Californians...

The Emptier

t3h b3aSt0rZ
Oct 28, 2006
Columbus, OH/Bay Area, CA
www.facebook.com
I am amongst you :devil:

Anyways, couldn't really think of a proper thread to put it...but I moved from Portland to Oakland (Piedmont), because my mom and sister are relocating here, and my whole family + dad is already here. I still consider it an extended trip because I'll be moving again for college in late august, which is lame, I can't stand moving so much. Anyone in the area? I obviously have a whole summer to kill, I'll be checking out some shows, probably origin/hate eternal and most definitely the bodom/obscura etc. show. Besides that nothing else is on tap, recc me places to go? cd/record shops (besides amoeba obviously), good eatin's, etc. I'm a serious musician, so if anyone knows any good spots to play let me know, I'm also looking for musicians to jam with, in any style really. Natives, give me the skinny!

:D

Which Amoeba? There's one on the same street as Rasputin music in downtown Berkeley, which is an awesome area.

Jack London Square on the waterfront in Oakland is also a cool place, bunch of restaurants and shops and a huge movie theater. There are also a couple other historic theaters from the '20s like the Fox Oakland Theater and the Grand Lake Theater.

If you like baseball even a little bit, try to go see a Giants game. AT&T Park is seriously the best place to watch a game.

There are several good music venues, mostly in San Francisco. The Fillmore, Grand Ballroom and Slim's are all really cool places. Slim's has a really intimate atmosphere with no barricade in front of the stage.

Also, if weed is your thing, it's pretty damn easy to get a prescription from a doctor for a marijuana card. There are tons of dispensaries, especially in Oakland.

I've been to the big Amoeba and the Berkeley one, my mom/sis are actually going to be living a couple minutes walk from there right in Berkeley, i'll definitely be all over there. Definitely going to check out a Giant's game with the pops. Weed isn't my particular favorite, but if I'm so inclined I think I'll be set because my cousin actually has a card, which he said was a joke to get :lol:

Check out Aquarius Records in San Francisco, on Valencia Street (which is a cool place to check out anyhow). They have a phenomenal collection of independent and obscure albums, including a large metal section.

If you're into books check out Moes on Telegraph (right across from Amoeba). It has a great selection of used books.

There are a ton of great restaurants. Try Burma Superstar on Telegraph and 51st street in Oakland. Give some of the Ethiopian restaurants around Grand Ave. a shot (when I have time I'll rec. the good one).

Well, it's due to forces that I can't control. I go to california multiple times a year, and was born in Burbank, but it's absolutely astounding to see how different it is from Oregon/Portland. In the latter there is absolutely NO diversity, people may think it's really hip and cool and funky, but it's only like that with a bunch of white people. In Portland, I think it would actually be impossible to find more than 5 people of a different nationality walking around together, or 5 people of a different nationality driving in a row. Portland is also just so damn nice, there are truly no ghettos and I never ever felt unsafe there, no matter where I was at what time. Regardless, I lived in Portland for 13ish years, and I think we all got sick and tired of it. I'm very excited to start exploring!

There are a lot of places north of where you can go hiking and the scenery is amazing. I currently live in L.A but I used to live in sonoma county wine country... driving through all the vineyards is really beautiful, if you're into wine, you could go wine tasting always fun to learn and get drunk. ;)
There are some cool hiking spots in marin.

So far things have been badass, I have a payed gig this friday and I'm in contact with someone about a gig playing music for a theatre show in August. I'm also going to apply to be a camp counselor at a day camp in august....just trying to keep myself as busy as possible. No complaints so far, the driving is meh, but that's just mostly on the freeway during bad hours. It's so great to finally be around family for once

I'd wave, but you wouldn't be able to see it through all the smog.

God damn the smog is such shit here. It's a rare day when I can see the mountains where I am, and it's all thanks to L.A.'s bullshit geographical location. That shit just meanders over here.

I am amongst you :devil:

Anyways, couldn't really think of a proper thread to put it...but I moved from Portland to Oakland (Piedmont), because my mom and sister are relocating here, and my whole family + dad is already here. I still consider it an extended trip because I'll be moving again for college in late august, which is lame, I can't stand moving so much. Anyone in the area? I obviously have a whole summer to kill, I'll be checking out some shows, probably origin/hate eternal and most definitely the bodom/obscura etc. show. Besides that nothing else is on tap, recc me places to go? cd/record shops (besides amoeba obviously), good eatin's, etc. I'm a serious musician, so if anyone knows any good spots to play let me know, I'm also looking for musicians to jam with, in any style really. Natives, give me the skinny!

:D

my friend Gabe is playing drums for Abysmal Dawn on the Hate Eternal/Origin tour.