Mesa Standard vs Marshall 1960BV CABINET SHOOTOUT

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey guys, got a good one here... hopefully this will help some of you considering future purchases to be a little more informed

Here's the deal: I've got a couple of projects coming up... and one of them is going to be pretty fucking intense. I was having an online chat with a certain someone (not dropping names) & mentioned I was thinking of trading in my Marshall 1960BV cabinet for a Mesa. I've been working with this thing for the last few years & have noticed things are maybe a tad "pasty" in the upper mids with it.
His reply was "If I were you, I'd get the Mesa" or something to that effect. Well considering the source, it struck me as a rather profound statement.
Here's the thing: The Mesa Standard cabinet is the oversized bastard & comes loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s. Very solid construction... etc, etc. We all know it's a great cab.
When I originally purchased my Marshall cab back in '05... I had posted up on here if anyone had any recommendations for cabs loaded with v30s. Unfortunately, I didn't get any response. So, I went with the Marshall 1960BV. Bottom (straight) cabinet...V for Vintage. ......Thinking I was getting Vintage 30's in the cab. Let me make this very clear for everyone reading: THESE ARE NOT VINTAGE 30s! They're labeled "Marshall" and made by Celestion, and have the same wattage, but they sure don't sound the same.... as will be evidenced below.
The other thing I noticed is that the Marshall speakers are 4 ohms, whereas the Vintage 30s are 8 ohms. Interesting indeed.

So, here's what I grabbed yesterday:
mesacab.jpg

Got a discount for the tear in the grill cloth (it was a floor model & my town is filled with heathen bastards)... no big deal for me, I'm never going on stage with it. I just need a workhorse cab.

Anyway, after a very long day of testing with this thing, I've got some clips for you. Listen for yourself & make up your own mind. These are all reamps, so it's the same performance every time. One further thing: I was really knocked out by just how little EQ the Mesa cab needs compared to the Marshall in order to get the tracks to sit in the mix. After testing all day, i kept coming to the same conclusion: 1&2dB's for the Mesa: That's all that's needed. The Marshall... well...... you need to be a little more agressive with EQ to get it to behave.

Anyway, on to the clips: The first set, is a two mic RAW mix... meaning no EQ or compression. Just the sound of the speakers. Yes, it's my typical 57 on/off axis mic technique, in case you were wondering. The on axis is louder, but that's all the mixing that's gone into it.
RAW MESA STANDARD CAB
RAW MARSHALL 1960BV

And, raw tracks only tell part of the story, so I've included a couple of "full mix" tracks as well.

MESA FULL MIX
MARSHALL FULL MIX

Anyway, feel free to comment. I'll post my own opinions on the differences a bit later.

Enjoy!
-0z-

That Mesa cab does sound a lot better to my ears, definitely digging it! And DUDE, that DRUM SOUND! Man... I might have to take the 2.5 hour drive down to Windsor from Kitchener one day when I need to track drums, you seriously have got a good thing going on here bro...

Yeah, the Mesa for sure sounds better. Much smoother and even sounding than the Marshall. AND also I gotta agree with forbidden on the drum sound... it kills man

I bought a 1960av in like '03. I opened it up, and mine DID have Vintage 30's. I wonder when they changed.

I think the speakers have a very similar character particularly when listening to the RAW samples. In a mix it is quite different. I think the main difference that can be heard may be due to the Cab itself. Remember Matt Smith's Cabinet shootout between Mesa Traditional (smaller cab) and Mesa Standard (larger cab). Both obviously had V30's yet the sound difference is more vast than your examples I think. I do think the Mesa sounds better with more pronounced mids, but it's not as miles apart as a 75 and a V30 for the RAW tones at least.

Here's Matt Smith's samples. Samples with 1 in the filename are Smaller Traditional Cab, 3 in the filename are Larger Standard Cab and 2 are Krank with V12 not that it is relevant here.

http://sneapforum.kazrog.com/GuitarHack/Cabshootout.zip

Thanks for doing this, I always wondered how the Marshall at around half the price of the Mesa compared and now I know. :kickass:

Speaking of cabs, I'm aware everybody raves about V30's, but what about Greenbacks - how do they compare?
I'd really appreciate a comparison of the two... I know that Framus Cobra's cab has Greenbacks, so it shouldn't be a no-no for hi-gain stuff.
Did anyone try Hughes&Kettner cabs? They aren't pricey at all, I wonder how do they compare to the "Holy Grail" Mesa... :)

Let me make this very clear for everyone reading: THESE ARE NOT VINTAGE 30s! They're labeled "Marshall" and made by Celestion, and have the same wattage, but they sure don't sound the same.... as will be evidenced below.

They are V30s, but I know what you mean.

Celestion makes three different voicings of the V30 speaker: one for Mesa, one for Marshall, and one 'standard.'

The Mesa's are voiced a bit brighter, and the Marshalls a bit darker than the standard model. The Mesa/Marshall makes also have 10w higher power rating per speaker. V30s are generally considered to be 60w speakers, but both the Mesa and Marshall cabs have a total handling power of 280w (aka 70x4).

Also, 99% of speakers, V30s included, come in 4, 8, and 16 ohm configurations.

I like the Mesa more but the Marshall sure has its charm. How about a mix with 2 tracks of the Marshall and 2 of the Mesa? Thanks for this thread, btw :headbang:

i like both.
combined would be genius.
the marshall has got some upper mid throat, and the mesa is a bit more dark and low middy.
together they would be ace i reckon.
Oz...
Make it so

Yeah, I'd like to hear them both blended together. I think it would be cool. On their own, I like both but the Mesa much better. You should keep it and buy a Mesa and have both on hand at your disposal. Variety is the spice and all that crap, right?

I like the blurred 5150 settings!

;)

Also, to me the Marshall sounds a bit better in this scenario. Not as dark and finds it's spot in the mix just fine.

The Mesa tones are probably more what I would go for in a live setting (I prefer a darker tone), but in this mix, I can see the benefit of the Marshall.

I'd take the marshall i think, its got a nice tightness in comparison-would work nicer for my style of playing too. If I was going for a fatter tone though, maybe the mesa would come out. Thanks very much for taking the time to do the comparison Oz!