Megadeth thread

Actually I was tuned into our local "edge" radio station the other day and heard some kick ass new songs. Dont know who it was but there was 3 or 4 that I was really diggin. Big fat riffs, great groove, almost progressive in areas, smoking guitar solos, with someone that was actually singing into the microphone.... cant go wrong there.

I do agree, I hate over played songs, radio has runined many of my favorites over the decades.

I´d choose "Rust in peace". No question. A masterpiece.

IMO, Megadeth albums stand the test of time but it´s true that I have changed my mind from some Megadeth albums. Nowadays I´m not too much in "Countdown" as used to be. However, in the beginning "Youthanasia" didn´t like me at all but nowadays it has 2 o 3 amazing songs.

From the first records, lately I´m most on "Killing is my business" and less in "So far so good so what"

Man..I would just love to hear "Rust in Peace" in it's entirety. I think that album they found the perfect balance between being melodic and thrash. Plus that lineup with Marty Friedman was just amazing.

+1 :headbang:

I'm digging it so far. Really cool to see Sneap in the studio. The guy's a fucking brilliant engineer.

From that snippet it does sound promising.

Andy Sneap has done some great things in the studio for other bands and how I would love to see that gig he was gonna play with his own, Sabbat, they are/were so freaking awesome!:kickass:

ENDGAME - NAME OF 12TH MEGADETH RELEASE DUE OUT IN SEPTEMBER.

ALBUM PRODUCED BY ANDY SNEAP AND DAVE MUSTAINE

REVEAL SEVERAL TRACK TITLES

New York, NY: Heavy metal institution Megadeth have announced ENDGAME as the title of their twelfth studio album. The album is expected to be released in September through Roadrunner Records. It was recorded at the band’s self-built brand new studio, Vic’s Garage, located near San Diego and named after the legendary and iconic Vic Rattlehead character.

ENDGAME is being produced by Andy Sneap and Dave Mustaine, who also manned the boards for 2007’s United Abominations. Some track titles include “Headcrusher,” “1,320,’” “How the Story Ends” and “This Day We Fight!”

ENDGAME boasts the technicality, ferocity and snarl that are synonymous with Megadeth and their leader, Dave Mustaine. It’s a violent masterwork that represents Mustaine’s best work in nearly two decades. In a musical world dominated by bands that make generic blanket statements, ENDGAME finds Mustaine, once again, making informed and substantial lyrical declarations about the state of the world we live in.

Mustaine himself commented on ENDGAME, saying, “Thematically, I’ve never been known to be a silent bystander in a world that needs our participation. As more is revealed about our former President’s legacy, a little-known yet staggeringly frightening document, which was signed into law, named ‘ENDGAME,’ has been uncovered. The album ‘ENDGAME’ is the most energetic music offering I have penned in over a decade and is far more believable than knowing someone signed ‘ENDGAME’ -the document- into law. The album is also the perfect ‘ass- kicking’ music to listen to once you are done reading the aforementioned document!”

In short, it’s the Megadeth record fans of classics like So Far…So Good…So What? and Rust in Peace have been chomping at the bit for.

“This new album is my proudest moment since the famous (or infamous) Rust in Peace album,” Mustaine also said. “With this album I am also very excited to be introducing my new lead guitarist Chris Broderick to the world. I have always felt lucky to have had top shredders in that position but after touring with Chris in support of my last album, I couldn’t wait to get into the studio and see what he could do.”

Megadeth’s lineup consists of Mustaine, Broderick, bassist James LoMenzo and drummer Shawn Drover.

Earlier this year, Mustaine was the recipient of the “Golden God Award” at the first ever Golden Gods Awards, presented by Revolver.

In short, it’s the Megadeth record fans of classics like So Far…So Good…So What? and Rust in Peace have been chomping at the bit for.

“This new album is my proudest moment since the famous (or infamous) Rust in Peace album,” Mustaine also said.

Typical pre-album hype machine... Regardless, Megadeth has been solid, so I'm expecting nothing less.

Typical pre-album hype machine... Regardless, Megadeth has been solid, so I'm expecting nothing less.

Agree totally on the first count, when a band had ever said we're gonna release another album to see if we can cash you in for another $16?

On the second count, they haven't been always solid IMO (but they never sold out either), and since UA delivered fine for me I'll give "Endgame" all the chances to be listened properly before purchase. Maybe they do regained the old sound and if so...:headbang:

I think this will be good... I really enjoyed the first half of United abominations despite the fact that many didn't... Sleepwalker in particular was quintessential Megadeth. And Chris Broderick is great IMO...

Are you serious?

Correct me if I'm wrong but Megadeth never descended to the level of Metallica even with "Risk", isn't it? I may not like TWNAH and TSHF but those are never remotely something like "Load", "Reload" and "St. Anger", and I'm wrong again?

I think Megadeth did kind of sell out to be honest... Countdown went for that commercial sound, then they went more and more radio friendly with stuff like Trust... Still love those albums though. Risk is the only one that I never go back to...

I think Megadeth did kind of sell out to be honest... Countdown went for that commercial sound, then they went more and more radio friendly with stuff like Trust... Still love those albums though. Risk is the only one that I never go back to...

Cryptic Writings was definitely a "commercial" album, and the radio played the hell out of it. Risk was Megadeth failing horribly at trying to sound like a progressive rock band.

Well I have to disagree in part. CTE it's a great album and so is "Youthanasia". CW is a mixed bag, has some great songs, average songs and bad songs and yes 'Trust' was maybe aimed to be radio-friendly but still I don't feel Mustaine and company did as bad as Metallica.
To be frank never bothered with "Risk" and as I posted before neither TWNAH (although 'Promises' is one hell of a ballad) or TSHF did anything for me as a whole. UA got a bit better (but the remake of 'A Tout Le Monde' was unnecessary) so I'm gonna give "Endgame" a chance.

I'm semi-excited for the new album which hopefully won't be the last if I'm reading too much into the title. Headcrusher sounded good live but the studio version will be the real moment of truth. I've also the rest of the album is a mish-mash of styles since RIP. So you get the obligatory radio song like Trust/Almost Honest, the ballad, heavy crushing thrasher, etc. Obviously you'd prefer to have all fast songs and United Abominations was a step in the right direction at least.

I always felt that Rust In Peace was a record that aged incredibly well, whereas PSBYB definitely really sounds "you know it's 80s" 80s.
Personally, I don't really care for CTE at all though.
Rust In Peace stands as the best thrash metal album of all time IMHO, nothing before or after it is better.
It has everything I love about a good thrash album, which is technicality, musicality, tight song writing, aggression balanced out with beautiful melodic parts and ultimately a killer vibe.

Megadeth is my favourite band, andI really love the old stuff, not all those united abominations and shit...
And I already saw the most incredible thing Megadeth did live...
About 2 years ago when they came to Israel I went to the concert, totally thrilled, it was so awesome... then they started playing Tornado of Souls, which is one hell of a song... and in the middle of the song, right before the solo, they started playing, out of nowhere, The Mechanix (!!!!!!!!!$%@!), which they haven't played live since the days of chris poland!!! after they finished the Mechanix, they went straight back to the Tornado of Souls solo and rest of song...

Another funny thing about that concert, is that I was 15 at the time, and I asked some guy what would happen if someone from the band threw something at me.. the guy told me I would just get beat up and people would take that away from me (Israeli crowd is pretty rough), but then, and the end of the show, Dave Mustaine threw his armband from the stage, and I caught it!! Other people who were to my left didnt notice, because i caught it mid-air, and they started beating the shit out of each other and looking for it on the floor, as i quickly put it in my pocket!!

That was the greatest night of my life, haha