Cabs 101

Jeebo

Dec 29, 2005
Ok, so I finally got my first tube amp, a Laney VH100R. One problem...no cab yet. I know the speakers play a huge part in determining the sound output, but do the actual cabinets make a difference? Would, say, a Peavey XXX 4x12 cab loaded with V30s sound the same as a Mesa 4x12 with V30s? Do slant cabs make a difference in the sound too or is it merely for aesthetic purposes? Basically, I need a rundown on cabs and any help with them would be greatly appreciated.

i've only used Mesa, Marshall, and Line 6 cabs extensively and my impression is that the Marshall cab is the fizziest sounding and the Line 6 doesn't have as tight of a low end as the other two cabs.

i've only used Mesa, Marshall, and Line 6 cabs extensively and my impression is that the Marshall cab is the fizziest sounding and the Line 6 doesn't have as tight of a low end as the other two cabs.

Yes marshall is the fizziest, but this way you got the typical rock and roll sound ;) that I like so much.
The best so far is the mesa (oversized or not, they sound great)

If you can afford it get the orange 4 x12 it aint cheap but its one of the best cabs out there. oh and yes your cab and speaker selection make a big difference in your tone a lot of people overlook this.
Things like type and thickness of wood affect the tone. Wheather the cab is slanted or not wont make much difference in terms of recording with a mic up close but will for live applications basicaly there is a tighter bass response in a straight cab and more projection of the highs on a slant cab.

orange are blatently the king of cabs.
marshalls are too fizzy, and mesa are too muddy and farty

I've been thinking about either a Mesa 4x12 Slant or an Orange 4x12 straight with Celestion's in them. Could anyone give me a rundown in the difference of the speakers like V30s, Celestion's, etc.?

I'd have to say out of Andy's samples the Mesa V30 SM57 sounds best.

I have a 1960B Marshall 4x12 that I replaced GT75's with V30's and am pretty happy with it.

A buddy of mine had a Krankenstein half stack and then bought a Mesa 4x12. The Mesa blew the Krank cab away but he still sold it to have a full Krank stack. Which has now been replaced by Vaders.

I still think Mesa was the best sounding. I've heard Kranks, 5150's, DSL100's and more just complimented by them.

I hear Randall makes a great cab loaded with Celestion V30's.

As mentioned, Slanted cabs sound brighter and straight cabs carry more low end.

So Celestion and Eminence are brands then I assume. What are the basic types of speaker setups in cabs and which produce what kinds of sounds? Will a slant cab make that much of a difference in the low end sound? I'm deciding between an Orange 4x12 or a Mesa Slant 4x12 playing through a VH100R and a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser. Basically I'm really looking for a nice chunky low end with mid-high range clarity

So Celestion and Eminence are brands then I assume. What are the basic types of speaker setups in cabs and which produce what kinds of sounds? Will a slant cab make that much of a difference in the low end sound? I'm deciding between an Orange 4x12 or a Mesa Slant 4x12 playing through a VH100R and a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser. Basically I'm really looking for a nice chunky low end with mid-high range clarity

Your choice is simple get a straight orange 4x12 it will produce a big tight low end and a nice clear mid range just like you asked for its loaded with celestion v 30s its one of if not the best sounding 4 x 12 on the market but to achieve this it weigh's a ton if your doing a lot of gigs your back wont thank you its the price you have to pay for tone well that and the best part of €1k

Then make sure you have the poweramp fitted with 6L6/5881 power tubes.

that will bring out the metal (darker and fuller) of the amp and you will have better cleans.

with EL34 it will sound aggressive but more rockish (more mids and more bite)

take care:kickass:

About slanted vs. straight cabs: with a mic in front, there will be little to no audible difference. If you're playing live, a slant cab will project more sound up toward you, rather than blasting your knees. This is where the difference in tone comes from- it's like on- vs. off-axis micing. A slant cab will make it easier to hear yourself on stage. A straight cab will get more lows going in the room. Take your pick.

