Calling all Opeth homos

the other covers are excellent. stayed true to the originals(from what ive listened to of them), while still sounding like opeth. the way a cover should be, don't fuck it up but inject your own flavor.
they would work as opeth songs if you had no idea they were covers.

I already have it in my head EXACTLY what their covers of Would and Bridge of Sighs sounds like. I know that it won't sound anything even remotely like that. Well if Would is never coming out then I guess I can go ahead and buy the album right away (I was expecting it to come out on some future special edition).

I was trying to find Opeth's Bridge of Sighs and instead I found Down playing the song. That's pretty effing cool. But I hope Opeth's version is like freaking genius from start to finish because I'm hoping against hope that it can get my brother into Opeth. He despises metal but I think he would love it if he could look at it in a positive light and Trower is one of his favorite bands. Too bad they picked Bridge of Sighs though because that's the most cliche choice. If they had done Hannah or For Earth Below or something then Opeth would get points from him just for picking a deep song.

I'm pretty pissed about Would? getting left off. Any hope of a leak or something?

I already have it in my head EXACTLY what their covers of Would and Bridge of Sighs sounds like. I know that it won't sound anything even remotely like that. Well if Would is never coming out then I guess I can go ahead and buy the album right away (I was expecting it to come out on some future special edition).
Well, given Roadrunner's tendency to milk something for all it's worth, there surely will be a second special edition at some point. And if it is indeed true that they scrapped the Would? cover, then there's no reason not to try again at some point in the future. so who knows if such a cover shall ever see the light of day.

I've only heard 3 songs so when getting Watershed it's going to be really exciting(probably get a boner).

I liked the Trower cover, though I think the guitar tone was a little too clean and clear, and the bass was a tad bit low. The bass in the video of Trower playing it that I saw was warm and melodic, but in the cover it's a bit... I don't know, muddy?

^ Yeah I was expecting Mikael to jam Bridge of Sighs a bit more but all in all he stayed true to the song.

So what's the general reaction of the Opeth forum over this record? I never go there anymore.
They are pretty much blowing their wads over there like usual. I do agree that the album is amazing tho'.

I like it, it's growing on me and upon first hearing it I didn't think it would. (The second half of) Hessian Peel is quite cool, probably the most memorable heavy moment since Deliverance imo.

The Opeth forumers are cumming their pants as usual, but then again they're so swept up in fandom that they'd never be able to approach music with a more critical manner anyway. You could get Akerfeldt to write a rap album and they'd still stand in line to eat sausage.

If Akerfeldt made a rap album that would be one of the best days of my life. Well... top 2,000 maybe. :D

Anyway, I guess no one has put Bridge of Sighs up on Youtube or anything yet... I want to hear it. And it might be a couple weeks before I get Watershed.