Calling all Opeth homos

I pity the people who cannot see the contrast of beauty and brutality in Opeth.And anybody who isn't blown off by Master's Apprentices' first riffs, go away.

Well said sir...well said. I get so pumped when I start to hear that song.

Seen them twice this year, at Defenders of the Faith and at Wacken. First time to see them actually in their own right will be in London soon with Cynic (this line up could pretty much only get better with like... Tool...) Pretty psyched. I liked Watershed, again its a different sound while still Opeth, and definately showcasing Mike's 70's influences. I expect the next album to be quite a bit heavier.

Anyway, Some people might find them boring... fine - its not for everyone. To say they're repetitive and cut n paste has got to be some kind of Sin however.

Anyway, Some people might find them boring... fine - its not for everyone. To say they're repetitive and cut n paste has got to be some kind of Sin however.
Well, the songwriting style is very hard to get for some people. It's kind of like the atmosphere in Burzum (and Opeth for that matter).

For me, what it is is that most of the songwriting just hasn't really gone anywhere since 'MAYH'. I can't remember one single thing off 'Deliverance' for example but I can tell you where almost every part in every song of the first three albums is.

For me, what it is is that most of the songwriting just hasn't really gone anywhere since 'MAYH'. I can't remember one single thing off 'Deliverance' for example but I can tell you where almost every part in every song of the first three albums is.

Heh, Deliverance for me is probably their best constructed song. It flows incredably well. And the songwriting on Still Life and BWP was better than on MAYH. On MAYH they were still suffering from the curse of "drum fill to new riff" that haunted Orchid and Morningrise, though it was less prevalent on MAYH. I love the old albums but for me, Opeth have become so much more since then.

Its also a pretty impossible task to compare albums, each fan has his favourite. Ask 10 fans and you'll get 10 answers. Opeth have always switched it up album to album, that, for me, is one of the attractions.

Its also a pretty impossible task to compare albums, each fan has his favourite. Ask 10 fans and you'll get 10 answers.

this is true.

Part of it for me is the guitars, the heavy ones, are just so bland nowadays. All the heavy riffs are cut from that same 'Leper Affinity' mold and sometimes there's not even riffs. The guitars are just very anti-melodic to me most of the time in the newer stuff, so a lot of potential dynamic is lost right off the bat.

I did like some of 'Damnation' but that song Steven Wilson wrote sucks. Porcupine Tree = fail.

I think it would be more progressive (of them as a band, not for music in general) to write a completely metal album, or at least a completely metal song, with no clean instrument tones or vocals. They've already done a completely clean album, next logical step would be a completely brutal one. Also, I think most fans wouldn't really expect it because they're so used to Opeth combining the two.

Not an Opeth fan, but I did see them live like five years back, (I believe testament opened for them) and their acoustics come off horrible in that type of setting. They should remove as much of the acoustic part in their songs as possible. Or, they should find others venues to play that stuff.

The only bright side was getting a good laugh at everyone headbanging to the loud parts, then swaying back and forth like little girls during the acoustics.

I think it would be more progressive (of them as a band, not for music in general) to write a completely metal album, or at least a completely metal song, with no clean instrument tones or vocals. They've already done a completely clean album, next logical step would be a completely brutal one. Also, I think most fans wouldn't really expect it because they're so used to Opeth combining the two.

They kind of did. Its called The Fathomless Mastery ;)

I figured the addition of Akesson and Axenrot would motivate Mikael to write more metal but I was wrong.