By Pale Light>? Info Please!

rammpeth

Dec 12, 2005
Hey there. I really really enjoy AoS as its music is top notch, and while i know or have heard of the members other music, ive never heard about or heard the music itself of By Pale Light. Anyone have any links, info, etc? thnx in advance

yeah, ive looked all over the web too,, its just since they promote AoS as a "super group" in every review, interview etc it seems as if everybody knew who they were.lol. andy, when u can please reply!

rammpeth said:
yeah, ive looked all over the web too,, its just since they promote AoS as a "super group" in every review, interview etc it seems as if everybody knew who they were.lol. andy, when u can please reply!

Here is some info:

By Pale Light was started several years ago by one of the guitar players from Age of Silence (Kobbergaard).

I know they have recorded some material for an album, and the rest of the line-up included Hellhammer on Drums, the former bass player of Winds (Paul S) on bass, plus Mikael from Norwegian band Diamond Dog on vocals. The other guitar player of Age of Silence (Extant) has participated in their songwriting but is not an actual member to my knowledge.

So far they have only released one track, entitled "Funeral" - which was featured on a compilation called Metal Ostentation IV, released on Portuguese label Enclave Records. http://www.enclaverecords.cjb.net/

What their future plans are, I do not know....

karpsmom said:
Man, Hellhammer is EVERYWHERE! :D

It only takes him between 4-5 days to record drums for an entire album, so if he spent every day in the studio, unlike now, he could actually be doing a lot more. Drummers tend to get around a lot more than other musicians do, because 1. there are fewer of them, and even fewer good ones, and 2. they don't have to prepare as much before recording because they play an atonal instrument. I.e. they don't have to learn the tonality of the songs as long as they know where to start and where to stop playing. So the reason why he is "everywhere" so to speak, is because he is the best, and everyone wants the best. Actually, he doesn't even do half the stuff he is asked to.

Regards,
Andy

rammpeth said:
can i ask a bold question>? does he trigger?

I think I wrote a post before about the misconception of what triggering means. What triggering means is basically to replace the sound of an acoustic drum with that of a sampled one. This is hugely common to do in music production and does not mean that the drummer isn't actually playing everything that you hear, it just means that instead of the acoustic drum sound, you hear a sample that has been recorded. It is very comparable to using a synth or a keyboard piano instead of a real piano, you play the keys but the sound is artificial. Of all the bands he plays in, I believe he probably uses it in some and not in others, but triggering is not only a drummer decision, it is also an engineering or a producer decision. For example, in high-budget music production, a producer might decide to sound-replace all the drums that were recorded even without the drummers knowledge. But if your question really was meant to be whether he plays everything you hear on the albums as it sounds, or whether any of the drums are programmed, then of course it's the real thing. He doesn't "cheat" - so all the hits you hear have been played the old fashioned way, although as explained, whether you hear the acoustic drum sound or a sample instead, will vary depending on what band you're talking about. In Winds we use acoustic drums, and we also do in Age of Silence, so no sound replacing or triggering.

Regards,
Andy

thanks andy,its just that, just like in keyboards sometimes the strenght of the hit on the kick drum for example varies its sound, and in high speed sometimes its hard to nail them all with the same strength,so mayb it helps that i has en even sound? well,,what am i explaining to a professional musician???? lol..im sorry, thnks for answering!!!

rammpeth said:
thanks andy,its just that, just like in keyboards sometimes the strenght of the hit on the kick drum for example varies its sound, and in high speed sometimes its hard to nail them all with the same strength,so mayb it helps that i has en even sound? well,,what am i explaining to a professional musician???? lol..im sorry, thnks for answering!!!

No problem, you're welcome!

There is some truth to what you say, but evening out velocity can also be attained when working with acoustic sounds by using a compressor, which is of course always used on things like vocals, drums, and bass anyway.

So whether you are in the acoustic or digital realm it doesn't really matter, but I personally tend to like the acoustic sound better, while triggered or sound replaced drums tend to sound a bit more "impressive" - and are definitely more used in metal.

But in my opinion, how impressive the sound is, is not always what makes a performance memorable, and drummers tend to play on the sound they hear, so it can kill the performance a bit if you replace the sounds.

Regards,
Andy

thnx andy,didnt know a compressor could help that much and stuff. how did u guys learn how to record or was it just experience

haha, thanks for the explanation on HH. Believe me, I couldn't be happier about his prevalence, he's my favorite drummer aside from Asgeir Mickelson (another drummer who gets around quite a bit).

Man, everytime I read threads from Andy about recording, it scares the crap out of me for when I record my own band. I know nothing about recording, what equipment is good, and what equipment I will need, but I know I really want to make sure I have a solid sounding album. I want clarity, balanced layered, a strong sound all together. Andy, do you have any basic advice for a beginner in the realm of recording/producing/mixing etc. (equipment suggestions?) Thanks man!

well,, i know very little, but i would try to keep the set up simple, at least from the time i went to the studio i saw how bad things get when u add too much stuff in

karpsmom said:
haha, thanks for the explanation on HH. Believe me, I couldn't be happier about his prevalence, he's my favorite drummer aside from Asgeir Mickelson (another drummer who gets around quite a bit).

Man, everytime I read threads from Andy about recording, it scares the crap out of me for when I record my own band. I know nothing about recording, what equipment is good, and what equipment I will need, but I know I really want to make sure I have a solid sounding album. I want clarity, balanced layered, a strong sound all together. Andy, do you have any basic advice for a beginner in the realm of recording/producing/mixing etc. (equipment suggestions?) Thanks man!

Yeah, it really depends on what kind of level you want to be at. I mean, out of all the bands on our label I don't think anyone is more advanced than us in this field, but at the same time they also managed to produce some really great sounding albums none the less.

Most musicians don't really know anything about production and recording. I am by all means no expert either, but for being a musican and not an engineer, I dare say I know a lot. My advice would be, if you can afford it, to hire someone that knows more about it than your do (for example a producer or a studio). This is what most bands do, but of course it costs money.

For hobby-based home recording I'd say get a decent computer and a software program for multitracking (Sonar, Nuendo, Cubase, Logic, Vegas, Paris, Pro Tools, just to name examples of the most common ones). Sonar probably has the lowest entry level as far as knowledge goes so that's a good place to start.

Then you need a good sound card, I can recommend M-Audio as I have previously had it myself, and their entry level cards start at $100 and up. That's all you really NEED, but for direct recording of guitar, get something like POD or SansAmp, (there are lots more options too like Johnson, Damage Control, etc, etc).

Then you need a decent preamp and compressor. Some units have both included, I can recommend Focusrite as a good brand. They start at a few hundred bucks, probably used.

As a general rule though I would say that it doesn't matter that much what kind of gear you use unless you are at the pro level, because what you put in is a lot more important than what you run it through. In other words, your skill on the instruments, not the gear, is what matters the most.

Of course, with home recording you can only get so far anyway. The last Winds record was mixed in a studio where the mixing console alone costs several hundred thousands of dollars, and each pre-amp for each channel in that board runs about five thousand each. So of course it costs quite a bit of money to rent a studio like that, and someone who knows how to use it.

Best of luck!

Andy