byron Stroud in Fear factory

mindspell said:
You have to be kidding right?
Burton can barely sing more than 5 notes in his melodic parts... Maybe that he is a good frontman, but it doesn't mean he is a great vocalist, he is far from this...His mellow singing style on "descent" or "resurrection" or "replica" is repetitive...

I know vocalists too. I even know a classical vocalist that tours the world with his choir and all he ever said to me is that Burton CANNOT sing, he can growl. Besides, everytime he sings he has so much effects on his voice that anybody would sound decent. The guy can't sing...

oldlyonfreak said:
Burton can barely sing more than 5 notes in his melodic parts... Maybe that he is a good frontman, but it doesn't mean he is a great vocalist, he is far from this...His mellow singing style on "descent" or "resurrection" or "replica" is repetitive...
A vocalists' worth is not how many notes they can sing, but how well the notes are sung. Those are my three favorite vocal performances by Bell, and Self Bias Resistor would be my fourth. In those songs, he does more with his voice than Gildenlow, Labrie, Dickinson, Dio, Tate, Mercury, or all those faux-operatic prog metal singers have ever done.

Ever wonder why Ozzy's still around? Limited range, but his voice actually means something. It defined two generations of heavy music.

Daniel Gildenlöw is a truly gifted singer, guitarist and songwriter. Nothing Burton has ever done comes even remotly close to the genius that is Daniel Gildenlöw and Pain of Salvation.

Does this mean Byron is out of SYL? I'm curious because in an article he was refered to as former SYL bassist Byron Stroud. I think the article was from Roadrunner but don't hold me to that.

Many here seem to be fans of the Demanufacture-CD and not so much of the band and I'm one of them. I don't care much about the other records... on SOANM you can hear how Burton really tries to growl but it just sounds like he's torturing his voice. But with good songs and a more distinct niche Demanufacture came out ace! I bought Obsolete but all I heard was watered down versions of Demanufacture songs so I haven't cared much for them since then. Maybe this new CD will be more interesting?

Burning Darkness said:
Does this mean Byron is out of SYL? I'm curious because in an article he was refered to as former SYL bassist Byron Stroud. I think the article was from Roadrunner but don't hold me to that.

No, Byron is still in SYL . SYL is shooting a dvd in Vancouver this month, and they will record a new album this summer . All guys in the band have a lot of projects to come . Jed (Tenet, ZH...etc)

Geoff

Ivanhoe said:
Daniel Gildenlöw is a truly gifted singer, guitarist and songwriter. Nothing Burton has ever done comes even remotly close to the genius that is Daniel Gildenlöw and Pain of Salvation.
Well, we all have our opinions...

oldlyonfreak said:
No, Byron is still in SYL . SYL is shooting a dvd in Vancouver this month, and they will record a new album this summer . All guys in the band have a lot of projects to come . Jed (Tenet, ZH...etc)

Geoff

i thought they were only recording an EP of covers and assorted other tracks, not a full length album. At least thats what's being touted on the SYL board and confirmed by Jed on said board.

btw, who the fuck is Daniel Gildenlow? :hotjump:

I read that Herrera said on this new FF album, drummers who thought his drumming on demanufacture was godly haven't heard anything yet. I personally love FF they are one of my all time fave bands. Demanufacture is my favorite of all their albums, like so many of you guys, but I also like how they brought some melody into it as well like on Obselete. Digimortal was an alright album but nothing like their earlier stuff. I don't like Soul... that much because of Burton's vocals. Someone mentioned it sounded like he's torturing himself and I would totally agree with that. He's not the greatest melodic singer but I think it fits well with FF. I'm very anxious to hear this new cd of theirs.

BalanceofPower said:
I read that Herrera said on this new FF album, drummers who thought his drumming on demanufacture was godly haven't heard anything yet.
Oh, man. I can't wait!

I don't like Soul... that much because of Burton's vocals. Someone mentioned it sounded like he's torturing himself and I would totally agree with that.
Yeah, but the vocals are fucking awesome! He totally pwnt Chris Barnes and John Tardy. And that was the first death album to have dancebeats and clean vocals.

Burton C. Bell is one of my personal all time favorite vocalists. It doesn't matter if you say stuff like "he doesn't do much with his clean vocals" or whatever, because it's all in the way they sound. I love his clean vocals, most notably at the end of "Pisschrist". And he's a damn good growler too.