Best of 2009 thread

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
http://rockandrollazine.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-best-of-2009-list.html

My Best Of 2009 List!

This was hard to draft because four very good albums were edged out when it came down to trimming down the list to just 10 albums. Here's my top 10 albums of 2009 in no particular order along with my commentary after each record. In addition I have added the honorable mention list with live albums, compilations, DVD's and the albums that were edged out.

W.A.S.P. - Babylon

Commenatry: Blackie Lawless has been on a roll as of late first with Dominator and now with Babylon; both of which bring back the classic W.A.S.P. sound. Babylon is rock solid even though it features two covers. No matter, the original material is worth it's weight in gold.

The Last Vegas – Whatever Gets You Off

Commentary: Right out of the blocks these guys delivered one of the most impressive debut albums that I have heard in a longtime. Each track is solid making this one incredible album.

UFO –The Visitor

Commentary: Since recruiting Vinnie Moore, Phil Mogg and Co. haven’t looked back. The Visitor is their best effort in years and certainly their best to date with Vinnie Moore.

Chickenfoot –s/t

Commentary: Most super groups these days don’t measure up, this one does. Chickenfoot brought in two exiled Van Halen members, a primarily funk rock drummer and a solo shredder, the end result is magical.

Angus Khan – Black Leather Rebel Soul

Commentary: This biker rock band called Angus Khan might have gone virtually unnoticed in the United States but these guys have a loyal following in So Cal. They might be a cult band but if there’s a GOD these guys will get their due and blow the lid off a venue near you in the future.

Foreigner – Can’t Slow Down

Commentary: What Mick Jones has done with Foreigner is nothing short of miraculous. Who would have believed that Jones’ current effort at resuscitating Foreigner would have worked as exceedingly well as this? I sure didn't think so.

Nashville Pussy-From Hell To Texas

Commentary: If you like straight up, no frills, no gimmicky rock 'n' roll music then you picked up Nashville Pussy's most consistent effort to date. They won over fans this fall while opening for Motorhead.

Megadeth – Endgame

Commentary: Dave Mustaine began to right the Megadeth ship on The System Has Failed and had a slight misstep on United Abominations but with Endgame he’s put together an album that I feel rivals Rust In Peace, Countdown To Extinction and The System Has Failed. That to me is a very good thing.

Duff McKagan’s Loaded – Sick

Commentary: No Guns n' Roses reunion? No new Velvet Revolver album? No problem! Duff McKagan wasn’t laying low doing nothing, he issued a solo effort with his band Loaded. It’s punk, it’s rock, it's got attitude, but more importantly it's outstanding.

Slayer – World Painted Blood

Commentary: This album is bloody, violent, horrifying fucking mess…if it were any other band you’d think it was an awful album. It’s Slayer and it’s a return to form.

Honerable mention the albums edged out:

Doro - Fear No Evil

Commentary:The undisputed QUEEN of metal issues another consistent record that will surely wind up in the top five of her career.

Jorn – Spirit In Black

Commentary: Can't Jorn do any wrong? This guy can release an album that's mediocre and it's still better than the average band's best. If you're a fan of classic rock and metal bands like Whitesnake, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Dio and Heaven & Hell then you'll absolutely love Jorn Lande's Spirit In Black.

Voodoo Circle – s/t

Commentary: If you’re a fan of Yngwie Malmsteen’s Rising Force then you’ll fall in love with the neo-classical/ power metal album.

Heaven & Hell – The Devil You Know

Commentary: Ronnie James Dio and Tony Iommi showcase their writing skills haven't wavered one bit despite the hiatus.

Honerable mention compilations, live albums and DVD's:

Iron Maiden- Flight 666 (CD & DVD)

Thin Lizzy-Still Dangerous (CD)

Thin Lizzy - Are You Ready? (DVD)

The Donnas - Greatest Hits Vol.16 (CD)

AC/DC - Backtracks (CD & DVD)

Billy Idol - In Super Overdrive Live (DVD)

ZZ Top- Double Down Live (DVD)

Buckcherry - Live & Loud (CD)

Age Of Evil - Get Dead (E.P.)

