HELP! Entombed Death/HC HM-2 & amp sims

Crabmeat

Crustacean Grinds Inc.
Jul 12, 2004
OK!! Here’s hoping someone can help!

Basically I’ve working on a death, punk, HC, grind project with the infamous Swedish Sunlight Studios sound in mind (ala Black Breath, Nails, Disfear, Trap Them, Rotten Sound, etc.) and I would love some feedback on guitar tone, EQ, mix etc. as I’ve reached a point where I can’t seem to progress much further.
I’ve scoured this (awesome) forum and pretty much everywhere else on the net where people are vying for this sound and done the best I can considering my noobesque technical limitations and know-how. I’ve spent A LOT of time on trying to get this down and I’m frustrated.:cry:

The catch? I’m using amp sim VSTs (seems my neighbours are not Dismember fans!) for the most part but I AM going through a real MIJ Boss HM-2 (the essential ingredient!).

Here’s a track I’m working on for people to rip apart! :devil: As reference I’ve actually recorded the first 15 seconds of Entombed’s “Drowned” intro for me (and you) to kind of compare before my song starts properly. It’s got a bit of everything I’m after stylistically for this project (Hardcore thrashing, chugs and a slow, black metalesque break) so it’s pretty comprehensive as far as the kind of music I’m looking to make. No vocals yet (that’s another story for another month!)

http://www.mediafire.com/?fjedft6e441ylap (big ol wav)
or
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24343732/CTTK (Mix 4).mp3

If anyone’s interested, I’d love fresh ears. I’m not after release quality. Just something I can show around and maybe be a little proud of!
Thanks in advance to anyone!!!
Grind on!!

Chain/software info:
DAW – Cubase
Guitars – Charvel late 80’s (great for thrash!!) - 3 tracks (1 full left with HM-2> Guitar Rig (slightly crunchy clean tone), 1 full right with HM-2> Guitar Rig (slightly different amp/cab setting but usually same exact audio file as Left git), 1 guitar straight down the middle through Guitar Rig (no HM-2, more standard chuggy sound). A little EQ on all
* also there’s an extra non-HM-2 guitar for melody augments during the black metal bits)
Bass – Aria Pro II Integra > Boss HM-2 > Line 6 Gearbox
Drums – EZ Drummer (Meatalheads)
Master Strip – Izotope Ozone with a little loudness (not brickwalled!), a little EQ

PS - Yes, I've tried EQ matcing software (voxengo) but not happy with the results

The high end / the cymbals sound super weird, sounds like you put a +20db high shelf on them, and I can't really hear what's going on in the mix because of that.
There's also definately too much compression on the cymbals, just give it a lot more breath!
But the little bits I managed to hear sound good so far

Thank you both for your feedback!

FloridaRolf - Yeah, definately a bit "blech" with the drums.
I've taken the compressor off the cymbals and tightened the snare and kick a bit.
Taken out some highs overall as well. I hope this cleans it up a bit but I still feel I'm hitting my head against a brickwall.:erk:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24343732/CTTK (Mix 6).mp3

Dan Lights - Agreed, I need to work on humanizing the drums a bit more. I've done some already here but yeah, needs more work. I've actually used Toontrack midi libraries (Library of the Extreme I and II for most of this with obviously some edits and programming but tried not to stray too far from intended tempos and levels). I suppose I should upgrade to Superior at some point! Also, I'm quiet fond of the bass rumble (hmmmm.... brutal truthy)
Por cierto, asi que Venezolano en españa? Yo madrileño en Australia!;)

Any further pointers, people?