Calling all Opeth homos

You can't possibly be serious.
Someone who actually has a good knowledge of their discography (meaning listened to their music more than once and said fuck this shit!) type me an argument as to why Opeth is so bad. The cut and paste and predictable arguments are bullshit and are not allowed to be used either.

Opeth can't decide if they want to be metal or acoustic/soft rock. I used to like them some five/six years ago, but not anymore.

All of the great metal bands have written ballads and soft songs, there's nothing wrong with it.

They´re not boring wankers,that´s only the impression you´d get after listening to them only a few times. Concentrated listening to them a large number of times opens a whole new world that´s completely different from your first impression.

They´re not boring wankers,that´s only the impression you´d get after listening to them only a few times. Concentrated listening to them a large number of times opens a whole new world that´s completely different from your first impression.

I thought they were boring as fuck the first time I heard 'Black Rose Immortal'. After repeated listens, you know how intricate the music is and it becomes special

@ King Drunkard: I have listened to the majority of their albums in their entirety many times. In fact, I used to be an Opeth fan before I wised up.

i know everything about everything on my first listen every time. i have no idea why everyone seems to be "missing" a bunch of the sounds. all you gotta do is pay attention. of course you are gonna miss stuff if you are vacuuming while listening. my suggestion is don't vacuum while listening.

opeth is actually better than most bands but they are far from my favorite. calling a band "predictable" is pretty stupid. it's barely better than just the juvenile, "they suck". what the fuck does it mean, anyways? does the listener's esp only work on certain bands? who runs around predicting what a band is gonna do next? doesn't even make any sense.

The reason people don't like Opeth is because they're so goddamn predictable. Every album has the same excact formula and the songs on ablums aren't even connected that well. Opeth is good, but they fail in many categories

Edit: Every album consists of one acoustic song and the others are combinations of soft parts and distorted parts. Often a soft melodic alt distortion part as well

Yeah. It seems that Opeth have a certain percentage of their music allotted to soft/acoustic rock. That is the predictable element. However, these soft passages often seem to be randomly inserted, and sound forced. The randomness of the frequent occurrences of soft passages is far from predicatable. It seems like Mikael is a big acoustic rock fan, and feels that he absolutely needs to incorporate that into his own music (Opeth being a band based in metal). People who don't like acoustic/soft rock won't like Opeth, because almost half of Opeth's music is acoustic/soft rock.

Opeth also have a tendency to draw out passages past the point of interest and I also hate songs that only have one passage I like, if the rest of most of the others fail then I won't listen to the song. THis is a big risk they take. I feel like they've learned to put in the softer parts well now though.

Orchid is really good because they had this sense of honestly on that album, it wasn't all insincere sounding like they progressed to by Blackwater Park and had been building up to on the records prior to that (with the exception of MAYH which is actually decent as well.)

I think that the issues Opeth have mostly stem from taking a good riff, extending it for far too long, and then having a REALLY obnoxious transition from a heavy part to the soft acoustic sections and then back again.

I accept the criticism that most of their songs are simply a random collection of riffs, with some fairly awkward transitions at times, but that doesn't change the fact that most of their riffs are so epic and expressive and can evoke emotion like few others in metal. THe contrasts are, for the main, part of the attraction.

And given I can listen to many DM albums, particularly the more technical ones, and not really notice when one song ends and another begins, one can hardly criticise them for all their songs sounding the same. Opeth generates about 10 riffs per 10 minute song that would each have the strength to be the main 'theme' riff in any verse-chorus-verse DM band or in any 'repeat the same riff over and over to be epic' band like Primordial.