By The Pain I See In Others?

I don't get why Mike changed his pick for "worst Opeth album" to Deliverance anyway (cuz it was Morningrise right?) - I mean cool he decided TNATSW was a masterpiece instead of shit overnight but they still don't play anything else off that album and you can see him dis Black Rose Immortal every other show.

ive never heard him say that. he said the recording conditions were horrible and that btpisio symbolizes the hectic studio time for him.

He changed the music style to more riffs with MAYH because he found Morningrise unlistenable or something because everyone was doing the dual guitar melody thing, and TNATSW has been, at different times, both his least favorite Opeth song and one of his favorite Opeth songs. I've read both of those at multiple locations.

I can't exactly remember if I ever read literally that Morningrise was his least favorite record at any time, but given that he once hated TNATSW, he still thinks BRI is shit, and they never really play any of the other tracks, it's not that hard to guess. Whereas they play every full song off of Deliverance still except for BTPISIO. Based on all that, it simply doesn't make sense that Deliverance is actually his least favorite record, and him labeling it as such really does not help the album at all, considering how many fanboys will agree with him in a heartbeat.

yea, i wasnt talking about morningrise, i just reacted on you saying deliverance is mikes least fav cd which ive never heard him say other than the btpisio and studio thing.

Yeah, except the riffs are actually good.

BTPISIO has plenty of good riffs that aren't nearly as generic as riffs off Heir Apparent. I mean hell, all the riffs from about 2:00ish to 5:00ish are pretty damn good, and Heir Apparent, on the other hand, actually has a riff repeated several times that's literally just 00000000000000000000000000000000. I mean I do like Heir Apparent but I don't like that there's so many Opeth songs with fairly unique riffs that get shit on by fans all the time yet songs full of mostly open notes and octaves (Heir Apparent, Demon of the Fall) get all the praise.

He had said it was his least favorite Opeth song. Sorry if I didn't literally find the word "hate."

BTPISIO has plenty of good riffs that aren't nearly as generic as riffs off Heir Apparent. I mean hell, all the riffs from about 2:00ish to 5:00ish are pretty damn good, and Heir Apparent, on the other hand, actually has a riff repeated several times that's literally just 00000000000000000000000000000000.

:confused:

I didn't say any of that. My point is that even if the riffs in "Heir Apparent" may seem a little generic, they're solid and work well within the song. "By the Pain I See in Others" has some cool riffs, but the song just doesn't work as well as "Heir Apparent" does. Unique doesn't necessarily mean good.

I mean I do like Heir Apparent but I don't like that there's so many Opeth songs with fairly unique riffs that get shit on by fans all the time yet songs full of mostly open notes and octaves (Heir Apparent, Demon of the Fall) get all the praise.

Probably because all the unique riffs in the world don't mean dick if the song meanders. "Heir Apparent" and "Demon of the Fall" are put together a lot better than "By the Pain I See in Others" is.

:confused:

I didn't say any of that. My point is that even if the riffs in "Heir Apparent" may seem a little generic, they're solid and work well within the song. "By the Pain I See in Others" has some cool riffs, but the song just doesn't work as well as "Heir Apparent" does. Unique doesn't necessarily mean good.

Probably because all the unique riffs in the world mean dick if the song meanders. "Heir Apparent" and "Demon of the Fall" are put together a lot better than "By the Pain I See in Others" is.

Yea, I was really just responding to your post "yea, except the riffs are actually good" - and it seems you actually didn't mean to see that BTPISIO has bad riffs. I agree that the song writing on Heir Apparent is better than the songwriting on BTPISIO really. But the reason BTPISIO is still pretty good is that, the song doesn't really fall apart until like 6 minutes in, so it's still good overall to me. I do dislike the ending quite a lot except that really fast palm muted descent that it is simply badass. So yea...don't worry I'm not arguing with ya, I don't think BTPISIO deserves all the shit it gets but hey I'm still acknowledging that it's the worst song on Deliverance.

I think BTPISIO is an excellent song, honestly. It's DEFINITELY not one of their best, but it is definitely a great song (on my countdown of all Opeth songs, it's ranked at 12). The drumming by Lopez is insane, and the part between 3:32 and 5:01 is one of my top 5 favorite Opeth moments. I think BTPISIO is better than A Fair Judgement, personally.

BTPISIO has plenty of good riffs that aren't nearly as generic as riffs off Heir Apparent. I mean hell, all the riffs from about 2:00ish to 5:00ish are pretty damn good, and Heir Apparent, on the other hand, actually has a riff repeated several times that's literally just 00000000000000000000000000000000. I mean I do like Heir Apparent but I don't like that there's so many Opeth songs with fairly unique riffs that get shit on by fans all the time yet songs full of mostly open notes and octaves (Heir Apparent, Demon of the Fall) get all the praise.

I don't get what you're trying to say. There's nothing wrong with simplicity and playing open strings (especially if it's done with such interesting rhythms as in HA, ah well here I go praising again :lol:).