Can I get a "hell yeah" for.. (PART 2):

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Iron Maiden's current US tour!!!

Anyone going? I will be at the Allstate Arena on Wednesday October 18th.

It has already been revealed that the entire new album will be performed live.
Many are upset by this.
I am indifferent. I love the new album, so it is all good.
At the same time, every time I see Maiden, I look forward to the one or two rarer tracks they bring back into the set.

What I feel you have to respect about what Maiden is doing is actually recording an album full of songs they plan on knowing well enough to pull off live (IE - Not just recording an album that contains 2 or 3 singles to perform live, and the rest just be filler they wrote in the studio with no intention of ever performing).

UP THE IRONS!

Maybe its just me, put I'm getting pretty tired of this "play the whole album in its entirety" live thing. The first couple of bands that did it were cool, but now everyone seems to have jumped on the bandwagon.

I think the exciting part about seeing bands live is not knowing what song they will play next. Having the songs played "in order" takes away that surprise. Also, if you are not a fan of the album they are featuring, but like their other material, you have to sit through a lot just to hear only a few other songs.

Especially with a band like Maiden, who have so many classic songs to choose from. In my opinion, their new album is kind of boring and with out some of the older songs to break up the monotony it don't think it will make that great of a live show.

Hope I didn't spoil ND's plans for "The Paul Haunt" section of their set for the tour!!! :lol:

I think playing a whole cd can be a cool event if it's more of an "event", not necessarily done at every gig on the tour. Plus lets be honest here, some songs just don't translate as well live. Bands like Maiden can most likely pull off just about any of their songs live with no problem, but some bands cant due to the amount of studio production on them. Unless you're Pink Floyd or something, you just can't afford to bring out the full production on tour with you to make it really work.

That said, I loved hearing Green Carnation do "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" live in it's entirety in Toronto. But it's not something that I think they'll do very often so that sort of added to it being special.

I'm more interested to hear when bands does OTHER bands entire albums, ala Dream Theater doing Maiden or Metallica and so on. At least that's something a little less predictable.

Regarding the Dream Theater doing Metallica for example....
To be honest, I am glad I didn't make that gig at the Vic when they did Master of Puppets. Granted, I have heard bootlegs of DT doing the album, and while it sounds good live, I didn't pay to see a cover band. Just my opinion.

Larry - I do agree with you that it would be cool for a festival, but not your own headline run. I bet a large portion of the crowd won't even know the material.

I am a long-time Maiden fanboy, so it will be nice to NOT hear the Trooper, Run to the Hills, and # of the Beast for the zillionth time live.

Jasonic said:
Regarding the Dream Theater doing Metallica for example....
To be honest, I am glad I didn't make that gig at the Vic when they did Master of Puppets. Granted, I have heard bootlegs of DT doing the album, and while it sounds good live, I didn't pay to see a cover band.

oh, they played a full set of their own material, too

Novembers Paul said:
I've seen Maiden on the Somewhere in Time tour, and again with 7th Son tour. I don't need to go see them play the entire new CD. I've already seen them at their best.

They are still great live.
I guess it depends on how much of a fan you are.
There are some bands who I will always go see live
At least in this case, I know I will be hearing songs live I have never heard before. Though I can see it seeming crappy to a non-fanboy or fangirl who would only be expecting the classics.

Yeah, I went to see Aqua live cause I heard they had knew songs. Sure, all of their songs suck (except Barbie Girl) but still, it's always fun to hear brand new songs, huh? :)

Jasonic said:
Ok, well then at least HALF the set was good. :lol:
J/K , I like Dream Theater......
Perhaps not Metallica, though. :p
On which completely uninteresting note I might add I saw a van in the street the other day for a company called Metalika. How 'bout that, now? (Make of it what you will.)

Novembers Paul said:
I've seen Maiden on the Somewhere in Time tour, and again with 7th Son tour. I don't need to go see them play the entire new CD. I've already seen them at their best.

ha! someone who agrees with me on those 2 albums! too bad I couldn't move this quote to the other thread lol.