Cabinet question: Engl vs Orange

Which one do you think is better for metal ?

• Engl 412 - Celestion V30

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Orange 412 - Celestion V30

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Catalin

Oct 19, 2008
www.myspace.com
Hello guys !
I need your help My band needs a new cabinet and we can't decide what to get:
- Engl 412 - Celestion V30
http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_e412vg_gerade_cabinet.htm
-Orange 412 - Celestion V30
http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_ppc412_andy_dunlop_signature_gitarrenbox.ht m
We have: Engl fireball, Engl Blackmore and Framus Dragon cabinet (Celestion-V30). So we need one more cabinet and don't know what to get...
As you probably already realized we play metal music :Smokin: We are lookin for a thick warm tone not a mid scooped one.
What do you all metalheads recommend ?
Thank you !

We have two amps: Engl Blackmore and Engl Fireball and one cabinet - Framus Dragon (v30). I will use the one who will sound best with the new cab. My guitar is a Schecter C1-EX Blackjack Baritone with Seymour Duncan JB and 59.

In a nutshell:

Orange = Thick, Dark, Warm.
Engl = Aggressive, Brighter, slightly more sterile.

Both have a decent level of high and low mids so no worries there. Ultimately if you want mids, mids, mids then the Engl is the way to go. Judging by the clips I have heard the Engl cabs seem to record better than the Orange. Different strokes though, I wouldn't write the Orange off because of that. It may just need a longer period of experimentation to get the micing right.

I've got a orange 2x12 with closed back, and hands down best cab i've ever played it rips so damn hard

Orange by far! Just recorded one of those. MAN. it's twice as thick as any other cab I can think of. It takes A LOT of bass and still keeps it tight. get the orange!

I dunno, I've never played an Orange, but all the clips I've heard (and impulses I've tried) have been just a bit too dark - seems like it'd be hard to get much "cut" out of one

Orange by far! it's twice as thick as any other cab I can think of. It takes A LOT of bass and still keeps it tight. get the orange!

same applies for the engl.

doesn't mean I think it's better, they're just different...orange kicks ass as well.

comes down to taste in the end-....
engl cabs just incedibly nice mids.

Yeah...and my Mesa Standard 4x12 laughs at bass. I think Engl, Orange, Mesa OS, and I think there was one other cab to go in the bunch, all have a very good design that handles low end really well. All of them have similar build qualities like the voidless plywood they use, the joints and thickness of the wood, etc. All of which contribute to their handling.

And, I would probably go with the Engl myself as well, for the same reasons Marcus described. They Orange cabs can be a little dark, definitely a little darker than most other cabs, but you may or may not like that. If you have a chance you should try them both out, obviously.

~006

Yep, it's the truth, because of their stupid "skid design feet," AKA wood rails on the bottom that make the floor resonate with it, which is a bad idea for recording if ever I've heard one...

Live though dude. Omfg....... Oranges Kill everything they just shear, and cut right through the mix, a 2x12 will destory to a full stack.