Camel - Never Let Go

Kaberonie

PimpDaddyKABZ
Feb 20, 2003
www.kabz.cjb.net
I heard Opeth listened to these guys so I downloaded some random song of theirs and the intro sounds just like Benighted. The song is Never Let Go...
I know very little about this band, and what their overall sound is like...anyone know why the songs are almost identical in that one section? And the connection between the bands?

Read the FAQ that gives the answer about Benighted. Opeth is heavely influenced by Camel, and many other prog rock bands. READ THE FAQ!!!

I've only been able to download one song so far, and it is "Airborne"... which I like a lot. Too bad there's not many sources to download. :-\ I don't wanna buy an entire album just because a band likes them so much, I want to hear it for myself.

Kaberonie said:
I heard Opeth listened to these guys so I downloaded some random song of theirs and the intro sounds just like Benighted. The song is Never Let Go...
I know very little about this band, and what their overall sound is like...anyone know why the songs are almost identical in that one section? And the connection between the bands?

wow.

Is it a camel song being played before the heavy set on the DVD and at the start? it sounds awfully similar to Camel. Also, which Camel song do you think Opeth ripped Ending Credits off?

strwdle said:
Is it a camel song being played before the heavy set on the DVD and at the start? it sounds awfully similar to Camel. Also, which Camel song do you think Opeth ripped Ending Credits off?
You'd have to ask Per - he wrote it. I doubt it's one song in particular that they ripped off, rather it sounds like the Camel 'style' was taken and made into a song. If you listen to their tracks, you'll hear alot of similar lead work, with very similar tone too.

I think both comments that "Ending Credits" is "a Camel ripoff" and "Per wrote it" were just jokes. If it was a Camel ripoff, you'd think he'd want to hide that fact. And if Per wrote the thing... why do the credits say ONLY Mikael Akerfeldt? If Per wrote the music, and there's no lyrics... why did Mikael get sole credit? Steve got partial credit for his lyrics in "Death Whispered a Lullaby."

That doesn't overshadow the fact that the song does in fact, despite what the true intentions of Mikael may be, sound like Camel.

I'm not sure about the credits, but I have read a few interviews with Mike where he credits the song to Per. What purpose would having said that in jest serve?

I don't really like Moonmadness that much, I mean it's alright but nothing amazing. Which Camel album has the most guitar work in? I've been trying to figure out where Mike learnt his crazy playing (acoustic stuff now).

strwdle said:
I don't really like Moonmadness that much, I mean it's alright but nothing amazing. Which Camel album has the most guitar work in? I've been trying to figure out where Mike learnt his crazy playing (acoustic stuff now).

he didnt learn his acoustic playing from camel.

and moonmadness is fantastic, try listening some more...not a bad track on there.

the more "guitar" oriented camel would be Mirage or The self Titled...but really any of them are a good example of latimers excellent knack for melody and near perfect phrasing with complete consistancy.

deliverance said:
what wow?

I don't know if it came across in my first post...but I did know that tid bit in the FAQ...I have heard them say they were influenced by them...I just didn't know to what extent if that makes sense..

Its not the most common knowledge for ALL Opeth fans to know about another fucking band that they are influenced by. :rolleyes:

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
and near perfect phrasing with complete consistancy.

That is the only similarity that I have noticed between both ''Camel'' and ''Opeth''. I think that Mikael Åkerfeldt is very inspired by Andy Latimer's excellent phrasing in the lead guitar work of ''Camel'' songs.

jaykeegan said:
That is the only similarity that I have noticed between both ''Camel'' and ''Opeth''. I think that Mikael Åkerfeldt is very inspired by Andy Latimer's excellent phrasing in the lead guitar work of ''Camel'' songs.

yes, absolutely.

As for the song he ripped "ending credits" off from...if i had to guess, id say "the snowgoose" from the album of the same name.

It resembles that song in structure more than any other camel song in my opinion...both being instrumental ballads with almost all guitar driven lead melodies. I have a recording of me playing the song when i got my new PRS a few months ago...maybe ill post it in this thread.

The intro on The great march by Camel is pretty similar to the intro on The moor but that is not a big deal I mean every band has influences, unless it's not a totaly rippoff and in this case it's not.