cabinet help

May 23, 2007
hey guys im getting a peavey 6505 but im at loss as to what to run it through
can anybody give me some suggestions
i was thinking the peavey 6505 cab, a marshall 1960 ot maybe just a 2x12?

Mesa Rectifier 4x12 V30
Marshall 1960 (A or B)V V30
Ibanez Thermion cab (heard some GREAT results) V30

I'd say anything with Vintage 30's, I've recorded a 5150 through a 1960 A celestian G12 and it was a bit heavy on the high end.

As for 2x12...my next live cab will be a 2x12 just because they only mic up one speaker and its easier to haul around.

2nd EDIT: But for recording purposes I'd get an Engl over sized 4x12 V30 for more balls and i like the fact you can unscrew the grill (if you cannot already see the cone) for easier mic placement. But thats subjective.

For an even ballsier sound I suggest Orange 4x12 V30, they use 18ply birch ply wood

I really love 5150's through T75 speakers, but I also like them with V30's. For recording purposes, I think V30's work a bit better, but lately I've been getting nice tones with T75's with 5150II's and they kill. Sometimes, the upper mids on V30's can really get on my nerves. if you can keep the high end in check with T75's I think I prefer them in a live situation. I use Shuguang 9th gen. pre tubes in my 6505+ and they tame the high end, so my amp through my T75 loaded Madison sounds niiiice.

I have an Orange PPC412 coming my way, in black :headbang: Damn this waiting, since there were no black ones in stock. But well, I think it will be worth it :)

In my opinion the 6505 works best with V30's, but it's one of those amps that sound good through just about anything :lol:

No matter what you do, DONT buy the 6505 cab! It is terrible for recording. It sounds good in the room but I never had success recording those Sheffields and I never heard a great recorded git sound from them. AFAIK even EVH himself always loaded his 5150 cabs with Celesetion Greenbacks. That said I think V30's are the best match for that head. Either in a Mesa or ENGL cab. Even if they are in a cheap cab they will work great!

found a used marshall 1960A loaded with celestion G12T-75s which is the updated green back for a decent price would this suit me fine?

The G12T-75 are definately good speakers.
Most people arround here (me included) prefer V30's though. 5150 + V30 simply is the perfect match in my opinion....

I didnt know you could get black Orange cabs! :eek: :danceboy: Sweet!

Yeah, and the cool thing is that they are not more expensive than the normal ones. It's weird that they don't seem to have any info about these on their website.

Here's a picture of one:

ppc412.gif

found a used marshall 1960A loaded with celestion G12T-75s which is the updated green back for a decent price would this suit me fine?

Like i said in my first reply, I have that cab, and i've recorded a 5150(6505) through it and personally think the V30 cab would be a better idea. I think the 1960 with G12 its too 'top endy' and doesn't compliment the 5150's mid range well.

But thats from my experience. try both the V30 and G12 and see which you prefer.