Can I realistically achieve an awesome guitar tone with a Pod XT Pro?

Oct 16, 2010
Uk
Hi.

I'm pretty new here and it definitely seems that there are a lot of people here that really know their stuff. Pretty much every track I've heard sounds very well produced.

It seems the true key to guitar tone is a decent all valve amp. It's not exactly an enlightenment, I know all valve amps cranked up kick the shit out of any solid state amp simulator, but...

...why do you always see a Pod XT Pro in any professional studio...

As a hypothetical question... If someone who really knew what they were doing was at the controls of a Pod XT, could they deliver similar results to a fully cranked valve amp, without re-amping or going through any analogue valve gear?

If so, got any presets you wanna share? :p

...why do you always see a Pod XT Pro in any professional studio...

Usually they are used for quick ideas, scratch tracks and such. Sometimes for clean guitars. That's my experience, anyway. There are people who use them for the finished product, though, like Sturgis.

As a hypothetical question... If someone who really knew what they were doing was at the controls of a Pod XT, could they deliver similar results to a fully cranked valve amp, without re-amping or going through any analogue valve gear?

Similar? Kinda. Same? Nope. For some stuff a Pod-ish tone could work wonders, other stuff screams for a real amp. It all depends on the context, but either way, you can get pretty convincing tones from a Pod with a bit of tweaking. I'm not personally a fan of the tone at all, but that's just me.

If so, got any presets you wanna share? :p

Awwww fuck.

Rape incoming.

How so?

I'm not asking for "EQ settings for a track".

The sounds I hear from the majority of the tracks here sound very defined and I realise that these need to work in context with a mix, but my guitar tone always seems to fail in the context of a mix, so if I could have what could perhaps be considered a decent guitar tone to begin with (in terms of a mix) then I could sacrafice other instruments around it, since the guitar work is my primary driving force in my music.

How so?

I'm not asking for "EQ settings for a track".

The sounds I hear from the majority of the tracks here sound very defined and I realise that these need to work in context with a mix, but my guitar tone always seems to fail in the context of a mix, so if I could have what could perhaps be considered a decent guitar tone to begin with (in terms of a mix) then I could sacrafice other instruments around it, since the guitar work is my primary driving force in my music.

I didn't wanna be rude, it's just that people asking for presets are really not well tolerated over here.

Try out the Diamondplate (or something like that) with the Screamer and Treadplate cab, no room, fiddle with knobs a bit, put the tone a bit up and the gain a bit down in the Screamer and it should already sound decent.

The last 3 or 4 My Dying Bride records, all the distorted stuff is POD XT (and a bit of Eleven rack). IMO the latest one really has a killer sound.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWwRcRcNNYY&feature=fvw[/ame]

Edit: whoops wrong vid.

Edit: updated info after a little research.