IN FLAMES: Man Made God (5150, Taylor Acoustics and other good shit!)

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Hi dudes,

Another ITB cover for you that I have painstakingly attempted to recreate in all its glory this month. This one is from the Colony era and is definitely one of my favourite instrumentals of all time. Did my best to get some authentic tones, which did my nut in but I’m proud of the result, and of course, you can never sleep easy if you haven’t tried to work to the best of your abilities!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1206505/In Flames 2010 - Man Made God - Kev Parsons.mp3

A brief breakdown for you, but feel free to ask any questions:

All tracked/mixed/”mastered” in my little home studio.

Guitars: Schecter Loomis with the stock EMG’s tuned up to C standard. 5150 with Marshall cab mic’d with 2 SM57’s on a Celestion V30. Green channel boosted with a touch of TS.

Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 114CE acoustic guitar I bought this month, which is beautiful sounding in the room but always difficult to translate that to “tape”, especially in a “dead” space. A single SM81 was imported to mic it, around the 14th fret.

Bass: Egans (now mine :D) Lakland with Ampeg SVX for cleans, and a hint of 5150 for some nastiness. Heavily compressed and slightly decapitated.

Drums: A long time was spent listening to each hit through the record, they were programmed in Cubase and mixed with Stevens drums which were slightly augmented with some other samples of mine.

Hope you enjoy, it was a fun project :p As always, your comments are really appreciated as there is always room for improvement. I’d be quite interested to hear this mix with a touch of Nebula saturation on it actually, if anybody has access to Alex’s library etc. I have nebula 2 pro, but I haven’t quite been sold on it thanks to its cranky workflow and annoying installation procedures.

EDIT:

Here all all the DI's and MIDI's for you to play with guys:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1206505/MMG Mix Pack.rar

Merry xmas,

~Kev

sounds great man, catches the original vibel!
but please silence those guitars at the very end, guess you missed that out after reamping

I personnally find the guitars a bit too powerful, maybe too much lowend ? I don't know, something makes them tiring, I couldn't listen to a whole album like that !

Other than that I think it sounds damn good !