Cab for LIVE USE ONLY - is a semi/full open back preferable?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
I'm planning on buying a vertical 2x12 (probably used, probably Mesa) ONLY for live use (I'm also gonna get a 4x12 strictly for recording), and as a result, I was thinking that having a partially open-back cab would be advantageous, both for sound coverage (at the expense of tightness, though I figure that won't be nearly as much of an issue in a live mix rather than a recorded mix) and especially for the sake of the drummer behind it, cuz I'll often be playing in small places where he won't have a monitor. So what do you guys think? Is my logic sound, or would a fully closed back still have enough distribution to pretty much serve as a monitor for the drummer? (my main concern)

I dunno, direction I'm not sure about, but I've played plenty of open-back combos that didn't have overly flubby low end; certainly not outside the bounds of tolerance. Also, it's not like I'm gonna be running a Rectifier through this, my live rig is a Podxt (soon Pro) through a Hafler G150 MosFET power amp. What about those old Mesa halfback cabs, where the entire bottom was sealed, and the top was open? (like two 1x12's, one closed, one open). That seems like it'd be a happy medium, and is what I'm shooting for (unless you guys with way more live experience than me think that'd be a bad idea too).