Can I make a cheap into something worth playing?

Rookie Bassist

Tarot rulez all!
Mar 8, 2010
SoCal
I dunno if I was a fool today but I put a Striker 300ST by Kramer on layaway today at GC...I thought I researched enough as I had my iPad with me but I failed to learn the body is cheap freaking plywood???? Argh! It needs work, just the 5 way switch is dead on one of the spots, and the bridge humbucker is loose...my teacher does repairs ...

liked it, it wasn't some super axe but I liked it. Neck is comfy
Has s/s/h pups, Floyd rose bridge....neck is nice, i don't know how to play but it made some noise lol...

I want to upgrade the hell out of it when I get it..it's $130.....too much or keep it?

If you really want a Kramer, I'd look on ebay and try to find one of the 80's models for fairly cheap. I'm not sure about the quality of newer Kramers, but the old ones were pretty damn good. At one point in the 80's Kramer was THE guitar company. Since this is apparently going to be your first guitar though, $130 isn't a bad deal I guess. I'm sure you'll be able to fix it up but it will never be a really great guitar, just keep that in mind. Interesting choice in guitars man, I'm an old school guy and I love old Kramer's but most people now look at them as "those hair metal guitars".

Now, you say you want to upgrade it. I'm guessing you want to change the pickups in it? If so, you're looking at possibly putting almost $200 into a $130 dollar guitar, which I know I wouldn't do. If I were you, and you really want a Kramer, keep the extra money you want to spend on pickups and buy a better guitar. You could end up with a fairly nice Kramer for about 300 bucks, made of real wood, and will more than likely play better than the cheap one you are about to pick up.

You may be able to, not really sure what their policy is regarding something like that. My advice to you as a beginning guitarist is to search for something used for your first instrument, especially if you are low on cash. You'd be surprised at how many great deals you can come across on ebay, craigslist, whatever. You may end up with a pretty nice guitar for a very low price.

Yeah I learned with my basses, buy used...never new.
I hoped this thing would have been a fun project, learn how to do stuff like p'ups and all that...eh who knows..man i feel dumb. lol

No need to feel dumb about it, no harm really. I'm just not really sure that guitar would be worth the hassle. I think you could get a used guitar of much better value for pretty cheap and it would serve you better. Also, since it would be a better guitar investing in pickups would only make it better.

Yes, patience is always a virtue. You can find wicked bargains on eBay and Craigslist.... the more you look the more you have the chance of finding a wicked instrument for a solid price.