Camel

Their more recent albums are hugely underrated. Harbour of Tears and Rajaz are both fantastic, and just as good, IMO, as their 70s albums.

I'm not really getting why the band's The Snow Goose album is so highly rated. It just doesn't seem to possess the energy of Moonmadness and Mirage. A nice instrumental rock album, but that's all.
Van der Graaf Generator's Still Life doesn't do much for me either. It seems tamer than the previous two albums and Hammill's vocals are way over the top due to the band trying a more mellow approach.

Speaking of the Canterburry scene, I need to check out Caravan, Gong and National Health, among others.

Fuck, this thread is ancient.

Thats OK, I dont recall many Camel conversations recently.

I'm not sure I like Camel as much as I should. I remember someone having a record but not hearing it much. Now today going back and catching up, I can appreaciate the talent and creativity but its not grabing ahold of me. I have Moonmadness I probably just need more time with it.

Somebody mentioned Gong. Their early stuff is psychadelic, the mid 70's era is to me, their more complex stuff.... more to do with the jazz side of the musical spectrum, Gazuese is great. Alan Holdsworth plays on that one.

Camel are a criminally underrated band. Excellent contribution to the prog-rock of the 70's. Andrew Latimer has one of the most beautiful guitar tones ever!!

I always knew who the picture was, now...are you Mr. Alder? I saw Fates Warning waaay back in 92' supporting the Parallels album. Saw them a few years ago with Savatage, and then with Dream Theater with Aresti back in the band.

I received the Snow Goose this week and it's a fantastic album too!

I understand well why Mikael Akerfeldt said that Andy Latimer is his main influence on guitar!

I really like Mirage and Moonmadness too!

Ramses, no man, I'm NOT Ray Alder. I think it might be safe to say, that Mr. Alder, would NOT argue with other forum members as much as I do. HAHA!!!! In case of interest, my girlfriend wanted me to use his picture, as she thinks He/I resemble each other. I don't know why she was so insistent about it. But, then again, my knowledge of woman could probably be contained in a shot glass. They can be confusing. So, rather than dispute her over something so minor, I just let it go.