By the Pain I see in others

By the Pain I see in Others

• Yay

Votes: 66 82.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 14 17.5%

• Total voters
It's a terrific song. I haven't heard an Opeth song yet that I haven't liked... I don't know how someone can call themselves an Opeth fan and not expect them to try new things... I think the gurgly vocals and the mellotron part near the end are fucking brilliant.

Right on, Frayed !!!!
Just go check out the war I had with these bozo's on that very subject on the "Worst Opeth moment" thread.
They fail to see the harm in slagging a band they say they dig so
much.
I say, either love 'em or hate 'em. Don't sit behind your keypad and think your "cool" slagging Opeth for writing songs ( or parts )
and expect me ( or the band, for that matter! ) to consider you a fan.
By the way........We all know what they say about opinions, but some things just shouldn't be said.
UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
:devil:

Agreed in full, Cliff. I felt compelled to start a new thread today to address somewhat that same topic. Or at least in the post, I mentioned that no one is going to consider you a fan if you think that you can criticize the band's skill as songwriters just because you "didn't like that one part on that one song". Those people kill me. Agh.

Originally posted by frayededges
Agreed in full, Cliff. I felt compelled to start a new thread today to address somewhat that same topic. Or at least in the post, I mentioned that no one is going to consider you a fan if you think that you can criticize the band's skill as songwriters just because you "didn't like that one part on that one song". Those people kill me. Agh.

I don't consider it to be criticizing a band's songwriting skills if a person says they really don't like one part of a song or that one of their songs isn't very good at all. There are songs by some of my favorite bands that I dislike and will comment on how lame they are whenever the opportunity presents itself; that doesn't mean I like the band any less. You can be a dedicated fan and not always be positive, just as long you're being honest and not just putting down the band to be an ass.

And besides, even if someone did comment on something lacking in an Opeth song, why would that make them less of a fan? Sure, Opeth can write better songs than I can and probably most of us, but that doesn't mean they're beyond the realm of criticism; not everything on here has to be praising them.

Originally posted by Cynical Bastard
I don't consider it to be criticizing a band's songwriting skills if a person says they really don't like one part of a song or that one of their songs isn't very good at all. There are songs by some of my favorite bands that I dislike and will comment on how lame they are whenever the opportunity presents itself; that doesn't mean I like the band any less. You can be a dedicated fan and not always be positive, just as long you're being honest and not just putting down the band to be an ass.

And besides, even if someone did comment on something lacking in an Opeth song, why would that make them less of a fan? Sure, Opeth can write better songs than I can and probably most of us, but that doesn't mean they're beyond the realm of criticism; not everything on here has to be praising them.

Nigga, Please.:Smokedev:

Deliverance is the only album I have so I can't compare it to any previous songs on other albums but I think it is the albums weakest song

It has several good parts such as the first 3 minutes and some of the following melodic sections but it doesn't sound as coherent as the other songs on the album and it sounds like some of the parts don't fit in the song

Its certainly not a bad song but I voted Nay when I comapred it to the rest of he album

That is a fair comment, it's sounds a little disjointed, but that may be it's intention also.
I did inspect the song again and do still think it is of a high standard, but noy as stong as the title track or Master..

Originally posted by Schism
Those who say Nay
What is your reason for disliking it (not just little parts either)?
There must be a reason that you would vote no against an opeth song!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

My opinion (and I've quite a few) is most OPETH fans, now a days,
are young, "nu" converts who used to (or still do) listen to a different form of metal and some of OPETH's material is a bit over the top for them. I don't think they quite understand what the band is trying to say.
If this is the case, they need to avoid SPIRAL ARCHITECT at all
cost!!!!!
:devil:

Don't be so stupid some of you. Sheesh, different people have different tastes.

I'm a long-time fan and woow, isn't it amazing, I don't like all of their songs.

Originally posted by Schism
That is a fair comment, it's sounds a little disjointed, but that may be it's intention also.
I did inspect the song again and do still think it is of a high standard, but noy as stong as the title track or Master..

The mellotron section doesn't seem to logically fit into the song's structure, and that's part of the reason why I love it...the contrast and the ability to pull off transitions that would sound inappropriate or poorly executed in lesser bands...

I love the mellotron part--beautiful, eerie--it makes the song. The transition into it is brilliant--the guitar melody and waltz feel morph perfectly into the mad circus music. However, the transition out of it is too abrupt IMO, a cop-out, like they couldn't think of a real seguey, so they just stopped and started, like in their earlier songs. They could have come up with a more organic seguey out. That's my only minor beef, and that I think the second riff is a bit generic; I'm glad it doesn't repeat. I would rank it second to last on the album, above Wreath, but I still like it a lot.

definitely nay... in fact it's opeth's only song i consider bad. for me deliverance ends with master's apprentices. well, okay the opening riffs is kinda good... but after that the song falls back into some kind of cut-and-paste cacoffiny... like: every riff that wasn't good enough for the first songs... let's just throw it all together and add some brainless studio effects. and that outro is truly disgraceful... who wants to wait three minutes for some backward vocals... i suspect steven wilson to have inserted this sick little joke... ;)
(o. for the record..... if anyone thinks i'm some kind of opeth-hater... well you're wrong... i just luvvvv criticizing and i don't see the point in praising opeth over and over again - )