Calling all Opeth homos

I ended up acquiring the album yesterday from a bandmate for a cheap price because he accidentally purchased the regular version instead of the special edition that he wanted. I kinda surprised myself doing that because Opeth isn't really one of those bands whose albums I still blindly purchase when they're released without having heard any of it, and Ghost Reveries was the only one I wasn't enamored with enough to ever buy.

I can't really recall all of the new things they tried on GR aside from adding a full-time keyboardist (were they using blast beats like they did on this new one?), but whatever turned me off about it they seemed to get right this time around, at least to some degree. Haven't fully absorbed it yet, but they still pull off some of their characteristic ideas, and nothing has struck me as downright bad yet. The more technical musicianship also seems to stay tasteful and not out of place.

I already have it in my head EXACTLY what their covers of Would and Bridge of Sighs sounds like. I know that it won't sound anything even remotely like that. Well if Would is never coming out then I guess I can go ahead and buy the album right away (I was expecting it to come out on some future special edition).

I was trying to find Opeth's Bridge of Sighs and instead I found Down playing the song. That's pretty effing cool. But I hope Opeth's version is like freaking genius from start to finish because I'm hoping against hope that it can get my brother into Opeth. He despises metal but I think he would love it if he could look at it in a positive light and Trower is one of his favorite bands. Too bad they picked Bridge of Sighs though because that's the most cliche choice. If they had done Hannah or For Earth Below or something then Opeth would get points from him just for picking a deep song.

I'm pretty pissed about Would? getting left off. Any hope of a leak or something?

He will get into metal, eventually.

Opeth songwriting session:

ok guys so let's start out realllyyy soft...
AND THEN GO REALLY HARD!!
AND THEN SUDDENLY go realllly soft again, with the vocals silky smooth and angelic......
AND THEN OUT OF NOWHERE GO REALLY FUCKIN HARD, GROWLING THE FUCK OUT OF MY THROAT AND JUST GO APESHIT
and then surprise them with an acoustic outro....

awesome, so on the next song let's be unpredictable and start out HARD instead!
high five!

yeah we are teh uber progressive band :Smug:

Damn, I watched the rehearsal tapes off of that Watershed DVD and it's pretty hilarious how Mikael doesn't seem to have to put in any effort at all when he's doing those growls, but then he has to concentrate really hard to do the soft vocals... I thought it was really funny, because when he was doing the growling parts he didn't look like he was going that kind of a vocal at all.

September
16 - Town Ballroom - Buffalo, NY
17 - Trocadero - Philadelphia, PA
18 - Nokia - New York, NY
19 - Palladium - Worcester, MA
20 - Imperial - Quebec City, PQ
21 - Centennial Hall - London, ON
23 - House of Blues - Cleveland, OH
24 - House of Blues - Chicago, IL
25 - Oribt Room - Grand Rapids, MI
25 - Oribt Room - Grand Rapids, MI
I fucking hate everyone who is going to be able to go to these shows

Hmm, I could go to the Worcester show, but Carcass would have been there two weeks earlier. Obviously I'd rather see Carcass, not only because I've already seen Opeth live once, though not as the headliner.

Opeth songwriting session:

ok guys so let's start out realllyyy soft...
AND THEN GO REALLY HARD!!
AND THEN SUDDENLY go realllly soft again, with the vocals silky smooth and angelic......
AND THEN OUT OF NOWHERE GO REALLY FUCKIN HARD, GROWLING THE FUCK OUT OF MY THROAT AND JUST GO APESHIT
and then surprise them with an acoustic outro....

awesome, so on the next song let's be unpredictable and start out HARD instead!
high five!

yeah we are teh uber progressive band :Smug:

Hey clueless, Mike has many different inspirations and influences in his writing, so WHY IN THE HELL SHOULDN'T HE USE THEM ALL?!?!?!?! This argument is so fucking stupid, that Mike is trying to make Opeth "uber-progressive" or some shit. Get over it, geez! Can't the man be allowed to have his own artistic vision without it meaning that he's "pretentious"? If you don't like it fine, but get the fuck off your high horse and stop trying to sound cool to the other haters. I think it was LadyValerie who said it best a few pages back - "Shut...the fuck...up!!!" :mad:

Why don't you go to the Cleveland show?

Back on topic, can't WAIT for this show now that Nachtmystium is opening up. I'm sure they will have something special lined up considering it's their biggest gig ever in front of their hometown.

I pity the people who cannot see the contrast of beauty and brutality in Opeth.And anybody who isn't blown off by Master's Apprentices' first riffs, go away.

Honestly, I can't imagine how anybody could not like Opeth. Every album they have put out has been nothing less of a masterpiece. And don't even get me started on how they put on absolutely amazing live performances. By far ONE of my favorite metal bands.