Personally, I wouldn't necessarily place all my votes in the Orange field; I'm sure they sound fantastic, but I don't think ANYONE would say that they sound better than an Engl or especially a Bogner 4x12, and those two certainly look better than that lame quirky Brit-esque grill. Being a Bogner owner, that's where my loyalties lie, but man alive, they can make cabs.

Oh, and having just sold my 5150 combo, if the speakers in it are anything like the speakers in Peavey's 4x12's, then STAY AWAY FROM PEAVEY CABS...holy god they were fizzy.

About slanted vs. straight cabs: with a mic in front, there will be little to no audible difference. If you're playing live, a slant cab will project more sound up toward you, rather than blasting your knees. This is where the difference in tone comes from- it's like on- vs. off-axis micing. A slant cab will make it easier to hear yourself on stage. A straight cab will get more lows going in the room. Take your pick.

This is kinda true and kinda not. Since the highs are pointed at your head (from the top 2 slanted speakers), you get the sense that there are more highs, and thus a straight produces more lows in the room. that's not true. Get your head inline with those speakers in the straight cab (i.e. bend down and take a listen) and it's the same effect as a slanted pointed at your head. Now, if you are on a raised stage those speakers will sound to the audience like a slanted would to you on stage (or closer to it). The idea that a straight "produces" more bass is wrong, IMO. The only argument for it would be the increased mass of a straight contributing to cab resonance and the idea of it being more boxy...Heck, Mesa oversized "straight" cabs still had slanted baffles...

IMO, the biggest difference will be projection since the baffle isn't slanted. The straight will be more focused projecting out rather than having an increased spread from the angled top speakers.

The original idea for a slanted cab was for bands to have full stacks and that top cab to project far enough to allow the whole auditorium or stadium to hear the guitars well...The PA's in the 60's just weren't that great, so they had to rely on stage volume and projection to get the sound to the audience in large venues.

As far as speakers go, V30's are known as having a slight high mid spike, good for cutting the mix. T75's are known as having a more relaxed mid and a good amount of bass and highs...This is why they are a good combo with Marshalls where they can tame the "Marshall mids" - also why some people call them fizzy.

FWIW, I believe Mesa coats the cones of their V30's, so they are slightly modded from regular V30's. Also, Mesa rates the Celestion V30's in their cabs at 70 watts a piece, while Celestion rates them at 60 watts.

Cab construction definitely plays a role in the sound as well. The number of plies, the type of wood, etc. MDF cabs tend to be stiffer and more sterile sounding with a good amount of bass, as the dense MDF lowers the resonant frequency. The stuff cab also allows the "speaker tone" to be more pronounced because the play between the speaker and cab is lessened due to the density of the MDF.

A nice quality ply cab made from good wood tends to sound more lively and resonant better, IMO. Also, terms like void free or marine grade can also indicate that there is less knotting (thus less filler) used which tends to mean it's a better quality wood. Baltic birch seems to be heard a lot in the construction of nice quality cabs, at least in my experience.

Personally, I wouldn't necessarily place all my votes in the Orange field; I'm sure they sound fantastic, but I don't think ANYONE would say that they sound better than an Engl or especially a Bogner 4x12, and those two certainly look better than that lame quirky Brit-esque grill. Being a Bogner owner, that's where my loyalties lie, but man alive, they can make cabs.

Aren't Bogner cabs made by Mojo? I know the company that makes Bogners also makes cabs for other manufacturers as well (using manu. specs, though, IIRC)...I'm thinking it's Mojo. I know they are (or used to be) made by a 3rd party.

I've never heard that, nor even heard of Mojo, but I've certainly been surprised by such things before, so you could be right. All I know is the majority of what I've read says that Bogners (especially the 2x12) are at the absolute top of the heap in terms of cabinets, which inspired me to get mine.