White Wizzard - High Speed GTO (E.P.)

Not a particular "awesome" year for me. Could be I have been quit busy this year and haven't had very much time to actually go out and "search" for good stuff. So I probably missed out on some good albums this year...

1: Subsignal - Beautiful & Monstrous
2: Queensryche - American Soldier
3: Guilt Machine - On this perfect Day
4: Crucified Barbara - Till Death do us party
5: Freak Kitchen - Land of the Freaks
6: Last empire - Heir to the Throne
7: Overkill - Ironbound
8: The Sean Baker Orchestra - Baker Dozen
9: Raven - Walk Through Fire
10: Isole - Silent Ruins

That's a great list Sixxswine, but I must admit I'm not familiar with all the albums on the list. I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for them. In fact, I picked up Foreigner's latest because it had been recommended by you (I think it was you) in a previous post.

Memorial Roots by Brainstorm

The Evocation I by Eluveitie

Design Your Universe by Epica

To The Grave by Iron Fire

Endgame by Megadeth

Dark Matter Dimensions by Scar Symmetry

Days Of Grays by Sonata Arctica

World Painted Blood by Slayer

http://rockandrollazine.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-best-of-2009-list.html

W.A.S.P. - Babylon

Commenatry: Blackie Lawless has been on a roll as of late first with Dominator and now with Babylon; both of which bring back the classic W.A.S.P. sound. Babylon is rock solid even though it features two covers. No matter, the original material is worth it's weight in gold.

UFO –The Visitor

Commentary: Since recruiting Vinnie Moore, Phil Mogg and Co. haven’t looked back. The Visitor is their best effort in years and certainly their best to date with Vinnie Moore.

Megadeth – Endgame

Commentary: Dave Mustaine began to right the Megadeth ship on The System Has Failed and had a slight misstep on United Abominations but with Endgame he’s put together an album that I feel rivals Rust In Peace, Countdown To Extinction and The System Has Failed. That to me is a very good thing.

Doro - Fear No Evil

Commentary:The undisputed QUEEN of metal issues another consistent record that will surely wind up in the top five of her career.

Jorn – Spirit In Black

Commentary: Can't Jorn do any wrong? This guy can release an album that's mediocre and it's still better than the average band's best. If you're a fan of classic rock and metal bands like Whitesnake, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Dio and Heaven & Hell then you'll absolutely love Jorn Lande's Spirit In Black.

Voodoo Circle – s/t

Commentary: If you’re a fan of Yngwie Malmsteen’s Rising Force then you’ll fall in love with the neo-classical/ power metal album.

Heaven & Hell – The Devil You Know

Commentary: Ronnie James Dio and Tony Iommi showcase their writing skills haven't wavered one bit despite the hiatus.

White Wizzard - High Speed GTO (E.P.)

About these ones, I like the W.A.S.P., but think it pales when compared to the excellent Dominator. The UFO pretty much bores me. I don't really enjoy the Moore era, my fave being You Are Here. They lost pretty much all the metal they once had in their sound to replace it by some kind of bluesy style that doesn't appeal to me a lot. The Megadeth dispappointed me big time. Where are the melodies and the catchiness? Not a great album for me at all. I much preferred the previous one. The Doro was hit or miss. The Heaven & Hell is excellent and one of my faves of 2009 as is the Jorn. The Voodoo Circle is much better than anything Yngwie released in the last 20 years IMO and is a damn fine album. The White Wizzard is cool stuff indeed.

