The Recommendation Thread

zeppelin

pǝƃuɐq ǝq ɹo ƃuɐq
Jun 8, 2004
Johannesburg - South Africa
…To recommend albums you think others might like.
It doesn’t have to be new albums, if there’s an old album that doesn’t get mentioned or overseen, tell us about it.
Let’s try and keep to specific albums rather than bands and try to stick some sort of genre to it so we know more or less what it sounds like.
I’ve got a few I’d like to recommend.

1) Therapy – Troublegum (1994): I’ve listened to it a lot in high school and hearing it now reminds me of then, just a good old metal album, nothing too heavy with good clean vocals and catchy melodies.
2) Sentenced – The Cold White Light (2002): This one is lot different from the older Sentenced albums, it’s one of those albums I’ve just liked from the start, good vocals and good riffs, it leans towards power metal and if you’re big on lyrics you might just get a bit depressed at times, I however like this one a lot.
3) Outworld – Outworld (2006): If you don’t have this one yet go grab it! Hearing them the first time was sort of like hearing Priest’s Painkiller for the first time, good old school screaming vocals with progressive guitaring, a nice one to play really loud.

question Zepp- On the Outworld disc... is it Kelly singing? I got their EP and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't think that they would re-track the vocals but you never know. Thanks:wave:

The Cold Light eh, good but nothing special in my mind. For me the first 3 Sentenced CD's are by far their best and most unique. That was back when they were the Northern Killers!! Amok, North From Here and Shadow From The Past are my fav's of Sentenced followed by the Down CD.

Fuck I screwed up and erased my post :(

Anyway, I think this a great thread Zeppie, so I'm going to post some of mine (without much lettering). Unless noted all are available in CD format:

Black Knight - "Master Of Disaster" (1985)
Obstruction - "Új Vér" (2000)
Abattoir - "The Only Safe Place" (1986)
Pariah - "Blaze Of Obscurity" (1989) = OOP
Last Chapter - "The Living Waters" (1998)
Wuthering Heights - "Far From The Madding Crowd" (2004)
Baron Rojo - "Volumen Brutal" (1982)
Sortilege - "Metamorphose" (1984) = OOP
Satanic Rites - "Which Way The Wind Blows" (1985) = OOP

The Cold Light eh, good but nothing special in my mind. For me the first 3 Sentenced CD's are by far their best and most unique. That was back when they were the Northern Killers!! Amok, North From Here and Shadow From The Past are my fav's of Sentenced followed by the Down CD.

Amok is my favorite sentenced.Cold light comes next.
Everyone should check theyr new dvd buried alive. It´s a killer.:kickass:

Amok is my favorite sentenced.Cold light comes next.
Everyone should check theyr new dvd buried alive. It´s a killer.:kickass:

I'm still mourning after "The Funeral Album", not much a fan of DVD but I'll look upon it if you say so.

"Cold White Light" is my favorite one, I like from "Down" up and I consider them a great band that evolved very nice and sadly decided not to continue.

I've been into Sentenced since 1995 and Amok. IMO, the magnum opus is 1998's "Frozen" which is high on melody. Great record.

The Funeral Album didn't do much for me...I think they made a wise decision by splitting up when they did. They'd already been regurgitating the same ideas for some time by that point.

Fuck I screwed up and erased my post :(

Anyway, I think this a great thread Zeppie, so I'm going to post some of mine (without much lettering). Unless noted all are available in CD format:

Black Knight - "Master Of Disaster" (1985)
Obstruction - "Új Vér" (2000)
Abattoir - "The Only Safe Place" (1986)
Pariah - "Blaze Of Obscurity" (1989) = OOP
Last Chapter - "The Living Waters" (1998)
Wuthering Heights - "Far From The Madding Crowd" (2004)
Baron Rojo - "Volumen Brutal" (1982)
Sortilege - "Metamorphose" (1984) = OOP
Satanic Rites - "Which Way The Wind Blows" (1985) = OOP

Thanks Wyv, I'll make an effort to check some of these out.

Cold White Light was their first album I baught, after that I baught North from Here and Crimson, they're both great but I like the first one the most.

