Can I ask little HM-2 help?

nezvers

Beast
Oct 5, 2010
Latvia, Riga
I came up with little idea to make free ghetto plugin to emulate HM-2, but unfortunately I don't have one (hence idea to make plugin).
I need someone to run re-amp through HM-2 ONLY straight back into interface (need max drive version with neutral EQ at noon + version with added L&H at max). Volume just so interface record max volume WITHOUT clipping.

Idea is to make simple waveshaping plugin (as I said ghetto HM-2) as free VST to those that won't be able to buy TSEx50v.2
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12761142/NeZvers_studio/HM-2 DI test.wav

Here you go. Not sure how you're gonna replicate the gain structure inside the pedal though. It's where the chainsaw live.

Attachments

• HM2.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
After I saw this thread, some kind of lightbulb flashed above my head, and I tried something stupid:

I created impulse from Behringer HM300. Then in Reaper added to FX chain:

1: Distortion (Just something, I used "Screamer" from PodFarm)
2: NadIR (HM300 impulse)
3: Amp (x30)
4: NadIR (random cab impulse...)

And that actually works! Ok, there's not so much that "chainsaw", but tone is close. And PodFarm's "KillerZ" could work better, or something else.

Here's that impulse, at least try :D
https://www.dropbox.com/s/er87c78ehl077tz/HM300_Max_dc.wav?dl=0

Dunno how you could do it with impulses and your doesn't do anything for me.

I found that I don't need to get into area of plugin making I don't know yet - there is cross-platform waveshaper from Melda that does what I wanted to do. I added FXP preset (Steinberg plugin format - FL Studio and Reaper can load them without problem), since without licence it doesn't allow save internal preset.
Here is my little test running it through TSE R47 (4% drive, 0%filter) and TSEx50mkII with little gain. For FULL-ON give boost on 87Hz and 852Hz (after waveshaper)

Attachments

• MWaveshaper - HM-2.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Dunno how you could do it with impulses and your doesn't do anything for me.

I tried it again, with PodFarm's "Classic distortion". If drive is at zero, or near, that impulse almost disappears for some reason.

But that waveshaper thing sounds better. How did you get that "chainsaw" distortion, does it come from R47..? Can't use it, because 64bit only.

you can get chainsaw without R47, but It helped me to get little more of fuzz drive texture when drive is REALLY low (4%). You'll get chainsaw even without it.
I found way to see how distortion is waveshaping by using saw waveform oscilator, because it's linear from positive peak to negative (or other way around depending on synth). I than mimicked that waveshape, but there was little nuance that I'm not able to get 100%. Still it was supposed to be ghetto attempt at sound and I'm pretty happy with result. Maybe when I'll get TSE update with HM-2 I'll be able to tweak my ghetto HM-2 sound.

Now I'm wondering how the hell Swedish Death metal tone can have that amount of highs and scoop in raw tone.

Aaaaa......I think I only now understood what that waveshaper does :D Interesting.
That HM300 impulse sounds quite good between waveshaper and amp, it gives some of that "tone" from the real pedal.

Impulse from HM-2, anyone???

how is that impulse made, EQ matching non-EQ with FULL-ON? In that case I can try provide HM-2 impulse from Burny.
EDIT: thought to make impulse for EQ-match on my MWaveShaper preset. But somehow it's not like it should be

Attachments

• HM-2 Full-On EQ IR.zip
    24.5 KB · Views: 7
  • MWSh to HM Full-on IR.zip
    24.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I used Voxengo Deconvolver. 12s. test tone through pedal, and then that into Deconvolver to process impulse.

Just tried that your HM-2 version, it sounds almost same...Maybe not so much highs and more bass. But almost no difference.

Editttt: Grave - Into The Grave...........
Classic Distortion--->Waveshaper--->NadIR (HM300 impulse)--->x30--->NadIR (something.....)

No bass guitar

Last edited:
Wait you deconvolved/ "profiled" distortion? Can you post IR?
Yes :D .....Aaaand I already posted it, post #4, dropbox link. And you told that it doesn't do anything. But the "problem" was, that it needs some drive/distortion before it.

So it works great after that your waveshaper preset, and before amp. Like this:
Classic Distortion--->Waveshaper--->NadIR (HM300 impulse)--->x30--->NadIR (something.....)

And there's almost no difference between my HM300 deconvolved IR, and your HM2 EQ match IR.

But now I'm thinking, that it would be interesting to try to "copy" the tone of other distortion pedals too and see if it works..

oh, than it's EQ match IR (pedal without EQ to match pedal with EQ) and not what I though you did (run through full distortion like kemper, that was frustrating me because that never worked for me)