This is gonna be impossible to whittle it down, 09 was a great year for the metal, here goes nothing:
1. Megadeth - Endgame
2. H&H - The Devil You Know (I've rediscovered this gem. Pure awesome.)
3. Queensryche - American Soldier (For my money, they best they've done in 15 years)
4. Voodoo Circle (I thought this was 08?) Anyways, since Sixx added it, I will too. Basically if Yngwie played on a PC69 record. Just awesome.
5. Dale - Screaming for Silence (basically Yngwie with Tony Mills.)
6. Machines of Grace - S/T (Cool modern hard rock / metal disc from Zak Stevens and Jeff Plate, plus the re-records of Wicked Witch are great!)
7. Primal Fear - 16.6 (After seeing them live, they've REALLY grown on me).
8. Bloodbound - Tabula Rasa (Great new album from Urban Breed)
9. Future's End - Memoirs of a Broken Man (Excellent heavy-prog metal and probably the biggest surprise at PPUSA this year)
10. Nightmare - Insurrection (This would be #1 if 1/2 the songs didn't have growling. The non-growling songs are metal MONSTERS! [Edit: In hindsight, this should easily be #4 or 5. Only growling on 2 songs really.)

* Others: Lord - Set in Stone (Not quite as good as Ascendence, but not far off), Edgend, White Wizzard - High Speed GTO, Solna, Alestorm (Good but I think the gimmick is starting to wear thin), Kiss & Ace (both Good returns to form but nothing astounding), Winterstrain (could be in the top 10 but I ran out of room.).

Biggest disappointmentd: Brainstorm. Songs weren't too bad but the production is crap. C'mon guys, your last two records sounded incredible and you're on a big label!
AIC - This is just like their 1995 S/T release. Boring grunge songs that go nowhere. And just like their 1995 release, the only good song is on radio! [well, I guess that's not true as Grind was a half decent song]

DVDs: Pink Cream 69 - Past and Present; Firewind - Live Premoniition; Edguy - Fucking With Fire.

Anticipations for 2010: Fozzy(only been waiting for 5 years), Skid Row (supposedly), Armored Saint, Powerglove, Krucible (hurry up guys!), Dream Evil, State of Rock (Melodic Hard Rock with Tony Mills, initial samples SLAY!),

Top 10 Albums

01) Subsignal - Beautiful and Monstrous
02) Centaurus A - Side Effects Expected
03) Immortal - All Shall Fall
04) Slayer - World Painted Blood
05) Gorod - Process of a New Decline
06) Cage - Science of Annihilation
07) God Dethroned - Passiondale
08) Amorphis - Skyforger
09) Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts
10) Behemoth - Evangelion

Top 3 DVD's

1) Journey - Live in Mannilla
2) Kansas - There is no Place Like Home
3) Wacken - Full Metal Village

Best Concert

I don't know. Hardly been to a good gig this year

2009 in short

The main thing of the year was my health acting up. Thats why I have seen only a few concerts and have not been to any festivals at all. I was very surprised the the Subsignal Album. I love it! Play it still every day.

Centaurus A came out of nowhere! Great technical death-metal. And I was happy to see a return to form for two older bands. Slayer and Immortal. Immortal blew me away at Graspop last year. Their live show was awesome! And then their album was just great as well.

Now I can't wait to see Slayer live. Their album is great and all those who predicted a turd were totally wrong as far as I am concerned. World Painted Blood is a real grower of an album. The more you play it the better you like it.

All in all however musically I though that 2009 was a bit on the lame side. I hope 2010 will be better musically and personally.

That's a great list Sixxswine, but I must admit I'm not familiar with all the albums on the list. I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for them. In fact, I picked up Foreigner's latest because it had been recommended by you (I think it was you) in a previous post.

Yeah I started a thread about Can't Slow Down, it's a fine album. I'm still waiting for them to play near me so I can catch them.

Damn. The last one I bought was One For All and it was so so. Prior to that was The Architect of Fear.

Oh well. Maybe eBay or CD Japan.

Japan is the only place where it's available I think. Stupid as it has some of the best material Raven did in 2 decades. There are a few lesser songs, but overall a very good album in the typical Raven style !:headbang:

did you enjoy it?

most of my 2009 top 10 isn't metal but i'll list it anyways.

