Can It Really Be True?

I cannot see this really going anywhere for a long time. I am sure that they both are still really busy with other things. I also doubt Portnoy will be involved in the end somehow. Gavin would be awesome. Maybe they could bring Martin Lopez in?

all of DT members are skilled, no doubt. But it's the most boring band i ever heard. I'd choose Gavin in a blink of an eye. As far the project goes, must agree that will be something pretentious, i'm not having high hopes about it.

I'm seeing Dream Theater in a 2 weeks and I know I am going to be bored lol. I do not think their music really is boring, I actually love listening to them just because of how talented they really are. Petrucci in my opinion is the most talented guitar player of all time, Portnoy is maybe the most talented drummer of all time, John Myung is an awesome bass player, Jordan Rudess is a great keyboard player(Also note that Kevin Morre is great as well), and James Labrie is terrible lol.

Petrucci in my opinion is the most talented guitar player of all time

Petrucci is really the only current member of DT I like; however, if you listen to him talk about his influences you can tell he considers different players as his superiors at least in certain aspects. There is too many phenomenal players out there to precisely say someone is the best. Again there are so many different aspects of playing, and different techniques that you get a plethora of different styles. As far as well rounded players I've heard Petrucci himself admit that Satriana is a more complete, well rounded player.

I know you said in your opinion, but it's kind of silly considering it's a matter that's far too vast to get a practical gauge on. I think saying, "imo he's the greatest" would be reasonable.

I cannot see this really going anywhere for a long time. I am sure that they both are still really busy with other things. I also doubt Portnoy will be involved in the end somehow. Gavin would be awesome. Maybe they could bring Martin Lopez in?

You do know Lopez quit Opeth right? I wouldn't even want to hear Lopez on this album anyway, he tends to use the same rudiments over and over.

Petrucci is really the only current member of DT I like; however, if you listen to him talk about his influences you can tell he considers different players as his superiors at least in certain aspects. There is too many phenomenal players out there to precisely say someone is the best. Again there are so many different aspects of playing, and different techniques that you get a plethora of different styles. As far as well rounded players I've heard Petrucci himself admit that Satriana is a more complete, well rounded player.

I know you said in your opinion, but it's kind of silly considering it's a matter that's far too vast to get a practical gauge on. I think saying, "imo he's the greatest" would be reasonable.

I think that Satch is a versital guitar player. Having said that I think John is as well, and I think he is a better writer, his music is more complex, and I'll just say it his solos are just amazing. Not knocking on satch I love satch, I just think John is more talented thats all.

In the last year, yes actually.

How come? I ceritanly dont think that Opeth's or PT's latest releases are boring. I think they both released their most diverse albums to date. People who say things like this neven seem to explain why they find Opeth or PT boring. It often boils down to that they dont like Steven Wilsons personality or something like that.

Well I just got nothing out of The Incident in the 3-4 listens I gave it, it seemed completely directionless, stale, and pretentious. Watershed on the other hand, I've probably heard 30ish times, and can rant to you about it on a number of subjects even though I actually really like most of the songs on their own.

If this were about 8 years ago, it would be masturbation-worthy.

I think Porcupine Tree and his other projects have to be taken on a song by song basis. There's not an album of his where I can say I love every song. I was listening to Watershed and Ghost Reveries the other day and I just think Mike is declining as a song writer. Ghost Reveries has some moments, and Watershed has even less. He should do the unpredictable and quit writing death-metal all together. His death vox are getting worse and worse every album. The fathomless mastery is probably his worst vocal performance imo, its not like he can keep screaming forever anyway, his voice will be shot and he won't be able to sing clean anymore if he keeps going at this rate.

Some of my favorite opeth moments are one's on BWP and Deliverance where Wilson contributed alot of Piano work on acoustic pieces, or as outro and/or intro's. Ex. Leper Affinity, Patterns in the Ivy, A Fair judgement - be interesting to hear some Dark stuff like that

i hope this album has little mike portnoy on it actually

i just think he would turn it into a 70's prog experiment with nothing really special about it (like anything could top the Yes album "fragile")

im really hoping for an experimental album, real weird and real dark

I think Porcupine Tree and his other projects have to be taken on a song by song basis. There's not an album of his where I can say I love every song. I was listening to Watershed and Ghost Reveries the other day and I just think Mike is declining as a song writer. Ghost Reveries has some moments, and Watershed has even less. He should do the unpredictable and quit writing death-metal all together. His death vox are getting worse and worse every album. The fathomless mastery is probably his worst vocal performance imo, its not like he can keep screaming forever anyway, his voice will be shot and he won't be able to sing clean anymore if he keeps going at this rate.

Some of my favorite opeth moments are one's on BWP and Deliverance where Wilson contributed alot of Piano work on acoustic pieces, or as outro and/or intro's. Ex. Leper Affinity, Patterns in the Ivy, A Fair judgement - be interesting to hear some Dark stuff like that

Don't tell him to do the unpredictable, that'll just encourage him to keep up with this "fluid songwriting is dumb, I wanna be different [aka write disjointed songs]" phase.

And I really like/love every song on Lightbulb Sun.

Don't tell him to do the unpredictable, that'll just encourage him to keep up with this "fluid songwriting is dumb, I wanna be different [aka write disjointed songs]" phase.

And I really like/love every song on Lightbulb Sun.

Porcupine Tree is definitely an album band.
As for Mikael, I think his clean vocals are in decline as well.

To each his own, but I still think he sounded his best on Ghost Reveries. Anything on Watershed is a step down.

opeth have become less interesting lately, but i think i just burned myself out of them, watershed is pretty good. ghost reveries is what got me into them (now id say my favorite album is my arms your hearse).

id say mikeals vocals on both ends have improved.

i get the feeling most people will be always disappointed with a bands new album, because it's "not still life 2" or "not blackwater park 2".
nothing can ever live up to the hype we sometimes set up in our minds

Nah, we're disappointed because they aren't making as good of music in our opinions. Counterexample: Ecailles wasn't Souvenirs 2, but it was still teh awesome despite having a lot of hype in some circles.