Can I get a "hell yeah" for.. (PART 2):

dan of bereavement said:
ha! someone who agrees with me on those 2 albums! too bad I couldn't move this quote to the other thread lol.

"At their best" may have been a strong a statement. I guess what I should have said was "in the 80's before the split"

"7th Son of a 7th Son" is a pretty poor CD. It was written to make "Somehwere in Time" seem like a good CD. In the same way a CD like "St. Anger" now makes "Load" and "ReLoad: better CD's. :lol:

Novembers Paul said:
"At their best" may have been a strong a statement. I guess what I should have said was "in the 80's before the split"

"7th Son of a 7th Son" is a pretty poor CD. It was written to make "Somehwere in Time" seem like a good CD. In the same way a CD like "St. Anger" now makes "Load" and "ReLoad: better CD's. :lol:

7th Son is a POOR CD? Holy crap!! I didn't know you smoked dope?

"Somewhere In Time" had merit, I enjoyed that record though its far from best. I dunno, alot of people consider "Seventh Son..." to be their "proggy" record and I guess that's somewhat accurate. I just don't personally think they're at their best when being "proggy". "Can I Play With Madness?" is just such a wretched song, to me anyhow.

Okay I'm going to go listen to "Killers" and "Powerslave" just to redeem myself lol

Ok, but what about the more epic (I guess some might say proggy) tracks such as, "The Evil That Men Do", "Infinite Dreams", "The Clairvoyant", "Seventh Son", etc?

"evil that men do", "infinite dreams", and "clairvoyant" are okay songs, but they aren't what I feel is really classic Maiden. Again I mean this is all just a matter of personal taste and I don't knock anyone for feeling differently than I do. Everyone seems to think their next cd, "No Prayer for the Dying", was a complete waste and yet I enjoyed that more than "Seventh Son...". "Tailgunner" was the best song I'd heard them do since "Powerslave" era.

I will say this though, just to be clear......even Maiden at their worst, is still better than many other metal bands at their best, in my opinion. I'd listen to "Seventh Son..." on infinite repeat play before I'd listen to the majority of black metal, power metal and grindcore that's come out in the last 10 years. But hey that's just me....

Hey,
I have no problems if someone says, "Maiden's best days are behind them, etc" That's their opinion. The new CD is VERY good. Apparently, 18,000 at the Allstate Arena feel the same way (As about 75% of the audience knew every lyric to every track on the new album).

People write off bands at various points in their career for various reasons. You know my reasoning (right or wrong for writing off Celtic Frost). I have written off Megadeth simply for the reason that I absolutely can NOT stand Dave Mustaine.

Maiden though keeps things interesting for their fans who chose to stick with them. No two tours have EVER been the same, esp since Bruce has come back to the band.

Needless to say, it is a great time for Maiden fans. I am still excited about their new output. I truly believe they are one of very few bands who have been around as long as they have who still have a lot left in them. (While I like Priest as well, Angel of Retribution wasn't exactly stellar, save a few tracks)

Well, sorry for the ramble. I guess I expected more from Paul in defense of his knocking of Maiden than "I have taste"

Jasonic said:
Well, sorry for the ramble. I guess I expected more from Paul in defense of his knocking of Maiden than "I have taste"

Sorry to disappoint you. I have no desire to argue over a band I have such little interest in. I stated an opinion on a piece of the bands back catalog, and you chose to comment that because I don't share your opinion, I must be on dope. So, instead of getting into some long pissing match with you about a band you're obviously passionte about, I chose a short response.

Novembers Paul said:
Sorry to disappoint you. I have no desire to argue over a band I have such little interest in. I stated an opinion on a piece of the bands back catalog, and you chose to comment that because I don't share your opinion, I must be on dope. So, instead of getting into some long pissing match with you about a band you're obviously passionte about, I chose a short response.

You make a valid point. The "dope" comment was out of line.....
Everyone is indeed entitled to his or her own opinion.
I am an admitted fanboy, guilty as charged.

I do recall a lot of people being dissappointed when Seventh Son came out, because it was indeed a step in a different direction.

Over time though, many songs on that album have become "classic" Maiden tracks that have become staple tracks live.

Lionfrost said:
Good point. Arrogance doesn't really cut it in the metal scene if you ask me.

It's not even the arrogance. It's more of the fact that I find it absolutely pathetic that he can't get over getting booted from Metallica.

Bottom line - The band just got a record deal, and your inability to remain sober at critical times were keeping them back. He acts as if he is the first person who has ever gotten kicked out of a band for drugs or alcohol.

Furthermore, he could never just appreciate the success he had on his own (Which should certainly be more rewarding, considering it is HIS band).

Dave has a very severe problem, that goes beyond just being a drug addict. I do sort of feel sorry for him, because as you said, he's acheived so much for himself and isn't really able to appreciate it. And I think it is much more than just him being an arrogant baby, I think he has some severe mental/emotional problems. It's amazing he's still alive to be honest.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Dave has a very severe problem, that goes beyond just being a drug addict. I do sort of feel sorry for him, because as you said, he's acheived so much for himself and isn't really able to appreciate it. And I think it is much more than just him being an arrogant baby, I think he has some severe mental/emotional problems. It's amazing he's still alive to be honest.

I am pretty sure he gave up drinking when he became "Born Again".

It is a shame he didn't realize the talent he had in the band. Hell, he has gotten to work with Nick Menza, Al Pitrelli, Dave Ellefson, Marty fuckin' Friedman, etc. No one wants to work with him anymore. On their Behind the Music, Dave Ellefson said something along the lines of it was hard to enjoy their success. They would be playing arenas, yet Dave was STILL talking about getting booted from Metallica.

You are right Larry. There are obvious internal unresolved issues with that man.

Just as you guys are "I don't give a damn" about Maiden, I am the same way now for years with Megadeth.

Al Pitrelli never fit into that band, in my opinion, though he's a good musician regardless. Nick Menza is a sketchy fuck-up, and had his chance to do the reunion a few years ago but fucked that up for himself. They're better off now with the Drovers anyhow. Marty Friedman is a fantastic guitarist but I can't quite figure out exactly what direction he's heading in other than being the king of Japan lol

As for being born again and not drinking or drugging anymore.....no matter what you do or how long you go without it, once an addict, always an addict. I think his addictions are there to hide some more serious mental issues underneath. Well anyhow...

To emphasize something, you say "you guys" might not "give a damn" about Maiden but I am a very big Maiden fan. Not big enough to pay crazy ticket prices to see them anymore but I've seen Maiden around a half dozen times or so over the years so that's okay :) I haven't heard the new album yet but I plan to check it out. I don't even necessarily feel that "Maidens best days are behind them" because they're still a fantastic band and put on great shows, and generally I've enjoyed their albums in recent years. I just dislike "Seventh Son..." and thought that tour was boring *shrug* That's pretty much it. lol

Another great Maiden show I saw was on the Fear of the Dark tour. I thought they were really on fire at that show, excellent set list too.

Di'Anno definitely fit the early material a lot better than Dickinson.
They are simply two different kinds of singers.
While I love the S/T and Killers as well, it is the more epic tracks of Maiden that I have always been a sucker for.

I don't know what happened, but something happened many years ago that prevents Di'Anno from performing in the US. It's a shame because it would be cool to hear the early material performed by Paul. (even if he does look like EMINEM these days)