1 black crowes- before the frost
2 cheap trick- the latest
3 queensryche- american soldier
4 heaven and hell- the devil you know
5 chickenfoot- self titled
6 john fogerty- blue ridge rangers rides again
7 megadeth-endgame
8 ace frehley- anomoly
9 AIC- black gives way to blue
10 stryper- murder by pride

honorable mentions:
living colour- chair in the doorway
joe perry- have guitar will travel

In the running for my top 10 0f the year...

Ashent - Deconstructive
Astra - From Within
Athem - The Extended Mind
DGM - FrAme
Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Equal Vector - Transparency
Floodline - Beneath the Waves
Forgotten Suns - Innergy
IcyCore - evol
Last Warning - Throughout Time
Masterstroke - As Days Grow Darker
Mind Key - Pulse for a Graveheart
Mind Odyssey - Time to Change It
Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day
Silent Memorial- Retrospective
Status Minor - Dialog
Tribe - Pray for Calm...Need the Chaos
Veloce Hystoria - Shining & Majestic

1. AIC - Black Gives Way To Blue
2. Megadeth - Endgame
3. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
4. H&H - Devil You Know
5. Redemption - Snowfall...
6. Chickenfoot
7. Dream Theater - Black Clouds...
8. Fairyland - Score to a New Beginning
9. Queensryche - Americal Soldier
10. Riverside - Anno Domini

1) Lynch Mob - Smoke and Mirrors (This will make my top 5 of this decade)
2) Mastodon - Crack the Skye
3) Megadeth - Endgame
4) Loudness - The Everlasting
5) Redemption - Snowfall on Judgment Day
6) Slayer - World Painted Blood
7) Queensryche - American Soldier
8) Sacrifice - The Ones I Condemn
9) Kiss - Sonic Boom
10) Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know

#1 Mastodon - Crack The Skye (far and away #1)
#2 Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know (they still got it, hang in there RJD)
#3 Slayer - World Painted Blood (big surprise, I thought. Didn't much like Christ Illusion)
Everything else (in no order)
Lamb of God - Wrath
The Beatles - remasters (all)(a remaster job that really shows. Brought them to life, and started my second major Beatles phase)
Goatwhore - Carving out the Eyes of God
Leonard Cohen - Live in London
Uriah Heep - Celebration

Kind of a slow year on the whole.

Disappointed by these:
Ace Frehley
Candlemass (just expected more, good, but not King of the Grey Islands good. Kinda dies in the second half)
Flight 666 - Performances are top notch, pure awesome, but the documentary barely scratched the surface.
Megadeth (didn't grab me like UA did, which surprised me.)

Best shows:
Mastodon (with Deatklok!), Leonard Cohen (amazing), Lamb of God, Ian Anderson, Heaven and Hell

Looking forward for 2010:
Nevermore, Tryptichon (the follow up to Celtic Frost's Monotheist), American Carnage tour

....I'm sure I forgot stuff on each list.

Again, kind of a slow year, but Crack the Skye is one for the all-time greats list in my book. That, the Beatles remasters, and the Leonard Cohen show are definitely my top three music things/events.

Finally, I got a band off the ground this year (White Lighter). We play our first show on January 2 in Oakland. Carnut, you'd like us - Best described as Psychedelic Thin Lizzy mashed together with Sabbath. I'm putting together a Facebook page with some songs on it...it'll be up before too long. Incidentally, Carnut, have you heard DUST? I'm sure you have. A big discovery for me this year. Awesome, awesome 70s proto-metal band. Absolutely top notch.

Finally, I got a band off the ground this year (White Lighter). We play our first show on January 2 in Oakland. Carnut, you'd like us - Best described as Psychedelic Thin Lizzy mashed together with Sabbath. I'm putting together a Facebook page with some songs on it...it'll be up before too long. Incidentally, Carnut, have you heard DUST? I'm sure you have. A big discovery for me this year. Awesome, awesome 70s proto-metal band. Absolutely top notch.

Nice !! Looking forward to hearing your music !!!
Yes, I do know Dust, got 2 albums of them ("Dust" and "Hard Attack"). Good stuff indeed !!

Oh dear, looking at Wyvern's list I see I forgot Wolf (and Cage) ....