same night as Danzig/Dimmu Borgir/Moonspell/Skeletonwitch across town, and Mastodon/Brian Posehn an hour away. I was at none of these due to being out of town, but it's not hard to believe that a Kamelot fan still hasn't seen them.

Assuming Khan recovers, hopefully you'll have a number of chances to catch them live.

I hope so, too. I really hope this illness isn't something that extends into the future. Some of my other favorite bands are taking touring breaks due to health problems, and it's troubling to think anything may affect them long-term. As for Roy burning out about half way through concerts, I'm not too surprised. I saw an interview where he mentioned that he performed every concert like it would be his last, and as a singer, putting a heavy strain on your vocal chords will wear them out in a hurry. :(

Kamelot has done what, 5 US tours? There's still people who didn't get to see them?

I wonder if the people complaining that their "dream of seeing Kamelot live" or their "once in a lifetime opportunity to see Khan singing (lol)" are newer fans to the band and style. It just seems weird to me, since it's not that impossible to catch Kamelot live...

If you believe that every long term fan of the band has had ample chance to see them live, then obviously you haven't considered the location of said fans to the proximity of the nearest show. Add to that things like conflicting schedule, finances, illness, ect., it's really not hard to believe at all.

Sounds like you live somewhere in BFE and don't have the luxury, such as myself, that can just take a 1/2 hour ride up the interstate to see Kamelot. I am guessing that you seem to be a relatively long-time fan of Kamelot but just never got the opportunity to actually see them.

That sums it up well. And just so you know, I'm green with envy, lol.

I'm leaning towards seeing them anyway, I've just had the wind knocked out of me. Thank you guys for encouraging me to go anyway and understanding where I'm coming from. I think if I do go, maybe I will take a little card for Roy and see if one of the guys at the signing session will be willing to pass it to him when they see him again.

That sums it up well. And just so you know, I'm green with envy, lol.

I'm leaning towards seeing them anyway, I've just had the wind knocked out of me. Thank you guys for encouraging me to go anyway and understanding where I'm coming from. I think if I do go, maybe I will take a little card for Roy and see if one of the guys at the signing session will be willing to pass it to him when they see him again.

Jaxx nightclub is literally just up the road from here, so it is easy for me to get somewhat jaded on these types of things (almost to the point of taking it for granted). I can certainly understand your disappointment in not having Roy perform, as this would be the first time you've seen Kamelot and would like to see them in their "natural" state, with the regular lineup. I guess if I was to see Stratovarious the first time and find out Timo Kottipelto could not be with them or the first time I saw Sonata Arctica and find out no Tony Kakko, I would be pissed as well (as I really like both of those singers as well).

Thanks for keeping it civil and understanding where the band itself must be coming from as well.

That would be cool to come up with a small "get-well" type card. Now that you mentioned it, I may have to consider the same thing when I see them at ProgPower (and having VIP/sponsor access to the show, hopefully I can run into them backstage or something as well). If you do end up going to the show, let us know what you think.

These US tours that metal bands do don't even begin to scratch the surface. I'd be surprised if they even hit 25% of the fans that would pay to see them in the US. I live in South Florida. Since 2002, we've had two metal shows by bands from the PP roster: Sonata Arctica, and Blind Guardian. That's it. Unless I've been willing to go to Orlando or Tampa, can't see anyone else. And even if I did go to Orlando or Tampa, that wouldn't expand the roster by much.

Unless you live in Springfield or New York City, or maybe Chicago and Cleveland as well, you're not seeing many of these bands doing US tours. Which is why I think the concerns about PP hosting bands that tour the US is overblown. Going all the way to Atlanta to see 12 awesome bands in a theater setting is vastly superior to going a couple of hundred miles to see one band in a club. I go to local shows, and I go to PP. That's it. So the only place I've seen Kamelot is PP.

I definitely think we're guilty of losing sight of just fortunate we are up here in the northeast, with respect to concerts.

That you are. Jaxx is often as far south as some tours go on the east coast, sometimes Raleigh or Charlotte or Atlanta, maaaaaaaybe the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach. The last time I went to a show in the US, apart from the surprise appearance at PP last year, was Rush when I went to Portland on the other freakin' end of the country in 2007...

I definitely think we're guilty of losing sight of just fortunate we are up here in the northeast, with respect to concerts.

yeah... We are very very blessed to be in the north eastern part of the US.. I'm about 30 mins from JAXX and its been there for FOREVER & a day... If we didn't have that - shit I think I'd be crazy!!!

I feel bad for those disappointed that Roy's had to bow out but as I've said elsewhere, its better he takes a step back, gets better and keeps the ability to make more music and do more tours than to push it and possibly do permanent physical damage to himself.. No doubt he'll be back :)

And Mike is totally going to kick ass singing these tunes!!!

(PS - I saw Kamelot at Jaxx perform Fourth Legacy the first time I got to see them live.. I say this with ALL due respect to Khan - he missed the highs but it was still awesome to see live!!)

^^^

This.

I found this thread late...as a former CM sponsor, I couldn't be happier with the choice of a replacement.

However, for Roy to be that ill and not have a diagnosis is terrifying. :cry: Here's hoping he can figure out what he's dealing with...and then kick its ass.

Ban me if you wish. Not everyone is going to just accept this solution. That's reality.

You remind me of the crying Britney Spears guy from youtube!!:cry:
My wife lost her job. We lost our house. I could no longer afford to go, and lost money on tickets, and such. I would've still been stoked to go different singer or not, cause I'm a huge Kamelot fan. Atleast you had the option of going. Idiot!!