Megadeth - Endgame
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Lamb of God - Wrath
Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
Wino - Puntuated Equilibrium
Kreator - Hordes of Chaos
Shrine Builder - ST

There are a few I haven't gotten yet.
Slayer, Overkill, Wolf & a few more I'm sure.

Finally, I got a band off the ground this year (White Lighter). We play our first show on January 2 in Oakland. Carnut, you'd like us - Best described as Psychedelic Thin Lizzy mashed together with Sabbath. I'm putting together a Facebook page with some songs on it...it'll be up before too long. Incidentally, Carnut, have you heard DUST? I'm sure you have. A big discovery for me this year. Awesome, awesome 70s proto-metal band. Absolutely top notch.

Nice !! Looking forward to hearing your music !!!
Yes, I do know Dust, got 2 albums of them ("Dust" and "Hard Attack"). Good stuff indeed !!

Looking forward to hearing your music as well ElectricWiz.

Overall, a great year for new releases. For me, 2009 featured the greatest number of phenomenal releases of any year this decade.

1) Porcupine Tree - the Incident (arguably my fav record released this decade)

2) Redemption - Snowfall
3) Dream Theater - (few like this record; I consider it a masterpiece)
4) Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest (never really liked death metal until this)
5) Madder Mortem - Five Ways
6) Slough Feg - Ape Uprising (the best band that no one's heard of)
7) Immortal - All Shall Fall
8) My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
9) Obscura - Cosmogenesis (unbelievable prog)
10) God Dethroned - Passiondale
10) Riverside - Anno Domini
11) Sonata Arctica - Greys

Other GREAT releases:
Black Crowes
Drudkh
Paradise Lost
Amorphis
Swallow the Sun
ALice in Chains
Mastadon
Augury
Heaven & Hell
Neuraxis
Govt Mule
Slayer
Novembers Doom
Epica
Joe Bonamassa
Queensryche
Caspian
Pearl Jam
Russian Circles
Lacuna Coil
Behemoth
Vader
Mono
Eluviete
Suidakra
Grand Magus
Crescent Shield
Guilt Machines
Depeche Mode
Megadeth (good, not great)

The following are all solid, enjoyable records but are slight disappointments:

Candlemass
The Answer
UFO
Kiss

Overall, a great year for new releases. For me, 2009 featured the greatest number of phenomenal releases of any year this decade.

Wow thats some great list. Most of the albums on your list were runners up on mine.

Maybe you could check out Centaurus A. You might like them. A lot! :)

In no particular order.
Slayer-World Painted Blood
Destroyer 666-Defiance(best deaththrash cd i have listened to in a minute)
Nile-Those Whom The Gods Detest
Megadeth-Endgame(really surprised by how good this was)
Behemoth-Evangelion
Gates Of Slumber-Hymns Of Blood and Thunder
Coffinworm-2009 Demo
Deadmen-2009 Demo (killer cd that features members of Coffinworm, Demiricous and The Dream Is Dead)
Suffocation-Blood Oath
Overkill-Ironbound
Immortal-All Shall Fall
Gorgoroth-Quantos... new 2009 cd with Pest back as their vocalist.
Job For A Cowboy-Ruination (deathcore is nil on this cd, this band is maturing into a solid USDM band)
The Black Dahlia Murder-Deflorate
Martyrdod-Sekt badass Swedish grind/black punk band think discharge meets bathory.

Soundmaster wrote: ) Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest (never really liked death metal until this)

Seriously there best cd since Black Seeds Of Vengeance. A band imho that gives Morbid Angel and Suffocation a run for there money in USDM.

Soundmaster wrote: 6) Slough Feg - Ape Uprising (the best band that no one's heard of)
Actually i have seen them live here in Indy with Bible Of The Devil.

Slough Feg are from San Francisco, which you may know. When I worked at SF State I ran into Mike a lot. He's actually studying to get a Philosophy degree, and was even teaching there some. He's a very cool guy. Close proximity aside, I think they are an excellent, excellent band. If you haven't checked into them yet, you'd also like Hammers of Misfortune. Mike sings lead on the first few albums. They started as an offshoot of Slough Feg, as kind of a pet project for their other guitarist at the time, John Cobbett. They have a concept record called The Bastard which is awesome. That and The August Engine are my favorite of theirs. But broadly speaking, they are just another version of Slough Feg (oversimplifying there, but with Mike singing and playing guitar, they are very similar.)I know you buy a lot of stuff Soundmaster, so you probably have these, but if not, get Atavism and The Traveller (and everything else too) from Slough Feg. Killer stuff, true old-school, with a brain!

They play here semi-regularly, and I try to catch them every time I can. Sad to say, but they don't have a huge following in SF, so it's usually just me and 30 to 50 other people, depending on the show. The first time I saw them they were with Brocus Helm, another Bay Area old-school band (formed during the old-school days) that you might like.

Soundmaster wrote: 6) Slough Feg - Ape Uprising (the best band that no one's heard of)

Actually I think is quite known by metalheads (specially in forums) , but I never was able to got into them. I still have lihe three songs in my HD.

I forgot about the Riverside and Slough Feg cds. They probably should have cracked my top 10. I"ll have to go rework my list.

I was kinda disappointed with 2009. A fair number of big releases. Some were really good, but nothing that really resonated with me.

If you haven't checked into them yet, you'd also like Hammers of Misfortune...They have a concept record called The Bastard which is awesome. That and The August Engine are my favorite of theirs....I know you buy a lot of stuff Soundmaster, so you probably have these, but if not, get Atavism and The Traveller (and everything else too) from Slough Feg. Killer stuff, true old-school, with a brain!

Wyz, You've forgotten, but you turned me on to BOTH of these bands about two years ago! EXCELLENT, excellent stuff. I just love Slough feg's mastery of melody.....it's as if they combined the best components of Thin Lizzy, classic mid 80s Maiden, and a hint of 70s Priest....all without a trace of cheese!

Wyz, You've forgotten, but you turned me on to BOTH of these bands about two years ago! EXCELLENT, excellent stuff. I just love Slough feg's mastery of melody.....it's as if they combined the best components of Thin Lizzy, classic mid 80s Maiden, and a hint of 70s Priest....all without a trace of cheese!

haha. How time flies. Now that you mention it....I do remember.

Redemption - Snowfall on judgement day
Queensryche - American soldier
Bruce Springsteen - Working on a dream
Chickenfoot - Chickenfoot
Megadeth - Endgame
Shadow gallery - Digital ghost
Dream theater - Black clouds
Mantic ritual - Executioner
Slayer - World painted blood
Lazarus ad - The onslaught
Kiss - Sonic boom
Halford - Winter songs
Heaven and hell - The devil you know
Warbringer - Waking into nightmares
Municipal waste - Massive aggressive
Pearl Jam - Backspacer
Depeche mode - Sound of the universe
Simple minds - Grafitti soul
Hirax - El rostro de la muerte

I dunno. If he nicked all the other albums on his list, it could be his best downloaded albums in 2009 :heh:

Oh please don't remind me. I have already like 5 albums I'm not gonna put in the main list because I have been unable to purchase the CD :erk:. I guess I'll end making a top list of downloaded which didn't make on time albums :saint: