Can I get away with re-amping using Radial's ProDI passive?

Ice Man

Sep 18, 2006
West Palm Beach, FL
Hey, all. I was looking into picking up Radial's X-Amp for re-amping purposes and they seem to pair it up with their J48 active box. Can I get away with using my Radial ProDI passive? Thanks!

Regards,
Daniel

Some people use a passive DI in reverse, but the consensus seems to be that better results can be achieved with a dedicated re-amp box. There's a slightly cheaper passive Radial re-amp box called the ProRMP which I have that works fine.

Some people use a passive DI in reverse, but the consensus seems to be that better results can be achieved with a dedicated re-amp box. There's a slightly cheaper passive Radial re-amp box called the ProRMP which I have that works fine.

Nah, what I'm asking is much simpler than that. I plan on getting the X-amp re amp box, but I was just curious if the passive DI would track a clean signal well enough for the x-amp to boost, or should I just spring for an active DI? Probably a stupid question, but I'm just making sure.

Dunno really... I just reamp by running the firepod headphone output through a boss EQ pedal and right into the guitar amp input. Works like a charm.

I think Ice Man's question is still being misunderstood. He will buy the X-Amp for reamping, but Radial reccomend using thier active DI TOGETHER with the X-amp, and he wants to know if the results will be decent enough if he uses his own DI instead of the one they recommend ?

I think Ice Man's question is still being misunderstood. He will buy the X-Amp for reamping, but Radial reccomend using thier active DI TOGETHER with the X-amp, and he wants to know if the results will be decent enough if he uses his own DI instead of the one they recommend ?

Correct! Thank you. Someone gets it. I'd totally give you a prize if I had prizes to give.

The DI I have is even a Radial box, I just didn't know if there was a major different between passive and active.

Thanks!

I see said the blind man!

Ok....the active vs passive DI argument has been around for a while. There's a thread on this over at gearslutz....here: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=89637

I use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI which is both active and passive. I use it passive-ly most of the time, into my Fireface and boost the signal with the mic pres in that. I use it for both guitar and bass tracks. I only use the active circuitry when re-amping bass tracks to use the dirty amp sim settings.

If your DI is a radial box and you have a decent pre to run it into to boost the signal, it'll be fine.

POD XT - when recording the DI track I run the parallel out from the DI box to my POD and record that to a separate track.

I see said the blind man!

Ok....the active vs passive DI argument has been around for a while. There's a thread on this over at gearslutz....here: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=89637

I have the Radial J48 Active DI myself, because I was told by a Radial rep at NAMM that it's the better choice for active pickups like my EMGs. A lot of us here use actives, so I assume that is the better choice for us. I've been very happy with the J48, it beats any other DI I've tried.