More to go:

Steel Prophet - "Into The Void (hallucinogenic conception)" (1997)
DC Cooper - "DC Cooper" (1999)
Exorcist - "Nightmare Theatre" (1985) = very difficult to get
Wolf - "Evil Star" (2004)
Sabaton - "Primo Victoria" (2005)
Pharaoh - "The Longest Night" (2006)

NP: Acid - "Let Me Die"

DC Copper solo album, sounds interesting, never heard that...Just heard some samples of a CD he's making with an Italian band Steel Seal
http://www.undergroundsymphony.com/mp3/steel_seal.mp3

Nothing too special, he could do with a much better band, like a new Dreamscape disk, a band I would recommand.

other ones ;
Sun Caged - Sun Caged (Dutch band with master guitar player Coenen)
Culprit - Guilty as Charger (still too little people know this 80's classic)
pimp pimp pimp Wind Wraith - Minions of Metal (2006 record, mix in between Jag Panzer , early Manowar and some Maiden here and there) pimp pimp pimp
monster-dance.gif

Lastly some pimping for a Belgian band; Karma Depth.
Saw these guys live a little while ago and they suprised me alot.
They released one album "Resilience" in 2005 , very good album
I think. Progressive Metal with here and there some Dream Theater influences. They are working on a new album now, you can check
their new myspace for some samples (especially the new demo song is
interesting). Add them if you like it !!
http://www.myspace.com/karmadepth

More to go:

Steel Prophet - "Into The Void (hallucinogenic conception)" (1997)
DC Cooper - "DC Cooper" (1999)
Wolf - "Evil Star" (2004)

Excellent call Wyv!

For myself:
Queensryche - EP (Every metal fan on this forum should own a copy of this brilliant debut)
Betrayer - Shadowed Force (A brilliant local band - Old school metal - Maiden meets Megadeth meets Power Metal with brilliant vocals!)
Siam - Prayer (Brilliant album with Tony Mills)
KISS - Alive 1 (Classic.... need I say more?)
Cacophony - S/T (If you like classical music and/or yngwie type stuff, this is a must!)
Fozzy - Happenstance (Amazing Old School metal album, and it includes some GREAT covers of Accept, Maiden, Priest, Mob Rules by Sabbath, etc.!)

Culprit - Guilty as Charger (still too little people know this 80's classic)

:headbang: :headbang: Excellent call carnut! Love that album, 'Guilty As Charged', 'Tears Of Repentance' and 'Ambush' are instant classics.

Let's also recommend:

Hawk - "Hawk" (1985)
Abandoned - "Thrash Notes" (2006)
MD.45 - "The Craving" (1996)
Meliah Rage - "Barely Human" (2004)
Power Symphony - "Lightbringer" (2000)
Roland Grapow - "Kaleidoscope" (1999)
Superchrist - "South Of Hell" (2004)
Warhead - "Warhead" (1995)

DC Copper solo album, sounds interesting, never heard that...Just heard some samples of a CD he's making with an Italian band Steel Seal

I also recommend his solo. I got it dirt cheap online -- Laser's Edge I think. Prolly wouldn't help you out much.

His stuff with Silent Force is pretty good too. The new one is pretty good so far. I still have to check him out with Royal Hunt.

Just to tack on one recommendation -- Malpractice: Deviation form the Flow (2005). I got this from a friend about a week ago and cannot stop playing it. It's proggy metal with harmonized guitars and vocals. Good stuff.

Oh, and one more. Conception: Flow. :kickass:

DC Cooper's solo album is really good indeed, a hardrocking metal album kinda in the vein of the Allen/Lande project and of course with great vocals. The band consists of Pink Cream 69 and Vanden Plas guys with Conception/Ark's Tore Ostby on guitar. For those wanting to check out DC with Royal Hunt, there's an awesome live concert in YouTube. I posted the links on the sticky YouTube thread, the show's available on cd (just called 1996) and finally gets a dvd release later this year. Check it out.

DC Cooper's solo album is really good indeed, a hardrocking metal album kinda in the vein of the Allen/Lande project and of course with great vocals. The band consists of Pink Cream 69 and Vanden Plas guys with Conception/Ark's Tore Ostby on guitar.

DC's Solo album sounds like the long lost PC69 album. Alfred Koffler on guitar and DC's vocals sound remarkably similar to David Readman.

DC's Solo album sounds like the long lost PC69 album. Alfred Koffler on guitar and DC's vocals sound remarkably similar to David Readman.

You think so? I like Cooper way over Readman and couldn't find comparison between the two
c010.gif

NP: Time's Forgotten - 'The Spectrum Of Light'

They sound similar. You can tell them appart, but with DC's solo stuff, he sounds quite similar to Readman on the later PC69 stuff.

Readman is unquestionably the better singer though. DC isn't bad by any means, but Readman is phenominal, both in range and stamina (especially live).