Megadeth thread

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
I was loading Megadeth tracks on my iPod last night and I was listening to Peace Sells….
Some stuff has stood the test of time other stuff doesn’t have the same effect as it did when I was a youth. For example I still love “Wake Up Dead” but I have found “Peace Sells” to sound dated and doesn’t have the same punch as it did back in the day.

In any event here’s the question that I have for you all. How long do you think it will take for Dave Mustaine to hop on the performing an entire album live bandwagon? And what should Megadeth perform?

I’d love to hear them do Rust In Peace personally…

I know I'll be in the minority here, but United Abominations. I've heard most songs live from every other album and few from their new one. Plus, I thought it was a fantastic album.

In terms of classic albums: Peace Sells or Countdown.

System Has Failed would be cool too, but I've already heard basically every song live from that one.

I was quite pleased with the U.A. and System Has Failed but I'd like to see MD.45 get some more recognition.I have'nt listened to every track on the cd but if most are anywhere on par with"No Pain" or "Roadman" then they should ocassionally perform this stuff live.

Unlike you Ruben I still love the old material and doesn't sound dated to me, for sure I enjoy it more than his late stuff (even if I do have UA).

If he wants to play a whole album like the new trend, I'll like RIP or CTE but without Ellefson, Menza and Friedman it won't be the same, so if he's gonna do it I prefer he takes on SFSGSW or PSBWB (I love the debut too but again he won't be able to play 'These Boots' because of the legal thing).

I only have Rust, Countdown and The System has Failed. They are the only thrash band I really like. Dave has the riffs and groove, I like the way he writes. My more commercial than radical taste prefers Countdown but Rust is one awesome piece of deadly guitar work. Friedman was genious, I did see them with Priest on the Rust/Painkiller tour, long time ago but had a good time, sound was pretty lively... oh well. Im not qualified to choose but either Rust or Countdown would do it for me, still... without Friedman it just wouldnt be the same.

I like "the System" alright and play it from time to time. but... well hes not young anymore and probably wrote his best stuff awhile back. Was also sad to see his voice age off its edgyness abit too

I liked UA a lot too pounding...
I would accept that as a, "whole album," setlist. I saw them twice on that tour, and I'll definitely see them again next chance I get.

Other choices include Rust in Peace and Youthanasia, which I think is kind of overlooked. It's good from start to finish.

Also, I agree about Peace Sells (the song) being vaguely dated these days, but it plays well live, and doesn't seem dated at all in that setting. That whole record, despite being very good, is indeed a bit dated somehow.

By the way, based on how great UA was, I'm really looking forward to the new one. That One Night...Live in Buenos Aires is a good live fix for those who haven't heard it. I love the way Dave sings the higher stuff these days. Don't know what it is, but he's doing something different - Reckoning Day on that album is a good example of what I mean. He's almost at falsetto, but in a really cool sounding way.

i'd love to hear all of youthanasia live. its my favorite megadeth album and seems to get overlooked a lot. the band basically plays 2 tunes from it and thats it. RIP has had more than half of it played live within the last 4 years i think.

Wow, I'd probably go with Peace Sells but any of the first four would be something wicked. Anything after that and I wouldnt be so keen. In reality land I imagine you would be far more likely to hear something more recent from start to finish. Still, I don't think Dave would do it, he knows people want to hear old and new songs.

Unlike you Ruben I still love the old material and doesn't sound dated to me, for sure I enjoy it more than his late stuff (even if I do have UA).

If he wants to play a whole album like the new trend, I'll like RIP or CTE but without Ellefson, Menza and Friedman it won't be the same, so if he's gonna do it I prefer he takes on SFSGSW or PSBWB (I love the debut too but again he won't be able to play 'These Boots' because of the legal thing).

They could play These Boots all they want with no legal issues, it's only if he recorded it and tried to make money off it where there would be problems...

Just as any bar band anywhere in the world murders AC/DC songs on a daily basis...:rolleyes:

They could play These Boots all they want with no legal issues, it's only if he recorded it and tried to make money off it where there would be problems...

Just as any bar band anywhere in the world murders AC/DC songs on a daily basis...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification, although I think the latter comparison it's a bit harsh. Megadeth did a good metal rendition of the original tune, unlike those bar bands :lol:

I saw their new DVD Blood in the Water on that HD Channel months back - he threw in a couple new ones, some more obscure tracks, and the production / performance = flawless. Absolutely AWESOME concert. Their new guitarist is fantastic. I wonder how it'll work for the new album because Glen was a great songwriter.

The "play a whole album live" bandwagon is getting lame. He needs to just mix up the setlist a bit more every night and pull a few more obscure songs from the past in there each time.

If you're going to do the "perform an album live" thing you should go with an album from the past that has stood the test of time. I would go with the obvious choice - Rust In Peace.
However, since many of that album's songs are played regularly by Megadeth I don't see where the appeal would be.
And by the way, Megadeth doesn't sound dated to me at all

Ah no ya got what I was saying wrong man. I wasn't saying they killed the song, it was just an analogy is all...

I think the first two records are good but haven't aged as well (in my opinion) as let's say So Far, So Good... and Rust In Peace. Maybe over exposure makes me cringe when I hear Peace Sells... Wake Up Dead like I said I can listen to all day, same with Devil's Island and The Conjuring....

I think the first two records are good but haven't aged as well (in my opinion)

I have the aging problem with movies or TV series but not with music, I mean I can hear 1971 stuff and like it as much as 2009 stuff. But I understand your point, it works different on different people.

And the overesposure can kill a song or album for anyone, that's why I avoid radio, video or any form of massive exposure to music. I play my CDs at my own pace, sometimes I feel the urge to revisit an old album (even if I know it by heart) and sometimes I like to play more new stuff and get better acquainted with it.

And the overesposure can kill a song or album for anyone, that's why I avoid radio, video or any form of massive exposure to music. I play my CDs at my own pace, sometimes I feel the urge to revisit an old album (even if I know it by heart) and sometimes I like to play more new stuff and get better acquainted with it.

That's also how I do it. Why would I listen to radio? There is nothing to hear.